2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Herr_Koos wrote:
06 May 2021, 11:57
mwillems wrote:
06 May 2021, 11:50
SmallSoldier wrote:
06 May 2021, 02:00

This are always great discussions! Always something to learn and at least for me, the reason why I joined the forum :)

Try this link:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's the same unfortunately, unavailable for me.
When it takes you to the "Video Unavailable" screen, just click the "Watch on Youtube" link. Or search for the video on Youtube using the name.
So you can, and he does indeed change the diff quite clearly.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 May 2021, 00:51
mwillems wrote:
diffuser wrote:
05 May 2021, 18:04

SS quoted that before. I'll repeat what I said to him ...it says "Verstappen was finding from as early as the formation lap that the inner wheel was spinning at Turns 1-2. So, he reacted by choosing a higher degree of locking on the diff. The read-out on the steering wheel confirmed his choice, but the behaviour of the car was unchanged. Therefore he was having to adapt his driving accordingly, by being less aggressive with the power application out of those low-speed corners."

so he was trying to make the change before the race started, which is suggested to be allowed. by "The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their Characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track."

That even suggests that when one comes in for a pitstop to change tires, a change to the diff setting can be made. You just can't while on track in race conditions (change corner to corner).
Fair enough I didn't see it posted, I just thought it was useful.

There is also this, I didn't see this posted but it also seems useful. it's Gary Anderson, I know, but all the same, it seems to suggest there is a lot of free play not only to have different maps, but to be able to select them. It says there are only two regs for the differential, neither seems to suggest anything about in race, but who knows.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-f1-d ... ials-work/
Thanks for the article! That’s one that I didn’t find.

After going through the Technical and Sporting regulations there is not one that directly refers to the differential and the only one aside from the “Traction Control” regulation that may apply is the one regarding drivers driving unassisted, which means that the differential can be changed by a pre-programmed run plan for each corner (just as Renault was caught doing with their Brake Bias).

From I can tell, the only real rule is that you can't have automated responses to sensors on the car, so you can have pre programmed maps and you can overide them manually, but obviously the team can't assist with that in any way, either.

But I did get to watch the Danny Ric lip in the Renault, and the changes being made is phenomenal. I don't like it though, as a gut instinct, I want as many aids removed as possible, but I'm also aware that it could make the car undriveable in changeable or full wet conditions, for instance, so with the power these cars release, it may be necessary.

Still, I'm all for removing as many in race changes as possible to see the teams drive their way through issues, and not reprogram.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando Norris interview on Formula1.com:

“It’s been, definitely, the best season I’ve had so far, the best continuation of races that I’ve had so far in Formula 1,” he began, “So I would love to keep it up, but a good race doesn’t necessarily mean a lot of points and great position.

“A good race could be if we finished eighth or ninth, it could be that we’ve achieved everything that we can. We’ll wait and see; it’s very close between a lot of the pack, especially towards the middle, and it can definitely swing one way or another. We’ll try and keep doing what we’re doing but it’s not easy and it won’t be a surprise if we’re a little bit further back every now and then."

Asked why he’s not keeping his hopes too high this season, Norris explained that he was being realistic as things can always go wrong over the course of a race weekend.

“I mean, I think things have gone very well for us,” he said. “I feel like I’m doing a good job myself through qualifying and putting in the laps when I need to. Maybe not so much at Imola or Portugal in Q3… but everything apart form that has gone very well and the race as well, on the restarts, the launches, a lot of things are going well but it’s just as easy for it to go not so well.

“I want to continue what we’re doing. Being behind Mercedes and Red Bull is still the target and where we believe we can be. I’m not getting my hopes up too much for every race. We’ll try to do what we’re doing and continue it, but it very easily could be a P6, a P7 or a P8. I’m realistic, but I’m sure we can continue what we’re doing.” he added.

- I agree with him, with the fight been so close to the ones behind (and a seemingly resurgent Alpine)... There will be weekends when things won’t go our way... But we are in the thick of it!

mwillems

His attitude is spot on, focused on what he wants to do, fending off complacency and managing the current set of expectations and pressures in a quite intelligent manner.

Daniel may not be getting the results he wants right now, but it shouldn't be forgotten that he is a perfect role model for Lando and just being in the team has probably helped Lando step up mentally.

Not just because of how his reputation would make any driver sharpen up quick, but also in the way he handles himself.

_cerber1

Herr_Koos

So, first soft tyre run for Lando. Matched Hamilton in S1 and S2, but lost around 3 tenths in S3.

Emag
Emag

Herr_Koos wrote:
07 May 2021, 12:10
So, first soft tyre run for Lando. Matched Hamilton in S1 and S2, but lost around 3 tenths in S3.
I expect it to be more in line of 0.2-0.25 come qualifying, but they are definitely losing the bulk of the time in that sector. That chicane is the literal embodiment of McLaren's weakness. I reckon with the old layout (without the chicane), Lando could have probably had a repeat of Imola qualifying here.

MrGapes

Well hey not bad in my books... considering we have a pretty significant upgrade, it may take the drivers a bit more to understand these updates work and make changes setup wise... plus 3 tenths to the Merc's in final sec sounds fabulous!

Macklaren
Macklaren

Herr_Koos wrote:
07 May 2021, 12:10
He had a big wobble midway through the last "corner"... Def lost time

mwillems

Remember that they need to get the car set up with these new updates. Let's see how it goes.

Aslo remember the difference between P3 and Q is quite substantial in every race so far this season and many in last season, so really don't read too much into it, Mclaren have improved much more than most teams after practice and into Qualy.

Herr_Koos

Yeah, not making any judgements on how good or bad it was. Simply an observation.

Emag
Emag

Ugh, I hate it that they have gone so slow in practice sessions ever since Bahrain. I know it is not representative, because they are slower than in FP1, but it still is annoying seeing them down the order

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
07 May 2021, 14:13
Remember that they need to get the car set up with these new updates. Let's see how it goes.

Aslo remember the difference between P3 and Q is quite substantial in every race so far this season and many in last season, so really don't read too much into it, Mclaren have improved much more than most teams after practice and into Qualy.

Just heard Karun Chandhok say on Sky that Mclaren confirmed the updates worked as expected but that setup needs to change to work with the updates - just as you said... =D> =D>

BosF1
BosF1

Emag wrote:
07 May 2021, 15:35
Ugh, I hate it that they have gone so slow in practice sessions ever since Bahrain. I know it is not representative, because they are slower than in FP1, but it still is annoying seeing them down the order
Yeah, it's quite the opposite of last year, where Macca was generally showing good pace in practice sessions and not always been able to keep that up in qualifying. I like what they've done this year better, though :lol:

Macklaren
Macklaren

Long run pace ~2 secs slower than the Merc and 1 sec behind RBR. When do we start to panic?
(just kidding, I think)