2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Benson :lol: :lol:
He hasn’t said anything because it doesn’t involve Hamilton :roll:
Just a fan's point of view

McG

Ground Effect wrote:
13 May 2021, 21:41
I’d be disappointed if it’s a LeMans announcement, even if Lando and Daniel are behind the wheel. I’d also be disappointed if it’s a Formula E entry announcement, even though both scenarios are great and all. I don’t think they’d be worth all the hype and media embargo that’s going on. Stuff like that you just announce and get fans excited about it, not build it up.
As a supporter of the McLaren F1 team, the GT3 and GT4 McLaren teams, I would love to see a McLaren Le Mans team if it's a cool new race car. FE sucks though and I never bothered with the Indycar stuff so I understand you not loving absolutely everything McLaren might get into.

Hoping it's the Le Mans thing or...

Big engine manufacturer deal for the future... Mercedes preferably but possibly a VAG brand but maybe VAG will have to pull one if those brands from GT3 or use the VW brand which would be mega mega massive. But VAG have other brands that won't clash so maybe they can have whoever build it and whack whatever name on it. I despise all VAG brands in GT3 and GT4 hahah! They are the enemy!

Big paying title sponsor.

Surely Zak is capable of securing something like one of the above especially now that McLaren are so close to being awesome again.
F1 is dead.

geogate

charliesmithhd wrote:
11 May 2021, 21:59

Media event for it, must be big
not sure if it is relevant, but that picture is of Unit 22, Albert Drive, which is currently occupied by Mclaren automotive I believe. Cant quite see why an F1 specific media event would have been held there.
edit - i see that has been mentioned before .. i'll get my coat

SmallSoldier

geogate wrote:
charliesmithhd wrote:
11 May 2021, 21:59

Media event for it, must be big
not sure if it is relevant, but that picture is of Unit 22, Albert Drive, which is currently occupied by Mclaren automotive I believe. Cant quite see why an F1 specific media event would have been held there.
edit - i see that has been mentioned before .. i'll get my coat
Since it was the first in person event with media they have had since Covid started, maybe they avoided the MTC as part of their Covid protocols

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M840TR

Coke title sponsor.

Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
14 May 2021, 06:43
Coke title sponsor.
Is that a guess?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

I suppose it could be Coke, but I don't think that it would be good for the team and group, just the team, and not warrant this announcement.

An IPO could be on the cards, but I don't think the company is quite in the right place for that yet, despite bonds returning to their pre covid levels.

There was a genuine tie in that amounted to nothing in the end, from a few years back, and that was Apple. That would go down as one of the very lower of possibilities, but I'll put it out there anyway. Another Tech company might be on the horizon.

This speculation game is fun. Like brainfarting.

Fun fact: Elon Musk is a big fan of Mclaren Supercars (Or at least was) and wrote off a Mclaren F1 he bought when he was younger.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Herr_Koos

So, question: Given that the budget cap makes a huge influx of cash less of an issue, and considering that Zak Brown has been brilliant at getting lots of smaller partners on board, is a title sponsor really wanted / needed?

mwillems

Herr_Koos wrote:
14 May 2021, 09:32
So, question: Given that the budget cap makes a huge influx of cash less of an issue, and considering that Zak Brown has been brilliant at getting lots of smaller partners on board, is a title sponsor really wanted / needed?
Nobody will ever turn down extra money.

Do the team need it? Yes, they have a wind tunnel to finance for instance, and other CapEx projects that they will want to invest in that go beyond the budget cap. They always need more money, not to mention the owners are owed many hundreds of millions.

But I agree with where you are coming from, in that this is more than just a title sponsor, I don't think that this "I'm holding my breath because I can't tell you what I just heard at Mclaren" standpoint would come from a title sponsor.

I have this feeling at the back of my mind, that this might not just big for Mclaren but for F1 too, that someone or something is coming in which will alter course for more than just us. Again, that's based on nothing, it's just a feeling I have.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Herr_Koos

mwillems wrote:
14 May 2021, 09:45
Herr_Koos wrote:
14 May 2021, 09:32
Nobody will ever turn down extra money.

Do the team need it? Yes, they have a wind tunnel to finance for instance, and other CapEx projects that they will want to invest in that go beyond the budget cap. They always need more money, not to mention the owners are owed many hundreds of millions.

But I agree with where you are coming from, in that this is more than just a title sponsor, I don't think that this "I'm holding my breath because I can't tell you what I just heard at Mclaren" standpoint would come from a title sponsor.

I have this feeling at the back of my mind, that this might not just big for Mclaren but for F1 too, that someone or something is coming in which will alter course for more than just us. Again, that's based on nothing, it's just a feeling I have.
Fully agreed. More money would of course be needed to invest in infrastructure, an area where McLaren by their own admission have fallen behind compared to the other top teams. I'm also hoping this is more than just a sponsorship announcement. If the journos were trying to generate hype, I'd say they're succeeding.

SmallSoldier

With Turkey out and replaced by the Syrian GP, this could be positive for the team in their chase for 3rd... The team has performed well in Austria in the last couple of years and with a double header it’s a good opportunity once again for good bunch of points!

Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 May 2021, 15:27
With Turkey out and replaced by the Syrian GP, this could be positive for the team in their chase for 3rd... The team has performed well in Austria in the last couple of years and with a double header it’s a good opportunity once again for good bunch of points!

That’s great to hear! I was upset about loosing Canada, a track that should suit the 35M, to be replaced by Turkey, likely a Ferrari track. So, finally replacing with the Styrian GP is a huge relief!
That said, I hope the Mercedes PU will still be competitive there with the altitude, didn’t seem bad last year.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MrGapes

We qualified 6 tenths of pole last year 😉... oh boy I’m excited

ScrewCaptain27

Ground Effect wrote:
14 May 2021, 15:35
SmallSoldier wrote:
14 May 2021, 15:27

That’s great to hear! I was upset about loosing Canada, a track that should suit the 35M, to be replaced by Turkey, likely a Ferrari track. So, finally replacing with the Styrian GP is a huge relief!
That said, I hope the Mercedes PU will still be competitive there with the altitude, didn’t seem bad last year.
Ferrari did well in Turkey last year only because of the poor track conditions, it is ultimately a power track with the current cars
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Emag

Austria should definitely suit the MCL35M. Barely any corner you can characterize it as "slow speed" apart from T2.