2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

MrGapes wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 07:49
We really need Daniel up there.. yes more points would be great, but we need him to push Lando, Lando is young and needs this competition to elevate him
It's basically a one car team at the moment. The WCC would favour Mclaren more suitably with a reliable 2nd driver.

Macklaren

All the drivers that changed teams this year struggled for the first 3 races but Carlos, Checo and Seb all have podiums now. Only Daniel and Alonso are still struggling (though both have shown flashes of pace). The next 3 races on normal/familiar tracks will be critical to pulling them up to a normal performance level.

the EDGE

M840TR wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 14:31
MrGapes wrote:
We really need Daniel up there.. yes more points would be great, but we need him to push Lando, Lando is young and needs this competition to elevate him
It's basically a one car team at the moment. The WCC would favour Mclaren more suitably with a reliable 2nd driver.
A reliable second driver…?

I agree with the point made, but think a better choice of words could be used

Daniel has scored points in 5 of the first 6 races. Sure, he’s not on the pace of Lando yet, but no one doubts that will come

Clearly although fast, the 35m is not easy to drive. Fortunately it suits Lando, or McLaren would be looking like fools right now

Not only does Daniel need to get fully up to speed, but McLaren need to address the cars shortcomings too, even Lando says the cars characteristics are not ideal

Emag

the EDGE wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 16:05
M840TR wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

Daniel has scored points in 5 of the first 6 races. Sure, he’s not on the pace of Lando yet, but no one doubts that will come

Clearly although fast, the 35m is not easy to drive. Fortunately it suits Lando, or McLaren would be looking like fools right now

Not only does Daniel need to get fully up to speed, but McLaren need to address the cars shortcomings too, even Lando says the cars characteristics are not ideal
But in the hands of Lando, this car is twice as fast as it was last year (in relation to the gap with the leaders).

So clearly, the car has potential which is currently being extracted only by one driver.

I am not saying the car is easy or hard to drive, because nobody apart from the drivers knows that. However, when Albon and Gasly made similar comments about the difficulty of their particular cars, people didn't show the same sympathy.

Obviously, circumstances for Daniel are not the same, but he can't continue on like this for the rest of the season and expect everyone to offer him sympathy.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

the EDGE

Wouter wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 20:57
Is there a reason the performance engineer is not looking at tyre temperatures too?

I would have thought that could be quite significant in a drivers ability to match a team mate

M840TR

the EDGE wrote:
M840TR wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

Not a no.2 driver but another driver who is up to speed. I'm sure he'll be up here soon but you can't deny it's hurting the WCC.

The car is fine really. It's tricky but quick. Not every fast car is always compliant. And it's not that inconsistent either.

_cerber1

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 00:27
the EDGE wrote:
M840TR wrote:

Not a no.2 driver but another driver who is up to speed. I'm sure he'll be up here soon but you can't deny it's hurting the WCC.

The car is fine really. It's tricky but quick. Not every fast car is always compliant. And it's not that inconsistent either.
Folks are very sensitive and Daniel, I mentioned that if he doesn't pick up then 3rd in the WDC is gone, which is a fairly obvious outcome, and there was strong consternation.

I want him to come good, just like anyone, but you also can't ignore reality, he's not getting on top of the car and most would now have expected him to be doing better and now he is holding the team back.

All fan love and popularity aside, he's not paid $17m a year to be a nice guy who struggles and that is the way the team will ultimately look at it if he doesn't pick up. It doesn't matter if it cos he's an amazing driver and the car doesn't suit him, if at the end of the day he can't make the car go fast then he isn't doing his job.

But I do think he will come good, but I don't think he should escape criticism or consequences of underperforming.

It may be a hard car, but that's why F1 has the best drivers and we have paid top dollar for one of the very best right now.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

Have to say I do not buy these latest Stories / PR about MCL35M being a tricky car & Lando now suddenly saying the car is difficult to drive...

In the beginning of the year and after the first 3 races everyone was happy with MCL35M being a well balanced & quick car with a little bit of understeer...

Sounds "fishy" to me...

the EDGE

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 16:39
Have to say I do not buy these latest Stories / PR about MCL35M being a tricky car & Lando now suddenly saying the car is difficult to drive...

In the beginning of the year and after the first 3 races everyone was happy with MCL35M being a well balanced & quick car with a little bit of understeer...

Sounds "fishy" to me...
Ricardo is a top class driver & multiple F1 race winner against formidable team mates in a Mercedes dominated era

Although fast, Clearly not all is right with the 35b

SmallSoldier

What happens if Lando ends up been just faster than Daniel? It is a possibility... How can we tell if Daniel is up to speed with the car? Only if he is beating Lando regularly?

If he ends up been in within a couple of tenths with Lando, will that be acceptable?

It will be interesting to understand what our expectations about Daniel are... I am one that thought that Daniel would be faster than Lando (not at the beginning at least, but further into the season), based on his proven race craft and the experience gap between them... But Lando seems to be in a very good place right now in terms of rhythm and pace and I’m starting to wonder if we simply have underrated Lando based on his maiden couple of seasons against another driver that was also pretty underrated as Carlos (who is already showing good speed while adjusting to a new car / team).

Myself, if Ricciardo is close to Lando in Qualifying, in within a couple tenths (ahead or behind), I will consider him to be up to speed... Judging race pace unluckily is a little more of a difficult task since a plethora of other factors can play a role, from traffic, to strategy to pit stops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 20:22
What happens if Lando ends up been just faster than Daniel? It is a possibility... How can we tell if Daniel is up to speed with the car? Only if he is beating Lando regularly?

If he ends up been in within a couple of tenths with Lando, will that be acceptable?

It will be interesting to understand what our expectations about Daniel are... I am one that thought that Daniel would be faster than Lando (not at the beginning at least, but further into the season), based on his proven race craft and the experience gap between them... But Lando seems to be in a very good place right now in terms of rhythm and pace and I’m starting to wonder if we simply have underrated Lando based on his maiden couple of seasons against another driver that was also pretty underrated as Carlos (who is already showing good speed while adjusting to a new car / team).

Myself, if Ricciardo is close to Lando in Qualifying, in within a couple tenths (ahead or behind), I will consider him to be up to speed... Judging race pace unluckily is a little more of a difficult task since a plethora of other factors can play a role, from traffic, to strategy to pit stops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would expect them to be within a tenth or 2, with the faster of the 2 switching from race to race TBH

Even Bottas can be the quicker team mate at times

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 18:14
mclaren111 wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 16:39

Sounds "fishy" to me...
Ricardo is a top class driver & multiple F1 race winner against formidable team mates in a Mercedes dominated era

Although fast, Clearly not all is right with the 35b
As far as the 35B being hard to drive, I personally am just giving him the benefit of the doubt, I think that is fair.

I don't think that Lando is so much faster than Daniel, obviously we cannot put any data to that, it's gut, but Daniel has a proven pedigree at every team and has performed to an outstanding level. I think he is just struggling in the car.

Lando may still always be faster in the Mclaren, but I do not think that gap is big and I expect some to and froing to come, as it was with Carlos and Lando.

Daniel actually didn't start the season too badly, he seems to have gone downhill relative to those around him. It's a curious situation, and I hope he gets his head straight and starts powering through the field.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

billamend

Only WEC and FE remaining.