2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Good news! I think an LMdh program is also somewhat inevitable

billamend

Macklaren wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 13:35
Good news! I think an LMdh program is also somewhat inevitable
FE is for sure going to happen. I would also like to see LMdh happening

mclaren111

Chicane

The overlap between braking and turning is where Ricciardo is struggling in slow/medium speed corners. His crash in T3 in Baku is so revealing where he locked the inside front while trailing the brakes in to the corner.

He is not yet fully comfortable with trail braking in this car. The car appears to require precise and specific technique as far as trail braking is concerned.

Without pushing the limits in braking it is not possible to extract maximum out of this generation of f1 cars. I feel Paul Ricard is a perfect track to explore the limits of the car as there are plenty of run off areas. With a weak front end which has been carried over unchanged from last season the front grip is at a premium especially when braking and turning simultaneously. Norris has found that very narrow window where he is able to rotate the car without locking the brakes in slow and medium speed corners.

Ricciardo will need seat time on the car and an open circuit which does not bite to find that sweet spot. I think with setup tweaks and playing around with various driving aids be it brake balance engine braking and differential settings he will experiment a bit more in Paul Ricard. McLaren know he is loosing time while trail braking. I think we will see the beginning of Ricciardo's recovery from Paul Ricard. I am expecting a strong weekend from him, especially from Saturday onwards. Friday will be a day of experiments with setup and driving techniques for him.
Quickshifter

the EDGE

billamend wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 13:21

Only WEC and FE remaining.
I think it’s great McLaren are expanding their racing programs. Experience in any direction can only be a good thing, but especially of different drivetrains

That said, I won’t be watching. I watched race 1 & the only thing I remember is just how bad electric racing sounds. It is literally unpleasant to listen too that annoying screeching, whining sound. Manufacturers must do something to muffle it.

Also the format it terrible, far too slow to stay focused, the entire show is actually just one big eco message punctuated with with the odd shot of a car being driven over some ruff ground 😴

Macklaren

the EDGE wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 12:48
billamend wrote:

I think it’s great McLaren are expanding their racing programs. Experience in any direction can only be a good thing, but especially of different drivetrains

That said, I won’t be watching. I watched race 1 & the only thing I remember is just how bad electric racing sounds. It is literally unpleasant to listen too that annoying screeching, whining sound. Manufacturers must do something to muffle it.

Also the format it terrible, far too slow to stay focused, the entire show is actually just one big eco message punctuated with with the odd shot of a car being driven over some ruff ground 😴
I haven't watched yet but read that Round 2 was much better than Round 1

mclaren111

I couldn't watch longer than 10 minutes... Boring... :( :(

_cerber1

LONG READ: Daniel Ricciardo on adapting to McLaren, partnering Norris, and finding perspective in the bad days

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... UTrkR.html

adrianjordan

Macklaren wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 00:59
the EDGE wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 12:48
billamend wrote:

I haven't watched yet but read that Round 2 was much better than Round 1
I haven't watched yet, but not because it looks boring, but because coverage seems very haphazard that I don't know where to watch or when!!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

SmallSoldier

With FP1 just a few hours away, let’s hope the team hits the ground running… I am very optimistic about the weekend and believe that Lando may surprise and have an strong performance this weekend.

Paul Ricard seems to be a circuit he enjoys and where he has an slight edge, he did great here in F2 and qualified 5th in 2019 if with the MCL34… The car also seems to suit the medium and high speed corners that are prevalent in this circuit.

It could also be a great venue for Daniel to turn around things, with very generous run off areas, finding the limits should be less intimidating and easier for him to push the car without worrying too much about potential mistakes… He did great in 2019 here also in a similar position as he is now, getting at that time used to the Renault car and arguably a race where he started turning things around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Herr_Koos

Danny Ric matching and even beating Lando on early runs so far. Early days yet but doesn't look like he'll be that far off this time around.

MrGapes

Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 11:54
Danny Ric matching and even beating Lando on early runs so far. Early days yet but doesn't look like he'll be that far off this time around.
haha I felt that.... then on the soft run lando was up around 6 tenths up in the first 2 sectors :(

Emag

Yeah, shame for traffic. Lando would have been quite a bit faster than Daniel.

He went a tenth quicker on older tires anyway. Still FP1 though. Not writing Daniel off so soon.

MrGapes

I believe Lando and Daniel possibly running different chassis