2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

f1rules wrote:Well it didnt materialize in the previous races so whats wrong with that statement?
Finally running more df payed off, and ferrari being punished for running less
BosF1 wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:04
f1rules wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 19:07
Lets see, they said that many times and seldom materialized, very dissapointed in this team right now, incredible ferrari where able to pass mclaren and be in the position we wanted to be in, their car just seem overall better and easy to hit the setup sweetsport while mclaren dont seem to have any real strengths at all
Well... that aged poorly :lol:
I wouldn’t say that “it hasn’t materialized”… Lando has scored in every race, he has also finished higher than he started on every race and the team has managed 2 podiums already this season.

The team could be doing better if everything would have clicked on every race… The fact that they are fighting for P3 is in itself quiet an achievement considering that they couldn’t spend tokens to fix weaknesses on the car in between seasons and with a budget in 2020 that was less than half of Ferrari.

I wouldn’t call it “disappointing”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

McFAN

It was a fun race, and a good weekend. Enjoyed being able to attack, and use the brakes a bit better. I think coming to Austria, there are a few big braking zones, so that will be a big test. We changed a few things on my car to help with that this weekend, so [Austria] will be the test.
Daniel Ricciardo, McLaren

f1rules

Well in both spain, monaco and azerba… ferrari had stronger qual and race pace so… and thats the only team i compare to
Last edited by f1rules on 20 Jun 2021, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.

bauc

I read the comments how Mclaren has lost its way, no development whatsoever.... overtaken by Ferrari ect....

Wow how fast people forget that this chassis was never meant for a Mercedes PU and that with the limited changes allowed by FIA we actually have a ''Frankenstein'' car this year that .... guess what people.... it works well enough on most of the tracks so far, while the other teams like Ferrari spent their development tokens updeting and fine tuning their existing chassis.

So take what you can and enjoy this last season of this set of rules people.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Emag

bauc wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:18
I read the comments how Mclaren has lost its way, no development whatsoever.... overtaken by Ferrari ect....

Wow how fast people forget that this chassis was never meant for a Mercedes PU and that with the limited changes allowed by FIA we actually have a ''Frankenstein'' car this year that .... guess what people.... it works well enough on most of the tracks so far, while the other teams like Ferrari spent their development tokens updeting and fine tuning their existing chassis.

So take what you can and enjoy this last season of this set of rules people.
Nobody has forgotten anything. And you can't deny they have done an amazing job to keep the car this competitive considering the handicaps.

I am with you, it's nice to celebrate when things go right, but it is equally important to stand back and reflect when things don't go to plan.

It is true that others struggled a lot today, whereas McLaren did not, so props to them. But it is also true they have been beaten by Ferrari every qualifying session this year. It is also true that in the last couple of races, they seemed to slip back a bit.

You have to admit your shortcomings, or you will never have any growth (this is true for anything in life, not just F1).

If your aim is to be the best, the last thing you should do is rely on excuses (like Mr. Otmar early on in the season). Never do that, instead put your head down and work through whatever disadvantage you think you have.

It is the only way to push forward. I am not saying that you should never admit defeat. That would just be delusional. All I am saying is that you shouldn't be "happy" when your competitor does better than you.

If we are "critical" when things go wrong, it's because we want the team to aim for the absolute best, just like they used to a long time ago.

People are often "too positive" (if that's even a thing) around here.
It is okay to be disappointed.

BosF1

f1rules wrote:
Well in both spain, monaco and azerba… ferrari had stronger qual and race pace so… and thats the only team i compare to
You keep referring to the last 2 races, but the problem with that is that both those tracks are unique because they are streetcircuits which always tend to shake up the pecking order a bit. We won't be having any other streetcircuits this year, hence they are not indicative for the real pace. They are outliers.

Paul Ricard, however, has characteristics that are much more comparable to other circuits, with one high speed - long straight sector, one mid/high speed cornering sector and one slow speed cornering sector. And McLaren were better on the 'traditional' circuits than Ferrari, given the the lead they had in de WCC before Monaco.

Of course, things can change with updates etc, but I think the team deserves a bit more faith, given their development path the last 2.5 years. They have shown they can develop a good car during the winter, which they are able to improve during the year. And that is why I personally always find it a bit.. let's say premature when people start to spread doom and gloom after a bad free practice session or a qualifying session that hasn't gone as well as expected. The points are given on the sundays and those have been quite good for us! So give the team the credit it deserves!

Nivedanm

Barcelona S3 favours Ferrari; so did monaco. But Azerbaijan was a different story. This article suggests Mclaren had set up the car for race, and with the expected tyre wear, they could have overtaken the Ferraris in the end without a red flag. Seidl said something on those lines. Check this out.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... LXc24.html
f1rules wrote:

mvfad

For me, Norris has been the best driver of the season so far. Another great race. =D>

the EDGE

Given Daniels early pit stop, when compared to Lando, he did a fab job today to finish 6th & so close to Lando

It’s certainly time for people to stop knocking him now

f1rules

really was great all the way around, pace, strategy, drivers, pitstop

f1rules

Yeah it makes sense and i hope youre right :-) we will see, will be very interesting to follow, mclaren as default always use, except the obvious ones, the high df rearwing, seem they think it produces the best result and only seldom deviate from it, ferrari on the other hand more often go the low df route, probably due lack of top end and cause it just works for them, they have a mechanicly good car, well balanced. Now the low df is often good in qual, but less so in the race. That has not been the case the last 3 gps, so was nice to see mclarens route won today. So this will be a constant fight all season long i think.
BosF1 wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:38
f1rules wrote:
You keep referring to the last 2 races, but the problem with that is that both those tracks are unique because they are streetcircuits which always tend to shake up the pecking order a bit. We won't be having any other streetcircuits this year, hence they are not indicative for the real pace. They are outliers.

Paul Ricard, however, has characteristics that are much more comparable to other circuits, with one high speed - long straight sector, one mid/high speed cornering sector and one slow speed cornering sector. And McLaren were better on the 'traditional' circuits than Ferrari, given the the lead they had in de WCC before Monaco.

Of course, things can change with updates etc, but I think the team deserves a bit more faith, given their development path the last 2.5 years. They have shown they can develop a good car during the winter, which they are able to improve during the year. And that is why I personally always find it a bit.. let's say premature when people start to spread doom and gloom after a bad free practice session or a qualifying session that hasn't gone as well as expected. The points are given on the sundays and those have been quite good for us! So give the team the credit it deserves!

Herr_Koos

Well that was pretty satisfying, wasn't it? Not much more to say really.

Mansell89

Excellent result to be absolutely 100% best of the rest, and great to see Daniel much more on the pace today.

Race pace and tyre management far better than Ferrari and a substantial step towards the P3 race for 2021.

The only disappointment being that we were miles and mikes off the front two teams.

Herr_Koos

Mansell89 wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 20:25
Excellent result to be absolutely 100% best of the rest, and great to see Daniel much more on the pace today.

Race pace and tyre management far better than Ferrari and a substantial step towards the P3 race for 2021.

The only disappointment being that we were miles and mikes off the front two teams.
True, but I'd like to think both cars would have been closer to the leading pack had they started further up the road. They lost a substantial amount of time sitting behind slower cars. In clear air towards the end, Lando wasn't that far off the Mercs pace.

genarro

Herr_Koos wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 20:31
Mansell89 wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 20:25

True, but I'd like to think both cars would have been closer to the leading pack had they started further up the road. They lost a substantial amount of time sitting behind slower cars. In clear air towards the end, Lando wasn't that far off the Mercs pace.
And Merc and RB were absolutely flat out whereas we were just controling the pace to secure P5 and P6. Why stress the material...