2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Can I ask- Is it pretty much confirmed by Seidl that they basically had a clear plan of how to place resources this year ready for the switch to 2022 focus?

They haven’t deviated from that as far as anyone knows have they?

_cerber1

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 08:27
Lando overtaking 6 cars in 6 laps… He overtook Daniel and Stroll a couple laps later:
This is a pleasure =D> =D> =D>

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
Lando overtaking 6 cars in 6 laps… He overtook Daniel and Stroll a couple laps later:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fascinating video. Two things stood out on that for me.

1) It could be choice battery usage but the strength of the Honda engine in the AT, when Lando was alongside with DRS open, was very impressive.
2) Ferrari looking very nice in the lower speed corners, but eaten alive on the straights
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Herr_Koos

Mansell89 wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 09:37
Can I ask- Is it pretty much confirmed by Seidl that they basically had a clear plan of how to place resources this year ready for the switch to 2022 focus?

No way for us to know, really, apart from what the team have said in the press. As I recall, Seidl says they have an idea of when the switch will happen, but will continue with some 2021 development if there are clear gains to be made that don't require significant effort. There is no reason to think that they have deviated from this plan.

What will definitely count in McLaren's favour in my view is that they have a) had a perfect reliability record thus far, and b) apart from DR's shunt in Baku qualy, no major car damage. This means they will have saved quite a bit of money for further development compared to others. What really struck me was the messages from Red Bull and Merc to Michael Masi about how a scrape of those yellow kerbs cost them tens of thousands of pounds. McLaren have so far manged to avoid such costly incidents and thus may be in a better position to develop the 35M just a tad further than some rivals.

mwillems

Mansell89 wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 09:37

They had a good idea yes, as per previous interviews, but they never detailed or gave a strong idea of how much resource had gone to X and how much to Y (The switch is not literally on or off, but a gradual transfer of resource until the off switch is pressed on 2021). About 6 weeks ago they were discussing stopping the design and update of the current car soon, which is probably about now. Which means more updates could and probably will come for up to the next 6 odd weeks which will take us to the summer break and the Hungarian GP at the end of July. Doesn't mean updates will arrive at the last 2 races, as they might have already been delivered, but anything afterwards is just going to be low hanging fruit and obvious tweaks.

This article gives a vague idea of the plan (April '21):

https://www.planetf1.com/news/andreas-s ... 022-focus/

This is clear in that it suggests the end of any substantial dedicated design resource on the 35B will stop soon (Published start of May '21):

https://racingnews365.com/seidl-mclaren ... us-to-2022

So yeah, I would guess we have switched or are on the button to do it.

mclaren111

BosF1 wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 17:04
f1rules wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 19:07
Lets see, they said that many times and seldom materialized, very dissapointed in this team right now, incredible ferrari where able to pass mclaren and be in the position we wanted to be in, their car just seem overall better and easy to hit the setup sweetsport while mclaren dont seem to have any real strengths at all
Well... that aged poorly :lol:

:D :lol: :lol: :D

mwillems

It wasn't spoken about much on here, that I noticed at least (!), but of course the new rules for Flexi wings began to get introduced in France.

Is this part of the reason Ferrari looked weaker at Paul Ricard? It didn't seem to cause Red Bull an issue...

Edit: Just googled for articles on it and I could find one:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/flex ... e/6580838/

So given the hoo-ha about flexi wings, it seems to have died a death in the news.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:

Great stuff! =D> Thanks for this
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

mvfad wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 19:06
For me, Norris has been the best driver of the season so far. Another great race. =D>

Amen... Lando's the Man... :D :D

f1rules
f1rules

here is some of ferraris own explanation
https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/21/fer ... this-year/
mwillems wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 10:25
It wasn't spoken about much on here, that I noticed at least (!), but of course the new rules for Flexi wings began to get introduced in France.

Is this part of the reason Ferrari looked weaker at Paul Ricard? It didn't seem to cause Red Bull an issue...

Edit: Just googled for articles on it and I could find one:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/flex ... e/6580838/

So given the hoo-ha about flexi wings, it seems to have died a death in the news.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 10:03
1) It could be choice battery usage but the strength of the Honda engine in the AT, when Lando was alongside with DRS open, was very impressive.
2) Ferrari looking very nice in the lower speed corners, but eaten alive on the straights
1) Gasly had DRS as well and additionally he had a slipstream from a Ferrari ahead.

djos

Epic race, a real nail biter!

Great team result to with Lando and Daniel finishing only 10 seconds apart despite different strategies.

Also fantastic to see Daniel finding his mojo! I’m stoked to see the next few races!
"In downforce we trust"

Macklaren
Macklaren

darkpino wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 08:38
Macklaren wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 03:56
Xero wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 01:16
Fun fact time - McLaren After 7 Races;
- 2019 : 30 points
- 2020 : 68 points
- 2021 : 110 points

Quite astonishing that the team are comfortably better off than the previous 2 years combined. It's easy to look past the progression when looking at Ferrari's resurgence, but progressing they are. Step by step!
Can you do the same math as % of McLaren's points vs. the leading constructor after 7 races? I think we may be highest since 2012 maybe...
No offense but that's also because the leaders are for the first time since 2017? I think not running away with the championship. Lewis and Max are constantly robbing each other from points
This is EXACTLY my point! with the leading cars trading places, the #2 cars of the leading teams continuing to underperform and many other mid-field teams consistently finishing outside the points, McLaren is probably closer to P1 at this point in the season than at any time in the last decade probably

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Fascinating video. Two things stood out on that for me.

What caught my attention the most is how much of a difference the tire delta made… Those additional 6-8 laps made a huge difference in the end.

I was surprised that the AT struggled as much to make the overtake on the Ferrari… On Lando’s overtake of Gasly, both cars were with DRS (and the AT had also slip stream from the Ferrari ahead), which makes it surprising how easy Lando’s overtake was.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I mean he hit nearly 350kph in one of the speed traps....