2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

_cerber1 wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 10:43
bauc wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 10:33
I'm with the team since 1997, and yes it been a up and down ride .... but we are here to stay =D>
Also, since 97, a McLaren fan.
Quite a few of us from that period. I got interested in F1 after meeting David Coulthard in 1995 during a Williams/Elf event in Aberdeen (still got an autographed photo stored away somewhere). Next season he signed for McLaren, watched more and more as the season went on. Then from Australia 97, DC won, and I was hooked.

nokivasara
nokivasara

Xero wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:04
_cerber1 wrote:
bauc wrote:
I'm with the team since 1997, and yes it been a up and down ride .... but we are here to stay =D>
Quite a few of us from that period. I got interested in F1 after meeting David Coulthard in 1995 during a Williams/Elf event in Aberdeen (still got an autographed photo stored away somewhere). Next season he signed for McLaren, watched more and more as the season went on. Then from Australia 97, DC won, and I was hooked.
I'm one of them old fans aswell, from the Senna days to 2007 when Kimi went to Ferrari. From that day I haven't been a die hard fan of any team but have soft spots for Sauber and Williams along with Mclaren.
Anyway, well done to the team, great job with strategy pit stops and tyre management. =D>

Emag
Emag

--- man, this race felt so good. There was a time when as a McLaren fan, anything but a victory felt like a disappointment. So much time has passed since then, but this race rekindled old memories that I had forgotten existed. For some reason, I got a strong hit of nostalgia after sunday's race. It took me back to a memory lane and I am still kind of elated by it.

However, apart from all the good feelings that this race brought, it also made me realize how much I miss having McLaren at the top. Man, I just hope that the time where a McLaren win is frequent comes back again.

djos

McL-H wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 13:07
I rewatched the race and want to point out that Max had a 11.1 seconds pitstop and came behind Ricciardo with a 10.1 second disadvantage. Meaning, that to even fight Ricciardo at pit exit, Verstappen would have needed a 1 second pitstop. Impossible. Regardless of whether RBR had pulled of a good pitstop, the win would have been Daniels’, as it was clearly impossible for Max to get ahead and Daniel was faultless all weekend.

They truly won this race on merit. Don’t let the people who say McLaren won because of the collision fool you.
I totally agree, Daniel was always going to win this race. He was able to control the pace the entire way.

Lando would have likely finished 4th if Hamilton and Verstappen hasn’t taken each other out.
"In downforce we trust"

PhillipM
PhillipM

I'm not sure he would, he had enough straightline pace he might have gone back past Hamilton when they both changed tyres, whereas it was incredibly difficult vice versa

trinidefender
trinidefender

djos wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 23:53
McL-H wrote:
I rewatched the race and want to point out that Max had a 11.1 seconds pitstop and came behind Ricciardo with a 10.1 second disadvantage. Meaning, that to even fight Ricciardo at pit exit, Verstappen would have needed a 1 second pitstop. Impossible. Regardless of whether RBR had pulled of a good pitstop, the win would have been Daniels’, as it was clearly impossible for Max to get ahead and Daniel was faultless all weekend.

They truly won this race on merit. Don’t let the people who say McLaren won because of the collision fool you.
I totally agree, Daniel was always going to win this race. He was able to control the pace the entire way.

Lando would have likely finished 4th if Hamilton and Verstappen hasn’t taken each other out.
Hamilton and Verstappen came out behind Norris and even if they hadn't taken each other out they would have been fighting each other for the rest of the race slowing themselves and each other down and crucially wearing out their tyres. In that time Lando could have controlled his pace and preserved his tyres probably allowing him to maintain 2nd. Not saying it would have happened but it probably had a fair to good chance of happening.

djos

trinidefender wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 01:45
djos wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 23:53
McL-H wrote:

Hamilton and Verstappen came out behind Norris and even if they hadn't taken each other out they would have been fighting each other for the rest of the race slowing themselves and each other down and crucially wearing out their tyres. In that time Lando could have controlled his pace and preserved his tyres probably allowing him to maintain 2nd. Not saying it would have happened but it probably had a fair to good chance of happening.
It's certainly possible .... but he DID get 2nd, so FCUK Yeah Team Papaya ! =D> :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:01
El Scorchio wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 13:58
McL-H wrote:

Completely agree. Without 'the incident' it's entirely possible it would still have been a McLaren 1-2 also, as Norris was out in second after the pit stops. However, my gut says that Verstappen and Hamilton may have concertina'd up behind Norris and it's possible all three could have been wiped out at turn 1 sooner or later, which would have been so unfair on Norris.
Think the only car that would have been able to catch Ricciardo would have been Hamilton.

Hamilton had already past Norris on the track....With a proper pit stop he would have come out ahead both Max and Norris. Hamilton would also have been on New Mediums, a faster tire than Daniel's hards.
Definately agree. Whilst not fast enough to get past Lando when Hamilton was on the Hards, he was still faster than Lando who was on the Mediums. Without Hamilton's faulty stop, he would have ripped the tarmac up in pursuit of Ricciardo and had a good go at getting by.

The Mercs were definitely the faster car in the race, but we still won on merit and a bit of luck is inherent in every sport, it's no different for Mclaren. We can get some luck to get the win, and it still be on merit I think =D>
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

I’m not so sure that Hamilton would have passed Ric for the win without the slow stop... Bottas a medium runner in the last stint said his tyres were dead so couldnt make an impression on Perez after their earlier battle.

Also has anyone analysed the times around the pit stops- if we are generous and knock 2 seconds off Hamilton’s average pit stop would he have over cuttered Norris or did Landos fresh rubber move him back ahead of Hamilton?
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

CjC wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 11:19
I’m not so sure that Hamilton would have passed Ric for the win without the slow stop... Bottas a medium runner in the last stint said his tyres were dead so couldnt make an impression on Perez after their earlier battle.

Also has anyone analysed the times around the pit stops- if we are generous and knock 2 seconds off Hamilton’s average pit stop would he have over cuttered Norris or did Landos fresh rubber move him back ahead of Hamilton?
Ok just refreshed my memory- it was Hamilton leaving the pits right in amongst the Lando, Verstappen battle so yea Hamilton would have regained his position ahead of Lando

CjC
CjC

Tit of tat I know
But isn’t it sad that when you are announcing the start of your new building project that should be all about the excitement of Aston Martins new factory.... you have a pop at Ron Dennis and the MTC :roll:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-a ... c/6667402/

Does anyone else get the feeling that the stroll F1 team look at others more than any other team instead of getting their head down and plough their own vision/success?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 11:39
Tit of tat I know
But isn’t it sad that when you are announcing the start of your new building project that should be all about the excitement of Aston Martins new factory.... you have a pop at Ron Dennis and the MTC :roll:

Does anyone else get the feeling that the stroll F1 team look at others more than any other team instead of getting their head down and plough their own vision/success?
Agreed, this is classic Lawrence Stroll. I read the article and wondered what the point to all this was,” This is the reverse of what Ron Dennis did with [architect] Norman Foster, with the McLaren Technology Centre.” He’ll probably end up with a reverse of McLaren’s trophy cabinet as well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Herr_Koos

Guess who got fastest pit stop of the day... :D

Herr_Koos

Xero wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:04
_cerber1 wrote:
bauc wrote:
My earliest memories of seeing a McLaren on track dates back to Senna and Berger in the early 90's. I started watching in earnest after Senna's tragic accident in '94, and have been supporting McLaren from day one, partly in honour of Ayrton's legacy.
I remember that DC victory in Aus '97 extremely well; it also came after quite a lean spell from '94-'96, albeit nowhere near as lean as the one we just experienced. Let's hope this win heralds the start of more success.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 11:39
Tit of tat I know

I take his statement as meaning they will build a run of the mill boxy factory with no soul while McLaren has an architectural marvel. OK, it may not be the most efficient use of the land or space in the world, but as a supercar manufacturer it is much better to have a Bond supervillain HQ than a boxy factory.