2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mclarensenna

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

DragonSGC wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 13:36
For Reference here is a nifty lap time compare tool thats handy for such situations: https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2021/gp/s8108/lap_times

I think both had pace in hand, but as other ahead had suggested if lando passed Daniel he would just be as capable in repassing Norris such that they were so evenly matched, essentially after the hurry up they swapped places almost every lap in which car was the quicker and each time it wasnt by much, if the team had a allowed a battle risks of it ending poorly were high and even then it didnt matter the order they finished in the teams points gain would be the same and all it would do is tick someone off.
yep you can see on lap 36 to 53 after the hurry up call to Ric, Lando not once got within the 1 second DRS range. Then Ric put the hammer down on the final lap to set the fastest time and even lifted at the finish line . If you watch the onboard i pasted previously Ric was just cruising on the final fastest lap. It seems Ric had even more pace in the pocket. Both Mclarens did a stellar job. They are the only team to secure a 1 , 2 this year

FittingMechanics

DragonSGC wrote:
For Reference here is a nifty lap time compare tool thats handy for such situations: https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2021/gp/s8108/lap_times

I think both had pace in hand, but as other ahead had suggested if lando passed Daniel he would just be as capable in repassing Norris such that they were so evenly matched, essentially after the hurry up they swapped places almost every lap in which car was the quicker and each time it wasnt by much, if the team had a allowed a battle risks of it ending poorly were high and even then it didnt matter the order they finished in the teams points gain would be the same and all it would do is tick someone off.
Thank you. I agree. I think that it is good that they are not taking a selfish approach.

Mclarensenna wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 14:20
yep you can see on lap 36 to 53 after the hurry up call to Ric, Lando not once got within the 1 second DRS range. Then Ric put the hammer down on the final lap to set the fastest time and even lifted at the finish line . If you watch the onboard i pasted previously Ric was just cruising on the final fastest lap. It seems Ric had even more pace in the pocket. Both Mclarens did a stellar job. They are the only team to secure a 1 , 2 this year
I did tell you that he came within 0.3 seconds at T4, not at the finish line. I'll just leave this here, 0.241s between them before T4.

No one is saying Ricciardo was slow or Norris was super fast, I did say that he probably COULD have tried to overtake but that it is good he did not. It's quite possible he was "faster" because he had DRS and slipstream.

I can see you are a huge Ricciardo fan who followed him through the teams, I appreciate it but realize you may not have the most objective view of the situation in the world. Let's enjoy the success team brought.

When is the Unboxed coming!!! :)

Mclarensenna

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 14:47
DragonSGC wrote:

Thank you. I agree. I think that it is good that they are not taking a selfish approach.

Mclarensenna wrote:
I did tell you that he came within 0.3 seconds at T4, not at the finish line. I'll just leave this here, 0.241s between them before T4.
https://ibb.co/Xtsm7sc

No one is saying Ricciardo was slow or Norris was super fast, I did say that he probably COULD have tried to overtake but that it is good he did not. It's quite possible he was "faster" because he had DRS and slipstream.

I can see you are a huge Ricciardo fan who followed him through the teams, I appreciate it but realize you may not have the most objective view of the situation in the world. Let's enjoy the success team brought.

When is the Unboxed coming!!!
"FittingMechanics wrote: ↑
15 Sep 2021, 16:21
Norris did start to close the gap at one time, I remember him coming down to 0.2 or 0.3s at the T4 chicane. I was worried he might be going for an attack so I definitely noticed that. Afterward he had his team radio "Is it best if I stay where I am" and he dropped to a 1-1.5s gap for the remainder. "

<---- this is your exact quote i replied to. You are claiming Norris was only .2 seconds behind about to overtake Ric but then had to fall back 1-1.5 seconds after the best if i stay where i am team radio.

Your timeline is 100% wrong. The 1st 5 laps after the restart Lando was within DRS range and very close correct. Then Ric got the hurry up message and Lando fell back to 1-1.5 seconds for the remainder of the race out of DRS range. Norris asked the team the is it best if i stay where i am message 5 laps after the hurry up message to Ric. You are implying the opposite that Lando fell behind due to the best to hold station order whereas he fell behind 5 laps prior to that after Ric was told to pick up the pace which he did.

The thing you are not considering is Ric knows what he is doing at the front. He kept Max even closer in the DRS range lap after lap burning up Maxs tyres to the point Max locked up even his tyres were that gone.
Max was nowhere close to overtaking even though he was even closer than Lando was. All Max did was burn up his tyres.
If Lando continued to stay within DRS like that for the remainder of the race he would have burnt up his tyres also and possibly lost out to Bottas or Perez who were just behind in quicker cars.

The team orders to Ric actually helped Lando and the team as Ric sped up just enough to give lando some breathing room behind. Ric actually did not benefit at all from speeding up burning up his tyres unnecessarily as if that was the best strategy he would have done it earlier with Max or earlier with Lando before the team orders. Ric's plan all race was to deliberately drive at a very minimal pace from lap 1 to lap 53 and force the car behind to burn up his tyres and yes it was working beautifully. But then yes with Lando right behind team orders came thru and Ric sped up which helped Lando also which was good to secure the 1, 2

Ric had track position. The team orders helped Lando, not Ric who was leading the race and had it fully under control. You implied the exact opposite that team orders held Lando back and that he probably COULD have tried to overtake in bold letters even emphasising your point. Lando did try and was within the DRS for a few laps. Ric was not fazed at all to the point he did not have to go defensive with Norris or Max. Completely under control. Nobody was passing Ric. It was a fantastic drive from Ric and Lando to bring the cars home 1 , 2

diffuser

1m0bius1 wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 04:05
Can we expect Daniel to even further improve after these two weeks? Surely he would do some extra sim work between now and the next race and review and refine what hes learned and hasnt done in the last 3 races vs Lando. Im cautiously confident he will find even more time as we progress more into the season. Hes starting to get on top of it and its showing but I believe there will be more to find.

When is that Damn wind tunnel going to start construction?
Few pages back there was a map of Monza broken up into mini sectors and those sectors where labeled with who was the fastest in those mini sectors. Ricciardo was fastest in all the gradual long curves(there were many). Norris was fastest in the 1 hard right hander. The times weren't posted but simple maths tells us that the amount time Ricciardo was faster in all those other mini sectors added up to the time he lost in that 1 hard right hander. That has been Ricciardo's problem all year long, he can't seem to turn the car in those corners with the speed that Norris does. Once you get to tracks that have more of those curves... Ricciardo starts to fall behind Norris. That all comes down to the design traits of this years car that IMHO really have alot to do with front wing regulation restrictions that were introduced in 2019 or 2018.

diffuser

Mclarensenna wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 16:07
FittingMechanics wrote:
DragonSGC wrote:

Mclarensenna wrote:

Ric had track position. The team orders helped Lando, not Ric who was leading the race and had it fully under control. You implied the exact opposite that team orders held Lando back and that he probably COULD have tried to overtake in bold letters even emphasising your point. Lando did try and was within the DRS for a few laps. Ric was not fazed at all to the point he did not have to go defensive with Norris or Max. Completely under control. Nobody was passing Ric. It was a fantastic drive from Ric and Lando to bring the cars home 1 , 2

Combine team orders with Bottas, in the faster car, couldn't get past the slower car in Perez.... there was no pressure on Norris. They know Perez can't pass them and Bottas is stuck behind him. Result? Norris and Ricciardo are not racing they're just bring home the cars. All the timing data from the later half of that race is useless, just coincidence.

I will add that the 2 McLaren's had almost identical qualifying times. Just like Bottas struggled to get past Perez, Norris would have struggled to get past Ricciardo. Every lap Norris would have pushed to try to get past and didn't succeed, would have resulted in larger tires degradation and Increased the chances of being caught from behind.

Wouter

Yesterday at the factory.. 🥳 . 🥳 . 🥳

The Power of Dreams!

McL-H

What happened to the tradition of the rocket red t-shirts after a victory? Did that die when Ron left, or have they forgotten about that?

CjC
CjC

McL-H wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 11:35
What happened to the tradition of the rocket red t-shirts after a victory? Did that die when Ron left, or have they forgotten about that?
Was it part of the Vodafone sponsorship deal?
They basically wore Vodafone’s colours after a race win which in turn increases Vodafone’s exposure which in turn increases the $$🤑🤑
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 11:56
McL-H wrote:
They basically wore Vodafone’s colours after a race win which in turn increases Vodafone’s exposure which in turn increases the $$🤑🤑
Also McLaren logo used to have a red part, now they dropped the red part, it was black but now it seems it is orange. No real sense in using rocket red shirts. They could make a new tradition with orange shirts but probably no one really thought it likely they will win so it was not ready.

Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 09:53
Yesterday at the factory.. 🥳 . 🥳 . 🥳

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_WFkSwXsAE ... name=small
Ron would never have allowed people to walk on the grass! How times change. :D
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 17:34
Mclarensenna wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 16:07
FittingMechanics wrote:

Combine team orders with Bottas, in the faster car, couldn't get past the slower car in Perez.... there was no pressure on Norris. They know Perez can't pass them and Bottas is stuck behind him. Result? Norris and Ricciardo are not racing they're just bring home the cars. All the timing data from the later half of that race is useless, just coincidence.

I will add that the 2 McLaren's had almost identical qualifying times. Just like Bottas struggled to get past Perez, Norris would have struggled to get past Ricciardo. Every lap Norris would have pushed to try to get past and didn't succeed, would have resulted in larger tires degradation and Increased the chances of being caught from behind.
Did Lando have a go at the fastest lap too? What was his fastest lap time? Given that he had some slipstream, he should in theory have been able to make the fastest lap. If he clearly tried and you can tell that from the laptimes, then that answers the question outright. Otherwise.....

Max couldn't get past Ric, Hamilton struggled to get past Lando and both of those cars were quicker in the race than us. I don't think that Lando would have been able to make it past Ric in an equal car. But you never know. Either way, would have been very daft to try.

Anyway, Lando lost his chance in the sprint, he would have had a chance at P1 if he'd finished ahead of Ricciardo.

Edit: They both went for the fastest lap. Lando was slower by .15 of a second. Lando's tyres might have degraded more though as he will still have lost a little grip being behind DR. But still, he was not fast enough to pass IMHO.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

McL-H

FittingMechanics wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 12:09
CjC wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 11:56
McL-H wrote:
Also McLaren logo used to have a red part, now they dropped the red part, it was black but now it seems it is orange. No real sense in using rocket red shirts. They could make a new tradition with orange shirts but probably no one really thought it likely they will win so it was not ready.
I thought about the Vodafone connection too, but as that likely could have been the reason to start the tradition, McLaren still had Rocket Red Honda shirts for sale in 2017 too. Vodafone was long out of the picture by then. Maybe it’s because of the logo… but I missed the shirts a little bit to be honest.

djos

Bottas had a crack at the fastest lap too. Daniel beat them both easily.
"In downforce we trust"

Wouter

Just a nice picture with that beautiful background.

The Power of Dreams!