2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 21:36
Emag have in mind though that Mclaren wasn't allowed to develop the car as they wanted as they had restrictions not to mention Ferrari has double our budget. Who knows how much faster our car would be had we been let to develop it as we wanted.

The Budget Cap is already in place this year if I'm not mistaken...

Mansell89

Is it me or does Lando look like he’s about to cry in those rare times where he hasn’t had the result he wanted? He looked like he was about to ball yesterday!

I think we forget he’s so young and boyish - a beast in the car but with some steel to add out of it.

Can’t wait to watch him develop these next couple of seasons - he’s been an absolute joy to watch this year and I love his enthusiasm.

Looking ahead to Mexico- will our low drag strengths help us at high altitude or have the opposite effect?

billamend

He was so frustrated with himself. The whole thing started on Q3 where he could have classified much better and then the race was not particularly inspired.

Seidl has been saying for a while that Lando is super hard on himself and the first one to blame himself for his mistakes.

McLaren team boss Andreas Seidl, who has saluted Norris' forward march on multiple occasions this season, is a big fan of his driver's self-critical attitude.

"In F1, he’s only in his third year now but it’s impressive to see what he is pulling off inside of the car but also outside of the car in terms of how he works together with the team, how he voices clearly what he needs from the team in order to perform," said Seidl.

"He’s very self-critical as well and he’s the first one to raise his hand if something went wrong on his side.

"That’s an attitude I like a lot, we like a lot in the team. I want to have this culture from every single member of the team as that’s the only way of getting better as a team and moving forwards."

Big Tea

Lando seems to have lost some of his aggression. Has he been reined in or is he just suffering from thinking he made the wrong choice with staying out in the wet?

I think the Dan and Zac have become very 'pally' lately too, maybe Lando is feeling a little put out?
He was the golden boy and loved it, it may slip his confidence a little that Dan is getting the accolades now.
He will have to learn to adapt, that's the way life is
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ced
Ced

Looking ahead to Mexico- will our low drag strengths help us at high altitude or have the opposite effect?

Ineffective I think. Generally a draggy car has more to gain from high altitude than an efficient one and it (high altitude) tends to level engine performance disparity.

Lucky

The return of the legendary McLaren Porsche combo, with which Niki Lauda († 2019) became world champion in 1984, would also be possible.
https://m.bild.de/sport/motorsport/moto ... l#fromWall

diffuser

Ced wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 12:55

Ineffective I think. Generally a draggy car has more to gain from high altitude than an efficient one and it (high altitude) tends to level engine performance disparity.
What I've learned from trying to guess this for COTA was that It's always comes down to whether it's a front or rear limited track. McLaren have made his part easy for us in that they are very obviously better on rear limited tracks. If the driver has to brake hard then accelerate through or out of a corner, it's gonna be a rear limited corner. If the driver barley touches the brakes or has to carry speed through a corner it will be front limited.

Now we have to look at a track map and figure that out. Most maps don't have enough data to figure that out.

McG

Big Tea wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 12:06
Lando seems to have lost some of his aggression. Has he been reined in or is he just suffering from thinking he made the wrong choice with staying out in the wet?

I think the Dan and Zac have become very 'pally' lately too, maybe Lando is feeling a little put out?
He was the golden boy and loved it, it may slip his confidence a little that Dan is getting the accolades now.
Yikes. Do you write for a tabloid? Lando has moved on, I suggest you do too.
F1 is dead.

Big Tea

McG wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 16:12
Big Tea wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 12:06

Yikes. Do you write for a tabloid? Lando has moved on, I suggest you do too.
I have absolutely no idea what to make of that reply? best I ignore it

godlameroso

Any psychological insights from us is laced with a bit of projection. I'm sure Lando is his own harshest critic, he'll be fine the ups and downs of the sport. We all ride these waves, just gotta wait for the next one and be ready for it I suppose. No room for complacency in this game.
Saishū kōnā

1m0bius1

I confident to say Dan has definitely improved his confidence in the car. Seems hes still improving with more to come. I think the triple header will give him a bit more momentum as well. Bit of sim work then its on to that quick smart. This bodes well for next year. Dan has now a variety of driving styles under his belt so should adapt pretty well to next years car especially if it caters more towards what he liked under the RBR and the Renault.

_cerber1

CjC
CjC

I love the optimism and Andreas has to be but unless Mclaren get a 1-2 and fastest lap in Abu Dhabi I can’t see them beating Ferrari who are favourites for P3 now if you ask me.
I’m expecting them to murder Mclaren at the likes of Brazil and Qatar I’m afraid because when it comes to Mclaren I’m a glass half full kinda guy😬
Just a fan's point of view

adrianjordan

I think this weekend Daniel was just on his absolute best level. He loves this track, he loves Austin and you could even see how motivated he was all weekend.

Meanwhile Lando had a rare off weekend where he was, perhaps, pushing a little too hard at times and made a few small errors.

I think that just made it APPEAR as if Lando was doing worse than he was.

I strongly suspect we'll see Lando back on top for the remaining races, with Daniel hopefully right there as well.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

CjC wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 13:30
I love the optimism and Andreas has to be but unless Mclaren get a 1-2 and fastest lap in Abu Dhabi I can’t see them beating Ferrari who are favourites for P3 now if you ask me.
I’m expecting them to murder Mclaren at the likes of Brazil and Qatar I’m afraid because when it comes to Mclaren I’m a glass half full kinda guy😬

Ferrari's big failing has always been the monumental 'mess up'. It has cost them a championship more than once, so it is still a possibility. Better to see head to head on the track, but they seem due for one, so...
(not wishing it on them, just the seem historically capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory)