2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
codetower

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Xero wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 19:07
I still think halos should be allowed to be painted to reflect the drivers helmet for easy ID.
I use the green/yellow on the antenna (or is that the camera??) to identify the #1 #2 driver for each team. It's the only way I can tell.

djos

diffuser wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 18:48
Off topic...

Ever notice that is really hard to read most car's numbers from the front ?

https://f1tcdn.net/images/news/2021/usagp-start.jpg

I find it very frustrating.....
Yes, I wish the broadcast was in 4K HDR already!
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Nice job from Dan to bring home 5th and hold Bottas and Sainz behind. He seems to be getting better and better since the summer break. Seidl really liked his drive at Austin and agreed too. We are doing pretty well considering the handicaps we have had this season with the new engine and lack of tokens to use etc. Hope we can beat Ferrari to 3rd but will be a tough battle!

djos

runningmanz wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 02:15
Nice job from Dan to bring home 5th and hold Bottas and Sainz behind. He seems to be getting better and better since the summer break. Seidl really liked his drive at Austin and agreed too. We are doing pretty well considering the handicaps we have had this season with the new engine and lack of tokens to use etc. Hope we can beat Ferrari to 3rd but will be a tough battle!
He did a great job! He mentioned after the race that he still feels he's making mistakes and not getting the most out of the car, but great to see him getting results!
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 02:18
runningmanz wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 02:15
He did a great job! He mentioned after the race that he still feels he's making mistakes and not getting the most out of the car, but great to see him getting results!
Yeah seems to find that extra boost at places he loves too like Monza and Austin, hopefully he can continue on now and keep improving.

Interesting some mention Dan and Zak being pretty close now. Zak has wanted Dan in the team for a long time just missing out on getting him when he went to Renault. They look like they are getting along like a house on fire with all the banter and joking around. Seidl as well. Both look like great bosses to work for. Having said that Lando is nowhere near on the outer and I suspect its more Lando's head that he needs to sort out and believe he is just as important in the team and valued. Probably just his youth and lacking some confidence in himself at times but he doesn't need to be like that at all as he has been mostly outstanding this season.

It will be no mean feat if we can beat the mighty Ferrari to 3rd this season. Hopefully both drivers can find top form for the remaining races.

McL-H
McL-H

diffuser wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 18:48
Off topic...

Ever notice that is really hard to read most car's numbers from the front ?

https://f1tcdn.net/images/news/2021/usagp-start.jpg

I find it very frustrating.....
I agree. The numbers should be much more visible, like in MotoGP. I don’t remember which driver has a red camera and which one has a yellow one.. It annoys me too.

McL-H
McL-H

I read on Twitter Ferrari cannot use the ICE’s out of the previous pool any longer, as they don’t combine well with the new hybrid systems. Therefore, Leclerc and Sainz now have to do all of the remaining GP’s (including practices and sprint race) with the same engine or take another engine penalty. Can anyone confirm this to be the case?

CjC
CjC

McL-H wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 13:00
I read on Twitter Ferrari cannot use the ICE’s out of the previous pool any longer, as they don’t combine well with the new hybrid systems. Therefore, Leclerc and Sainz now have to do all of the remaining GP’s (including practices and sprint race) with the same engine or take another engine penalty. Can anyone confirm this to be the case?
I can’t confirm but you are now the second person I’ve heard say it so it might have some traction.
Lando will no doubt need a new ICE anyway so it’s not all roses
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

CjC wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 15:54
McL-H wrote:
I can’t confirm but you are now the second person I’ve heard say it so it might have some traction.
They could put the whole old PU in for free practice and a non power track.

the EDGE
the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 16:25
CjC wrote:
McL-H wrote:
They could put the whole old PU in.
Well seeing as they were only allowed to change the spec of the ERS component that was updated under the token system the old & new ICE must be exactly the same, so I fail to see why they wouldn’t be able mix & match

JPower
JPower

the EDGE wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 16:30
diffuser wrote:
CjC wrote:

They could put the whole old PU in.
Well seeing as they were only allowed to change the spec of the ERS component that was updated under the token system the old & new ICE must be exactly the same, so I fail to see why they wouldn’t be able mix & match
The new ERS system is not compatible with the old ICE units. So yes, Ferrari is planning to use one PU for the rest of 2021. It will be a good test of reliability with an eye towards the 2022 PU.

CjC
CjC

diffuser wrote:
CjC wrote:
McL-H wrote:
They could put the whole old PU in for free practice and a non power track.
For Lando you mean?
Just a fan's point of view

Wouter

CjC wrote:
McL-H wrote:
The Power of Dreams!

McL-H
McL-H

Wouter wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 17:56
CjC wrote:
McL-H wrote:
Well, that’s good news for us. I expect they will run into reliability issues, having to do so many laps this year on the same PU. I hope we can take advantage of this.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Wouter wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 17:56
CjC wrote:
McL-H wrote:
My understanding of that is once Ferrari introduced the updated spec ERS component, under the upgrade rules they can not run the old spec ERS component. This has nothing to do with the ICE or other engine elements they did not upgrade mid-season

As the unchanged elements are of a single spec there would be no reason they can not be run or interchanged with the new spec ERS as required