2021 Williams F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gshevlin

Re: 2021 Williams F1 Team

I think the best comment about the position of Williams came from Paddy Lowe, to the effect that a team doesn't just build a slow car one season. The real problem is that the team has dropped into a pattern of persistently building slow cars, which reflects bigger underlying issues.

Lynx

gshevlin wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 19:07
I think the best comment about the position of Williams came from Paddy Lowe, to the effect that a team doesn't just build a slow car one season. The real problem is that the team has dropped into a pattern of persistently building slow cars, which reflects bigger underlying issues.
No, Paddy Lowe's comments are really not the best from any perspective. If we can search for a person that contributed the most to Williams' fall to the bottom, it is him. I have to write again that in the time he took the position of CTO Williams had the 4th fastest car (early 2017). Earlier (when Symonds led Williams technical team) there were no so major problems that the car would be dead last.

littlebigcat

I think its widely accepted that the Mercedes engine masked a lot of the problems with the Williams cars before 2017

Manoah2u

Lynx wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 16:46
gshevlin wrote:
No, Paddy Lowe's comments are really not the best from any perspective. If we can search for a person that contributed the most to Williams' fall to the bottom, it is him. I have to write again that in the time he took the position of CTO Williams had the 4th fastest car (early 2017). Earlier (when Symonds led Williams technical team) there were no so major problems that the car would be dead last.
please stop repeating this tripe nonsense. it's poking a dead horse and makes no sense at all.

whatever the situation, it is now in the past. Williams will need time to transition from it's former state to a better state. This includes drivers. Russell is their greatest asset right now but they'll lose him after 2021 no matter what Mercedes does so that's a given.

They have reorganised and are continuing this path, and the fact they're willing to ditch 'key' people shows commitment and decisions that they have been lacking the past decade.

There's a plan on the table, and that's probably the most important thing right now.
After leaking the entire actual car before launch, which was an absolute low point, it seems they have learned and are taking matters in their hands. What's important is not to look into the past but look into the future and adapt to the future, and it looks like they are doing just that.

2022 is a reset and it's gonna be interesting to see what goes on from there on, including which driver they'll sign.
Latifi surely will stay, but will Nissany get a race seat is the next big question. He hasn't got the talent, but he does bring a lot of money and that is still important right now. That said, if they can manage to make a new deal with Merc with another protegé, that has it's benefits too.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Ryar

These guys totally deserved this. It was eternity since they enjoyed a Q3 finish in a qualifying.

Hakuna Matata!

diffuser

Manoah2u wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 23:04
whatever the situation, it is now in the past. Williams will need time to transition from it's former state to a better state. This includes drivers. Russell is their greatest asset right now but they'll lose him after 2021 no matter what Mercedes does so that's a given.

I only see one spot that Russell Might get an openning and that's Merc. With Hamilton's resigning, I don't see a need for Russel at Merc. There is an arguement that any F1 team collects more constructor's points with a #2 than two #1s.

Williams, now has the backing and commitment, Russell would indeed be an assest. In short, a Russell move to Merc would make both teams weaker from a constructors points point of view. Williams have shifted earily to the 2022 car, they have more Wind tunnel time than Merc and Merc find themselves having to steal 2022 resources for a 2021 championship race;makes me think that Williams has a really good shot to do well next year.

Zynerji

diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 16:19
Manoah2u wrote:

I only see one spot that Russell Might get an openning and that's Merc. With Hamilton's resigning, I don't see a need for Russel at Merc. There is an arguement that any F1 team collects more constructor's points with a #2 than two #1s.

Williams, now has the backing and commitment, Russell would indeed be an assest. In short, a Russell move to Merc would make both teams weaker from a constructors points point of view. Williams have shifted earily to the 2022 car, they have more Wind tunnel time than Merc and Merc find themselves having to steal 2022 resources for a 2021 championship race;makes me think that Williams has a really good shot to do well next year.
I could see Russell at McLaren if Ricc cant find his feet, and Merc retain Hamilton/Bottas.

JordanMugen

gshevlin wrote:
But the 2017 Williams FW40 was perfectly OK, yet the 2018 Williams FW41 was a junker? :)

It was very similar to how Honda went from the competent 2006 RA106 to the inept 2007 RA107.

I think it is very possible for a F1 team to abandon a solid concept and get horribly lost IMO...

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 16:26
diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 16:19
Manoah2u wrote:

I could see Russell at McLaren if Ricc cant find his feet, and Merc retain Hamilton/Bottas.

For 2022? You'd continue to pay Riccardo 17Million a year as a reserve driver? Till the end of 2023?
Let's say Williams takes that deal. (McLaren pay his Salary, Williams pay Russell. Why would Russell take it?

Williams have probably been working longer on 2022 car, have the same Budget and a ton more wind tunnel time. The only thing not changing in 2022 is the PU, which they share.

I think the odds are pretty straight up on who will be faster next year.

Macklaren

diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 21:27

For 2022? You'd continue to pay Riccardo 17Million a year as a reserve driver? Till the end of 2023?
Let's say Williams takes that deal. (McLaren pay his Salary, Williams pay Russell. Why would Russell take it?

Williams have probably been working longer on 2022 car, have the same Budget and a ton more wind tunnel time. The only thing not changing in 2022 is the PU, which they share.

While next year undoubtedly has the potential to shuffle the ranks, do you think there is a high probability that Williams will be ahead of McLaren?

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:15
diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 21:27

While next year undoubtedly has the potential to shuffle the ranks, do you think there is a high probability that Williams will be ahead of McLaren?
Let's put it this way. If this year Williams had a 20% chance of being faster than McLaren. Next year they're and 40 to 45%. So I'd say slightly bellow 50/50. Williams aren't fighting this uphill battle where they need to figure out how to fix a problem with the current chassis, while Mclaren a building on a better base. They're both starting with a blank canvas with nothing but a Merc PU on it.

Zynerji

Williams should be doing a full listed-parts deal with Mercedes. Claire should have done it in 2016... Alpha Tauri shows consistently at 5th-6th best car with that setup. I'm sure Williams could really pick up their competitiveness with a similar setup.

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 00:01
Williams should be doing a full listed-parts deal with Mercedes. Claire should have done it in 2016... Alpha Tauri shows consistently at 5th-6th best car with that setup. I'm sure Williams could really pick up their competitiveness with a similar setup.
Aren't all those teams kind of screwed in 2022? Don't all those parts have to be 1 year old ? Therefore, there are no parts they can buy?

Zynerji

diffuser wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 00:47
Zynerji wrote:
Aren't all those teams kind of screwed in 2022? Don't all those parts have to be 1 year old ? Therefore, there are no parts they can buy?
I think it's current year stuff or year old stuff. AT are running old stuff by choice.

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 01:57
diffuser wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 00:47
Zynerji wrote:
I think it's current year stuff or year old stuff. AT are running old stuff by choice.
So here is the problem with buying parts.

For 2022, all aero parts (Listed Team Components or LTC) have too be designed by the team and are NOT transferable. Brakes and brake ducts fall under aero. Guess what, teams that design parts not on the LTC list (transferable parts) to suit their specific aero needs. So I can see why AT would have kept the old rear end, as RBR went in another direction with the aero at rear end.