2021 Williams F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gshevlin
gshevlin

Re: 2021 Williams F1 Team

Somebody once remarked of an American football player who had a habit of crashing and burning because he said Dumb --- in public "million dollar talent, ten cent head".
Dan Ticktum seems to be an example of this syndrome. He seems to blurt out the first dumb thought that enters his head at precisely the wrong moment.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

gshevlin wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 16:50
Somebody once remarked of an American football player who had a habit of crashing and burning because he said Dumb --- in public "million dollar talent, ten cent head".
Dan Ticktum seems to be an example of this syndrome. He seems to blurt out the first dumb thought that enters his head at precisely the wrong moment.
it's rather a case of people's true character being exposed due to external triggers.
and unfortunately, dan has a horrible character. horrible characters only go that far however,
so this is a great example of how your own deeds can come back to bite you in the rear.
if he even had the slightest chance of a f1 career, this is done and dusted now.

he's probably going to only have a shot at Nascar in the future, perhaps Nascar Trucks (if that's still around).
He can build his own car and team with sufficient money so won't lose a seat by being an arse.
he'll likely get a fist in his face at some point though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

kptaylor
kptaylor

Latifi when asked about not making it into Q3, "it's still a Williams." Russell then puts a Williams on the front row!

Jolle
Jolle

Fingers crossed that Russell doesn’t become the next Hulkenberg. After a brilliant qualifying in Brazil, never a podium…

nokivasara
nokivasara

kptaylor wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 18:33
Latifi when asked about not making it into Q3, "it's still a Williams." Russell then puts a Williams on the front row!
It was a crazy quali for Russell, well deserved too! I think Latifi did allright as well, he should be happy with todays performance.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I must say, Williams' re-organisation has been a blessing. The absolute incompetence and delusional world Claire and co was running has borderline killed the once so legendary team.
I am superbly glad and relieved to see clear confirmation that Williams is on the path of resurgance. Yes, Russell is a gigantic asset here - but it must indeed be said too that Latifi has also homed in some good results and let's face it, despite all George's might, Nicholas is actually AHEAD in points.

Capito and co definately are what Williams needed, and to see a team being run 'in control' and thanks to that it's potential getting used is absolutely a relief.
I do NOT think Williams is going to find itself in top 5 capability in 2022 with the new format, as the timespan is still too short, but I think 2023 or 2024 Williams could find it's way back on full merit - essentially seeing the changes Mclaren made years ago and look what that brought them.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Lynx
Lynx

Manoah2u wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 02:26
I must say, Williams' re-organisation has been a blessing. The absolute incompetence and delusional world Claire and co was running has borderline killed the once so legendary team.
I am superbly glad and relieved to see clear confirmation that Williams is on the path of resurgance. Yes, Russell is a gigantic asset here - but it must indeed be said too that Latifi has also homed in some good results and let's face it, despite all George's might, Nicholas is actually AHEAD in points.

Capito and co definately are what Williams needed, and to see a team being run 'in control' and thanks to that it's potential getting used is absolutely a relief.
I do NOT think Williams is going to find itself in top 5 capability in 2022 with the new format, as the timespan is still too short, but I think 2023 or 2024 Williams could find it's way back on full merit - essentially seeing the changes Mclaren made years ago and look what that brought them.
The main reason for the team's recent upturn in form is the influx of money, not competence or incompetence of the CEO. The core car (chassis, gearbox) is identical to last year. The drivers are the same. There is however a massive increase of aerodynamic updates to the FW43 compared to last year and that makes the difference. And you cannot do the updates without $$$$$€€€€€ for that and currently that money comes from the owners, not free market as before.

Big Tea

Lynx wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 12:39
Manoah2u wrote:

The main reason for the team's recent upturn in form is the influx of money, not competence or incompetence of the CEO. The core car (chassis, gearbox) is identical to last year. The drivers are the same. There is however a massive increase of aerodynamic updates to the FW43 compared to last year and that makes the difference. And you cannot do the updates without $$$$$€€€€€ for that and currently that money comes from the owners, not free market as before.

And a front row will help tremendously with their 'fund raising'.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

proteus

Lynx wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

Well, they are definetly in much better place than they were in the last few seasons, but in the other hand they honesty had nowhere to go but up (the only other way would be to fold). The 7th and 8th at the last race were more to tricky track conditions and to Bottas "yeet manouver", Strolls hit in Leclerc and Ricciardo and DSQ of Vettel, which rewarded them with 10 points. Yeasterday was another wet track day, which again played into their hands, but truthfully in normal conditions they are still barely contenders for 10th spot and one point in a race where everyone is running without problems. We shall see if the budget cap will help them move up the order.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

Big Tea wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 13:18
Lynx wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

And a front row will help tremendously with their 'fund raising'.
Hopefully some crypto company will jump on board with a decent deal offer. On the other hand i remember quite a few teams from 90s that punched above their weight, even scoring podiums but were unable to secure a decent title sponsorship deal, and even smaller ones eluded them.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 29 Aug 2021, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Jambier

I am happy for Russel and Williams and given the history, the qualy yesterday I feel this is luck but deserved anyway

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I get a very double feeling about this.

To be fairly critical, there wasn't a race, so nobody won a race. Points are given for a race, not qually or a parade. We got a total of 2 laps, as a parade, not even competition.
So to be very honest - ignoring the grid positions of everybody for a moment - i would be inclined to say that the GP shouldn't count and points shouldn't be awarded,
much less a 'trophy'. Due to logistical problems I can also fathom that it's going to be impossible to have a race on monday. Especially if it turns out Monday won't be any better.
I also wonder whether there shouldn't have been the decision to start the race earlier. It's all easy talk afterwards i'm aware of that though.

However, in regards to points and positions being awarded or not - truth be told, the fact does remain that the qually grid does exist of people who did their best in the circumstances given to them back then. It's a competition there and then too, and an official part of the 'weekend'. So I guess awarding points does hold merit.

Also I do wonder whether half points is really fitting, but there are probably rules - or a lack of rules - that stipulate this outcome.

The thing i'm saying is, i don't really feel it's too 'fair'. FE Max was given this race, as there wasn't. however, there have been luck situations and bad luck situations so in the end it is what it is.
And as such I am very happy and glad for Russell and Williams - but i'm just as bummed - because i REALLY, really wanted to see how he did in a race.

Let's put it like this: it was far from impossible for him to actually WIN the GP. And that really is what we might have gotten 'stolen' - as it would have been fully deserved.

Nevertheless - this is a great result during the season. Nobody would have accounted for such a scenario.
Is going to make Zandvoort all the more interesting.

Zynerji

Manoah2u wrote:

I think I caught an enormous amount of Forum Trash when I said these things 2-3 years ago...

I'm glad to have proven correct! 😌

Zynerji

Lynx wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

Claire? Is that you? 🙄