2021 Williams F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mr Brooksy

Re: 2021 Williams F1 Team

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 00:30
I get a very double feeling about this.

To be fairly critical, there wasn't a race, so nobody won a race. Points are given for a race, not qually or a parade. We got a total of 2 laps, as a parade, not even competition.
So to be very honest - ignoring the grid positions of everybody for a moment - i would be inclined to say that the GP shouldn't count and points shouldn't be awarded,
much less a 'trophy'. Due to logistical problems I can also fathom that it's going to be impossible to have a race on monday. Especially if it turns out Monday won't be any better.
I also wonder whether there shouldn't have been the decision to start the race earlier. It's all easy talk afterwards i'm aware of that though.

However, in regards to points and positions being awarded or not - truth be told, the fact does remain that the qually grid does exist of people who did their best in the circumstances given to them back then. It's a competition there and then too, and an official part of the 'weekend'. So I guess awarding points does hold merit.

Also I do wonder whether half points is really fitting, but there are probably rules - or a lack of rules - that stipulate this outcome.

The thing i'm saying is, i don't really feel it's too 'fair'. FE Max was given this race, as there wasn't. however, there have been luck situations and bad luck situations so in the end it is what it is.
And as such I am very happy and glad for Russell and Williams - but i'm just as bummed - because i REALLY, really wanted to see how he did in a race.

Let's put it like this: it was far from impossible for him to actually WIN the GP. And that really is what we might have gotten 'stolen' - as it would have been fully deserved.

Nevertheless - this is a great result during the season. Nobody would have accounted for such a scenario.
Is going to make Zandvoort all the more interesting.
I have to say, I'm of a similar mind.

But at the end of the day, the rules have been made and followed (probably not considering such a scenario) with Williams scoring their second 2 car top 10 result in the last 2 races. You'd almost think that it was 2014-16 again

I do feel also for Alfa Romeo Sauber as they have had the faster car for much of the season and yesterday's results have basically short circuited any chances they have of claiming 8th. But then the Williams fan in me kicks and and screams "come on Williams"!
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

trinidefender

Congratulations to George. As much as I'm sure nobody wants to see a repeat of Spa 21 it sort of feels like vindication after the mess with the race at Mercedes. I've always had a soft spot for Williams and if this pushes them to 8th in the constructors championship then the extra revenue will be a great help on their recovery.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

Very intriguing having the Red Bull test driver racing a Mercedes engine. Sort of surprised it's 'allowed' as he's going to be privy to a lot of details they wouldn't be able to get their hands on otherwise.

Vaexa

Glad Williams didn't let Mercedes force De Vries on them. They need a driver with experience in a top team to rally around as they continue to rebuild into the new era, not a so-so FE driver.

Huge statement of intent too. They're more than just a glorified Mercedes B-team, and it shows.

DChemTech

Vaexa wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:17
Glad Williams didn't let Mercedes force De Vries on them. They need a driver with experience in a top team to rally around as they continue to rebuild into the new era, not a so-so FE driver.

Huge statement of intent too. They're more than just a glorified Mercedes B-team, and it shows.
You misspelled FE champion (and former F2 champion).
Nothing against Albon, but de Vries does deserve a shot at F1 too.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Vaexa

DChemTech wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:20
Vaexa wrote:

He won Formula 2 on one of the weakest grids in recent years, and FE is essentially a lottery due to the quali format.

Not to say he's terrible or anything, but he's also absolutely not the right option for a team that wants to go back to the days of yore when the Williams name meant something. They would've essentially conceded their status as a de facto Mercedes B-team by signing De Vries over any of the other experienced drivers in the market (Hulkenberg, Kvyat, Albon).

RZS10

Does Albon come with a money bag from RB or anyone else?

Also: white text without an outline is just terrible

DChemTech

Vaexa wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:21
DChemTech wrote:
Vaexa wrote:

He won Formula 2 on one of the weakest grids in recent years, and FE is essentially a lottery due to the quali format.

Not to say he's terrible or anything, but he's also absolutely not the right option for a team that wants to go back to the days of yore when the Williams name meant something. They would've essentially conceded their status as a de facto Mercedes B-team by signing De Vries over any of the other experienced drivers in the market (Hulkenberg, Kvyat, Albon).
He was 4th the year prior in a very decent grid, and three drivers from the 'weakest grid in recent years' are currently in F1 (but the champion is not). A 4th one is allegedly under consideration as potential competition for de Vries at Alfa. Is he the best driver ever? Surely not. Best for Williams now? Probably not. But "so-so FE driver" is undeserved.

Vaexa

DChemTech wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:27
Vaexa wrote:
DChemTech wrote:

He was 4th the year prior in a very decent grid, and three drivers from the 'weakest grid ever' are currently in F1 (but the champion is not). A 4th one is allegedly under consideration as potential competition for de Vries at Alfa. Is he the best driver ever? Surely not. Best for Williams now? Probably not. But "so-so FE driver" is undeserved.
De Vries got beaten by all three 2018 F2 > F1 graduates, including the driver getting the Williams seat, then won F2 at the third time of asking. I don't think he is particularly impressive. Solid, maybe, but based off junior results Albon is better, and he's a better fit for Williams in any case. De Vries only ever had the Mercedes connection going for him.

DChemTech

Vaexa wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:29
DChemTech wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:27
Vaexa wrote:

He was 4th the year prior in a very decent grid, and three drivers from the 'weakest grid ever' are currently in F1 (but the champion is not). A 4th one is allegedly under consideration as potential competition for de Vries at Alfa. Is he the best driver ever? Surely not. Best for Williams now? Probably not. But "so-so FE driver" is undeserved.
De Vries got beaten by all three 2018 F2 > F1 graduates, including the driver getting the Williams seat, then won F2 at the third time of asking. I don't think he is particularly impressive. Solid, maybe, but based off junior results Albon is better, and he's a better fit for Williams in any case. De Vries only ever had the Mercedes connection going for him.
Yes, and he beat Schumacher, Latifi and Mazepin. So if past results compared to current drivers are any bearing, that should be taken into account just as well. And I'm nor arguing he's a better match for Williams than Albon right now. I'm arguing he should get a shot (I think all F2 champions should, somehow. Maybe FIA needs to run a Perrin or Dallara team just for that), and that calling him a so-so driver is unfair based on his achievements.

dodds_turbo

Red Bull claim to have "released" Albon to go race at Williams but retain options for future drives.

Sneakily also managed to get Albon to wear an Alpha Tauri t-shirt for all the promo material Williams released. 8)

Manoah2u

WELL i got to say i am saying that i'm suprised how much F1 has become a 'return of' by now. Ocon was out, came back. Albon was out, came back. Alonso was out, came back. Kubica was out, came back. Schumacher was out, came back.

Anyway, I think the Williams environment will be better for Albon though.
Perhaps Williams gets paid by RBR for the seat, perhaps Williams even benefits from some RBR tech. Who knows there's even a engine deal in the future (2023).

But one thing that i'm baffled about is that it;s a non-merc driver there now.

SO, with Bottas going to Alfa, and likely De Vries going there too, Alfa turns into a Mercedes team effectively. It's interesting how much 'Toto' is handling F1.

AMG Mercedes, Aston Martin Mercedes, Mclaren Mercedes, Williams Mercedes, And now Alfa Romeo Ferrari with (supposedly) two Mercedes drivers and there's even claims they'll race Mercedes engines - though i find that hard to believe.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

This is not good news. We have an enemy in the camp! :shock: Albon is a RedBull spy!

:mrgreen:

Seriously though, congrats, Alex. I hope to see how he works with Latifi. It will be one of the meme-teams rivaling Lando and Daniel.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏