f1 model kit

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
astracrazy

f1 model kit

Hi Guys

Can anyone recommend a good f1 model kit? I'm currently doing the DeAgostini one, but as its a monthly subscription i only get about 1hr of things to do on it a month. I really enjoy doing it so want something to do in between.

I went to my local model shop but they only have small 1:24 models, which seems like a disappointment compared to the 1:8 i'm currently doing which has great detail.

Any recommendations of ones you have done?

Thanks
Luke

craigbjones1989

Re: f1 model kit

I've recently done the Tamiya Mclaren MP4-4 1/20 which is incredibly high detailed. There are also extra detail kits available. I've seen some larger scale F1 models but they'll set you back a pretty penny. Totally depends on your budget. Eg the Tamiya Mclaren MP4-4 + top studio detail kit will set you back £120-140 easily and looking at the instructions (available on the Top Studio website) its not for the faint hearted!

strad

Tamiya = good stuff
Now that I'm old I buy Exoto pre made 1:18s . ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dannyteasdale

Hey,
Not been on here in a while, I've got a stack of kits to get on with most of which were recommended to me.
My current list are -
Revell Mercedes C-Klass DTM G. Paffett (In progress)
Tamiya McLaren Mp4/4, MP4/5B, MP4/7, MP4/8 all in 1:20 scale with Photo Etched detail kits.
Tamiya McLaren MP4/6 in 1:12 scale, this can set you back a pretty figure though, mine cost £120, looks like a solid build though. Was looking into getting Perfect Parts kits, but when they (Brake and general kits) sold for £240 each on eBay, I decided to give it a miss....
Fujima McLaren MP4/5 Ayrton Senna Monaco GP edition in 1:20

And I do believe DeAgostini are about to annouce a 1:8 scale MP4/4 Senna Japan Version, currently trialling in Japan and if successful it will be released to us after the current MP4-23 model partwork finishes. (I think the understanding behind this is it will likely be the same price, so people are more likely to take out a new sub and carry on paying £32 a month, rather than sub to both whilst they overlap and pay £64 a month for a time...)

I'm still trying to prise info outta DeAgo but they are pretty tight lipped although I think this model will be a hit in Japan as they love Senna, so fingers crossed we will get it too!

Hope this helps....

If you want I can direct you to some good modelling forum websites which are great for tips and tricks.

Modelspace forum being one, myself and a couple of the guys on there are doing or planning to do a full rework of the MP4-23, warthog's diary is defo worth a read.

Danny

bhall

strad wrote:Tamiya = good stuff
Now that I'm old I buy Exoto pre made 1:18s . ;)
Do you have any experience with Tamiya's 1:12 Ferrari offerings?

N12ck

I just collect 1:18's I have:
MP4-21 (all L Hamilton)
MP4-22
MP4-23
MP4-24
MP4-25
and a few damon hill models :)
and soon I will have my Merc W01
Budding F1 Engineer

strad

Do you have any experience with Tamiya's 1:12 Ferrari offerings?
Yes. Enough to realize that in my 60s my hand isn't as steady as it used to be.
I have a Ferrari I never finished setting in a closet. Have just started back building, doing some drag racers to practice then there is a Tamiya Lotus I want to attempt, but at well over 100 dollars I figure I better get some practice first.
And maybe some of those funny magnifying glasses. :lol:
I have 14, 1:18 pre-mades. These days I just build for therapy anyway. ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss