Watches

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
raymondu999

Watches

I don't know about you folk, but other than a love for Formula One I have this fascination with watches. I absolutely love good watches. It's just about the one thing I can't resist an impulse buy on - I spend quite a fair bit on it and own a good number of pieces as a result - and I like to wear different watches on a weekly basis. It's sort of an agreement I have with the missus - an expensive one at that - she doesn't get in the way of me buying watches, and I don't get in the way of her buying jewelry :lol: That doesn't mean I have a different one for every week - I do swap back - I don't have 52 watches for the year! :lol:

So - let's see the pictures of them beauties :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tozza Mazza

Re: Watches

This is mine, I like it, it's retro and cheap.

Don't hit me haha...

Pup
Pup

I've bought two watches in my lifetime. The first was a standard field watch that I had for years, then finally destroyed on a canoe trip after many attempts. The second was a new field watch that looked exactly like the first. I've still got that one, though the battery ran out I assume 15 some odd years ago.

I'm not a watch person obviously.

I have four other watches which were my dad's. One is a gold conductor's watch that I keep at my desk. I wind it up every now and then just to hear it tick. It reminds me of when I was a tot and used to fall asleep in church with my head in his lap listening to it. The other three are wristwatches he had in WWII. One works, the other two were dunked in sea water a few too many times. One of them has a canvas strap that's covered in blood stains.

So I do have an appreciation for watches, especially if they have a story to tell about the man who wore them. I also have a keen appreciation for anything at all that's well made. If I had all the money in the world, I'd probably buy one nice but simple handmade dress watch just because. I have an aversion to Rolex-type watches or other flashy jobs that look like they weigh a metric ton.

edit - I forgot that I also have a Garmin 610, which happens to be a watch as well as a GPS, though I only wear it when I'm out for a run.

Red Schneider

I'm not saying I'll never buy one, but to me watches are jewelry, and I'm not into jewelry. I use a watch for telling time, which incidentally is accomplished by my smartphone these days, so I don't even wear one.

Also watch tan sucks.

mx_tifoso

I'm in a similar camp, Red. Although I will consider buying a watch if my trail running becomes more serious, but only for feedback purposes such as elevation, heart rate, distance, etc.

But perhaps in the future I might even buy a nice watch for formal events and such.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

It is indeed a niche thing, almost. It's not something everyone and anyone likes.

Tozza - I have one very similar, but a Timex rather than a Casio. It was my first watch, and I still keep it until today for nostalgia's sake :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ced381

Tozza Mazza wrote:This is mine, I like it, it's retro and cheap.

Don't hit me haha...
OMG it's my favorite watch also! Actually I have three; one black, one green and one gray! Casio F91W rules!
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Tozza Mazza

simple, effective, oh and it costs £10.

Casio F-91W is good.

Might get a watch for my 18th though, a real one, although I don't see much point in it.

N12ck

I'm tempted to get one of the proper watches you see all the sky f1 guys very carefully aiming at the camera :lol: Although I never wear a watch anymore as I just use my Iphone as a watch, :D
Budding F1 Engineer

ced381

I had a fake Rolex Daytona Black Edition before, but I forgot it in a gym locker... :'(
Bought it in Kandahar for US$15! :lol:

My father bought me a fake Tag Heuer Link in Kabul, but I dropped it and the screen cracked...

raymondu999

That is one sexy Daytona :mrgreen:
Shame you lost it, but hey - at least you didn't lose the real McCoy! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ced381

My dream watch:

raymondu999

I don't like Hublots myself - All Hublot seems to do is copy other designs... in the case of the big bang you posted, the AP Royal Oak. It's basically an identical structure
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pup
Pup

Those are all exactly the kind of overdesigned stuff that turns me off on watches. I don't get the point.

This is a watch worth spending money on, imo...

The design hasn't changed for 80 years, and there's no reason it should.

italian

My actual watch: Image A simple Casio G-Shock 2759. Very resistant I really like it but I would like to buy this: http://www.citizenwatch.com/CUK/English ... BL5250-53L

I'm watch-dependent, I always wear it, even when I sleep. :lol:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein