Watches

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
raymondu999

Re: Watches

Pup wrote:Those are all exactly the kind of overdesigned stuff that turns me off on watches. I don't get the point.

This is a watch worth spending money on, imo...

The design hasn't changed for 80 years, and there's no reason it should.
I'm no fan of Patek, but my folks are. I recently got my dad a Nautilus with Moonphase for his birthday.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pup
Pup

raymondu999 wrote:I'm no fan of Patek, but my folks are. I recently got my dad a Nautilus with Moonphase for his birthday.
My birthday is in Feb. Just so you know.

ArchAngel

Been using mobile phones for timekeeping for many years now. Although in my youth, it's been with Casio and Timex Indiglo watches. :mrgreen:

But if I were to be overwhelmed by the urge to burn cash on a wristwatch now, I'd probably hunt down an Omega Seamaster like this one...

...Or maybe even a vintage like this. :)

raymondu999

Yeah nowadays a phone does plenty. There's still something beautiful about a beautifully crafted analogue timekeeper on your wrist
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ced381

I always had a sweet spot for retro Casio digital watches... don't ask me why...

'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

ced381

'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

raymondu999

I have absolutely no comment to make on that whatsoever. I mean come on. A watch doesn't make a terrorist.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ds.raikkonen

My dad had an Omega Yachtmaster, which was a nice watch but had a few issues in the mechanism, he was nt happy with it. In the more affordable category of good watches, I like Casio Edifice collection, especially the Red Bull Racing Limited Edition watches. Cost only about $250-350.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

raymondu999

What was wrong with the yachtmaster? Is that an automatic, or battery powered? I seem to remember they have a battery variant, and an automatic variant
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

ray is obviously into some high dollar watches...I like that Royal Oak..You can put it on my Christmas list.
I have a gold Skagen and some other nice looking but fairly inexpensive for dress, but most often and for work?
A Timex...takes a lickin and keeps on tickin ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

I can't help it! I love watches. Just sold off a Royal Oak Legacy, mind :P Keeping a rubberclad model though :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ds.raikkonen

raymondu999 wrote:What was wrong with the yachtmaster? Is that an automatic, or battery powered? I seem to remember they have a battery variant, and an automatic variant
It was the automatic one, and I can't seem to remember the exact reason why it suddenly stopped working. The service guys did fix the problem, whatever it was, but took a whopping 2 weeks to do it!
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

raymondu999

2 weeks. That's pretty good actually. My Rubens Barrichello is taking an 8 week trip back to Geneva. Sigh.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ds.raikkonen

raymondu999 wrote:2 weeks. That's pretty good actually. My Rubens Barrichello is taking an 8 week trip back to Geneva. Sigh.
Oh! In that case, we were extremely fortunate! :) 8 weeks! So which one are you wearing now?

raymondu999

My current daily driver is an RD Excalibur which I'm considering smashing to the floor. I took it off at 8:30PM-ish last night, and this morning when I went to put it on at 7AM, it was dead (automatic power). The time read 12:00 exactly. 3.5 hours!? That's absolute rubbish, for a watch of this price. I've sent it back to them before. It was out of warranty, but I said I didn't mind paying. They sent it back to their Swiss workshop - 2 weeks later it came back. I thought that was rather quick for a repair (ironically, compared to your dad's "long" 2 week repair with Omega :mrgreen:). When I went and collected the blasted thing, they said they couldn't find any faults - and that it lasted for the advertised 10 hours. Absolute crock.

I'll probably sell the thing. I have a friend who likes the Excalibur :mrgreen:

I think my wristwatch fascination runs in the family. My mother's side, to be exact. My mom has got the same interest and love for watches - and her younger brother, even more so (that would make him my uncle). He bought a Royal Oak Offshore Legacy (Schwarzenegger's watch) a while back, found out it looked weird on his wrist (it's 48mm - he hasn't got that big a wrist) and sold it 3 weeks later at a 3k hit, without so much as blinking an eye. Astounding. Mind you he called the right shot because 2 weeks later the price of the model took a 6.5k hit (from when he bought it)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法