Watches

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
ds.raikkonen

Re: Watches

Yeah, 2 weeks has suddenly started looking like an extremely short duration, given your experience. Now, I am having doubts whether it really was 2 weeks or longer?!This thing happened somewhere in the late '80s and I was only 5 back then. I have a modest collection of watches, which include a TH, an Edifice and a really old Ironman. Planning to get a new one now, but wont spend more than $300-400. I like spending on my bike and the jungle juice it guzzles! :)
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

raymondu999

Sorry - TH? I'm struggling to decipher the initials. Hilfiger?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ds.raikkonen

raymondu999 wrote:Sorry - TH? I'm struggling to decipher the initials. Hilfiger?
Yes, Tommy Hilfiger.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

raymondu999

Aha. I thought it was - but I wasn't sure. I don't do a whole lot of clothes shopping (that's the job of the missus :mrgreen:) and the only thing that came to mind was clothes :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ds.raikkonen

He he. Yeah, TH is nt exactly 'known' for it's watches. Mine was gifted, so was nt complaining :wink: I would nt have bought one myself!

raymondu999

Yeah. Ironman is Timex, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

I think some are beautiful some I find odd...I have little need for a lot of extras..I don't need to keep track of time in multiple countries, or time laps at Monaco..But a clean quality classic style watch can be quite nice,,,til I reach the price tag, Just can't play in that league and , I don't think even having the money I would want more than a couple. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

It's a very polarising thing. Either you love them or you hate them.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

That's quite an extreme pov Ray, as I would say that many of us simple find them unnecessary and thus are neutral, in the 'meh' category if you would.

But later on in life I would like to own at least one quality and stylish piece. But only for formal occasions, as a watch tan is not a welcome addition to my look. :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

raymondu999 wrote:It's a very polarising thing. Either you love them or you hate them.
Apologies for being imprecise. What I meant was, "Either you love them, or you find them unnecessary." And by 'them' I don't mean watches in general, but rather luxury watches. I suppose that should make a bit more sense now :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

Ray I wasn't putting collecting watches down,,,just saying I can't afford it when I have so many other things I enjoy wasting money on. ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ds.raikkonen

raymondu999 wrote:Yeah. Ironman is Timex, no?
Yeah, the only digital watch I ever had. It's basically a relic now, dead batteries, keeping it just for nostalgia :)

raymondu999

ds.raikkonen wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Yeah. Ironman is Timex, no?
Yeah, the only digital watch I ever had. It's basically a relic now, dead batteries, keeping it just for nostalgia :)
I've had Baby G's and G-shocks along the way, but I still keep my Timex (my first watch!)
strad wrote:Ray I wasn't putting collecting watches down,,,just saying I can't afford it when I have so many other things I enjoy wasting money on. ;)
I know you weren't. I just said that some (like yourself, it seems) find expensive watches unnecessary, and some (like myself) can't have enough watches! :lol: Mind you I have big wrists - and small watches don't suit me very well. I think my smallest watch is a 46mm BR01-94
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kiril Varbanov

Ah, nice thread, didn't know it exists. While my watch isn't exactly expensive, it's very good in doing the job - telling me what's the time, so I recently got a strap with real carbon fiber embedded, racing style a bit. Costs more than the watch itself :) Also, I must admit it's not comfortable as the real leather I've had before, but ... Man toys, you know ..

On the other hand - I've been unsuccessful in getting a normal watch magazine newsletter delivered to my inbox at least once per month - what's wrong with these guys ... went for the first four results from Google ..

Morteza

I'm a big fan of watches. I currently own these models :mrgreen: :

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare