Watches

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Morteza

Re: Watches

I hope you will forgive me for posting so many pics at the same time in one post. Watches have been my passion since I was a small child. Casio watches has been really addictive and became my guilty pleasures. I have a thing for digital watches. They deceive my eyes :lol: I'm also a member of http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php forum. If you like watches you'll love that place.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mx_tifoso

Morteza, you have too many watches, so get rid of at least one by sending it to me. :D
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

I was wondering when you'd show up in this thread Morteza!! :lol:

Yeah though - that is indeed a copious collection
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

raymondu999 wrote:I was wondering when you'd show up in this thread Morteza!! :lol:

Yeah though - that is indeed a copious collection

:twisted: That is how addictive watches can get. I have bought 3 of these in the past 3 months!
BTW, we have a king (goes by the name of Sjors) in collecting G-Shock watches whose collection has more than 500 models! I have a somehow small collection compared to other guys on Watchuseek forum :mrgreen:

Sometimes I think instead of buying so many watches I could save the money and get something classy, but the thing is that mechanical watches drive me crazy (power reserve and accuracy). Considering the fact that I am such a big geek, digital watches are my soft spot. I'm more after the functions rather than aesthetics, you know :wink:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

strad

I'm more after the functions rather than aesthetics
I suppose in everything there are sub-groups. Most people I know that collect or are into watches fall into the aesthetics group. Myself,,the ones I'd like, if I could afford them, fall into the works of art catagory
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

I think you'll need to be more specific there strad. "Work of art" is still a subjective judgment and differs from person to person. I know a person who loves watches for the movement - and watching an intricate watch oscillator and movement is heaven to him. He can listen to a watch running and tell you what kind of movement is inside. That to him is a work of art.

To those who go for aesthetics - those to them are works of art.

You'll have to define what a "work of art" is to you here :mrgreen:

I personally fall more into falling for a watch's looks, but at the same time, without a good movement - the watch is also rubbish. Mind you - even aesthetics is subjective. I know I got my dad a Nautilus for his birthday, but I can't for the life of me understand what people see in it.

I'm quite sure I don't have as many as Morteza's though! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

strad wrote:
I'm more after the functions rather than aesthetics
I suppose in everything there are sub-groups. Most people I know that collect or are into watches fall into the aesthetics group. Myself,,the ones I'd like, if I could afford them, fall into the works of art catagory
I'm sorry. Maybe I put it in a bad way. I meant I buy digital watches for the functions they have compared to the analog ones.

strad

very true...I had a pocket watch with clear faces so you could watch the works,,damn thing was about $300 or so and fob was more. I liked watching it work, where as I had a Mavado,,clean black one ,fairly nice diamond,,used to just plain like to look at it. I like clean design,,not one for extra dials and stems, whereas some people I guess love knowing the time in three countries and timing laps at Le mans. For one thing, unlike Ray I have a small wrist so many of those look humongous and out of place on me.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

Yes - the size has to suit the wrist. Too small, and the watch looks like it's "floating" in the middle of nowhere and looks downright awkward. Too big, and the watch is too overpowering.

Mind you my wrist is big, but not huge. My smallest watch is, as I have said, my BR01-94, which is 46mm IIRC, all the way up to my S3 DeLaCour Asphalt being the biggest, measuring in at 59mm(height) x 62mm (width). Mind you the DeLaCour is borderline on my wrist - it's just about tolerable (in terms of size)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

fritticaldi

Nice thread . My dream watch is the Tag Heuer "Monaco" that Steve McQueen wore. However at $5 000 USD. It is unaffordable for me.
I currently wear Swatch.

strad

Ray..do you get AutoWeek magazine? I was going to mention their fasination with watches and what do they do but have another issue with watches...5 grand is a lot, but they have a Bulgari shown that costs $32,000..off the charts for me but then so is the Eterna Porsche for $20,850. :wtf:
I suppose I should like the David Yurman as they make a Shelby, but that is $7200...Guess I'll have to stick to my Timex. :lol:
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

Never heard of AutoWeek. Is that a watch periodical, or a car periodical?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

Cars, but they have this fascination with high end watches.
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

Nope - doesn't ring any bells whatsoever.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall

Morteza wrote:Image
What model Swatch is that? I really like it.