Watches

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
raymondu999

Re: Watches

Is it a variation on irony?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

bhallg2k wrote:
Morteza wrote:Image
What model Swatch is that? I really like it.
That is Swatch Irony YCB4008AG . One thing I have to mention is that this watch is made of Aluminum which makes it very light. Although I have to admit that Casio gives you a much better watch with superior build quality for the same amount of money. Edifice models are pretty good watches.
raymondu999 wrote:Is it a variation on irony?
Spot on, Ray. That's it.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

raymondu999

Aha. I knew I recognised those chrono dials.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ced381

My wife bought me a Pulsar (by Seiko) PS6045X1 yesterday. Not the most expensive watch around, but I really like its look and feel! :)

Thank you Cath! :D
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

StrikeForceF1
StrikeForceF1

Hi Ray
I love a good time piece, eventhough I cannot afford one right now but I personally like the Brietling 2012 range of chrono's. They have some very beautiful classy time pieces.

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

One day my mom was taking her watch in to get a new battery and my dad says "Oh! can you take uncle Leo's watch in? I've been meaning to get it fixed. It never worked". So she takes the watches to the jewelry store, and he replaces the battery in hers then she hands him Leo's watch and asks for a battery in that too. He looks at her and quietly asks "You don't know what this is do you?" he goes on to explain that it is a Girard-Perregaux and it is clockwork, so doesn't need a battery. Just a good winding.

Now I'm not really into watches or jewelry, but it was my father's deathbed promise to his dieing great uncle Leo that the child his wife (my mother) was pregnant with would be named for him. It was given to him by his war buddies and is engraved to him on the back. It's 18K with a sapphire bezel. It will be mine one day since it belonged to my namesake.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Congratulations on the watches Ced381 and Absolutelee!

I have been watchless since circa elementary school. :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

rjsa
rjsa

Morteza wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:
What model Swatch is that? I really like it.
That is Swatch Irony YCB4008AG . One thing I have to mention is that this watch is made of Aluminum which makes it very light. Although I have to admit that Casio gives you a much better watch with superior build quality for the same amount of money. Edifice models are pretty good watches.
raymondu999 wrote:Is it a variation on irony?
Spot on, Ray. That's it.

Quartz or automatic? My automatic is dying and I want a new one.

Morteza

rjsa wrote: Quartz or automatic? My automatic is dying and I want a new one.
It is a quartz watch. Automatic watches are not my cup of tea, really. I don't want to set my watch every time I wear it since it was not on my wrist for a day, and it needs to be wound again. A quartz watch is much more accurate and needs less maintenance.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Websta

I'm also interested in watches, but don't have much money and spend most of my time in a hospital so I will have to wait a while before I can start a collection.

I particularly dislike the Hublot F1 series - 40-50k watches that have nylon or rubber straps and really tacky F1 themes? You have to be kidding. The design also sort of reminds me of the G-shock watches that kids wear. Sorry to whoever said it was their dream watch!

I also wouldn't look twice at any watch with a diamond or precious stone on the face, unless it served some functional purpose. Those watches are what I would consider jewellery - I am only interested in fine craftsmanship and functionality. I also don't care for metal chain-link straps.

Shrieker

I'm on the market for a men's wrist watch that satisfies the following criteria:

- Brand doesn't matter even in the slightest. Can be a mock.

- Up to 40 euros.

- Reliable, somewhat durable. Water resistance/proof is welcome, so is shock.

- As slim/thin /small as possible.

- I ride two wheels regularly. Strap material preferably not something that'll tear my skin / dig into my wrist in the event of a crash.

- Analog or digital doesn't matter as long as it doesn't look like a kids watch.

- Alarm function.

- Not one of those that looks like a f***** horseshoe. Those are hideous...

So that's about it. Any suggestions welcome.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SiLo

Lucky enough to own a 50th Anniversary Rolex Submariner

but I really like the look of the TAG Carrera GT watch.
Felipe Baby!

emaren
emaren

Shrieker wrote:I'm on the market for a men's wrist watch that satisfies the following criteria:

- Brand doesn't matter even in the slightest. Can be a mock.

- Up to 40 euros.

- Reliable, somewhat durable. Water resistance/proof is welcome, so is shock.

- As slim/thin /small as possible.

- I ride two wheels regularly. Strap material preferably not something that'll tear my skin / dig into my wrist in the event of a crash.

- Analog or digital doesn't matter as long as it doesn't look like a kids watch.

- Alarm function.

- Not one of those that looks like a f***** horseshoe. Those are hideous...

So that's about it. Any suggestions welcome.
If you want slim and analogue, then Stuhrling and Timex do some very attractive watches that are around your price range - maybe a tad more depending on local currency / sales etc.

If you want an alarm though, you are probably into digital. Casio is the best place to start, they start at around 10 euros and you can choose resin or metal cases/straps.

The Casio AW-90H-9EVEF probably would be a good fir for you, it is analogue and digital, has an alarm and is very durable.

Shrieker

Excellent ! Those are some very good suggestions, and the Casio is locally available. Thank you for taking the time ! :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

I find heavy clunky-chunky steel watches instrusive & annoying,
- so I bought a slim Ti Seiko which is both light & feels amibent on the skin, I find it much more bearable..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).