What is faster, Formula1 or MotoGP?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
turbof1

Re: What is faster, Formula1 or MotoGP?

SectorOne wrote:
Clew wrote:I find MotoGP boring :-s
Clearly you did not watch the race at Silverstone ;)
That was the definition of MotoGP right there.
Or Sepang for that matter (although I would certainly not describe that as a definition of MotoGP) :lol: . Phillip Island was one of the best races in motorsport in general I ever saw.

EDIT: oops, forgot to check the dates.
Rainey Fan wrote:I registered for this site specifically to respond to this post because I have a few things to say. I am a fan of both F1 and MotoGP, and enjoy watching most sports with fast cars, bikes, planes (I can't get interested in NASCAR, though). I do follow MotoGP more closely than F1.

First point: Which is faster? A few might say bikes are faster (just like there are those who think global warming doesn't exist), but the lap times speak for themselves. F1 hands down.

Next point: Since it's likely most people on this site, myself included, will never drive a F1 car or ride a MotoGP bike, which is more fun to watch? If Clew finds MotoGP boring, I respect that, but did anyone watch this year's race from Phillip Island? If you didn't think that was exciting, then there's not much more I can say.

Last point: What do you have the economic means to ride/drive? Is it closer in performance to an F1 car or a Moto GP bike? I ride a 2000 Yamaha R1 and I drive a 2010 Mazda 3. I know the Mazda isn't a true performance car, but I will never afford a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc. Let's look at some at some comparisons of pounds per HP. I'll use my son's RSX-S instead of my Mazda; although it's no Porsche or Vette, it's still a fair assessment of an average guy's car. Based on the (very rough) weight and HP figures I looked up:

RSX-S - 14.4 lbs/HP
R1 with rider - 3.8 lbs/HP
F1 with driver - 1.7 lbs/HP
MotoGP with rider - 1.9 lbs/HP

As you can see, the average guy can get a lot closer to the performance of a race machine on a bike than in a car (if you take the time to build your skills). Yes, my son's RSX-S can probably corner harder than I can, but accelerating out of the corners or on a straight, I'd be gone. I always say: To own a fast car you need a lot of money and a reasonable amount of skill. To own a fast bike you need a lot of skill and a reasonable amount of money. And by the way, for my bike I paid half what my son paid for his Acura.
In general, a bike will be very, very quick off the line, but will be hampered in both cornering and top speed.

Concering cost efficiency, well yes: you'll get more bang for each euro/dollar you spend on a bike. However, I think both F1 and MotoGP are sports where money matters little at the top teams.

But again, concerning entertainment MotoGP will win anyday.
#AeroFrodo

Phil

Rainey Fan wrote:I know the Mazda isn't a true performance car, but I will never afford a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc.
I sincerely hope you are aware that there are many many many options somewhere between a Mazda 3 and a Ferrari or McLaren. For one; A Lotus Elise is quite affordable, any Subaru WRX STi or Evo (which are seriously quick cars, also because they are quite predictable) or if you want something seriously scary quick for the same amount of money, a Caterham Super7. The latter will absolutely murder just about any car up to 160kmh in outright punch and cornering, even just about any beloved super or hyper car you can dig out (for one because those cars are huge, heavy and cost and arm and a leg).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

turbof1

Phil wrote:
Rainey Fan wrote:I know the Mazda isn't a true performance car, but I will never afford a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc.
I sincerely hope you are aware that there are many many many options somewhere between a Mazda 3 and a Ferrari or McLaren. For one; A Lotus Elise is quite affordable, any Subaru WRX STi or Evo (which are seriously quick cars, also because they are quite predictable) or if you want something seriously scary quick for the same amount of money, a Caterham Super7. The latter will absolutely murder just about any car up to 160kmh in outright punch and cornering, even just about any beloved super or hyper car you can dig out (for one because those cars are huge, heavy and cost and arm and a leg).
A super 7 is actually a really affordable sports car, around 48k euro's.
#AeroFrodo

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

turbof1 wrote:A super 7 is actually a really affordable sports car, around 48k euro's.

But a 'Super 7 makes a lousy everyday road car, & still cant match a decent bike on the open road, performance-wise..

I prefer a comfortable, practical car - that has reasonable performance ( an M-B sports coupe),
& a bike for real fun.

See below - how a hard-driven Porsche still has trouble keeping up with sports bikes, even in the bends, let alone traffic..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWV1p0ZvoU
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Rainey Fan
Rainey Fan

I guess we have a different opinion of what affordable means! With 2 kids in college, 48k euros isn't quite it for me. I spent less than $4,000 on my R1!

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Rainey Fan wrote:I guess we have a different opinion of what affordable means! With 2 kids in college, 48k euros isn't quite it for me. I spent less than $4,000 on my R1!
Sure RF, we should note that an old R1 road bike like yours did lap the Nurburgring G-B - in everyday traffic - in 7:10..

& for a fraction of that E48K sum, you could get onboard a new R1 - which does directly feature Moto GP derived tech..
..such as 90`crankshaft, active 4T exhaust wave dynamics power-valve & active suspension..

rockster1970
rockster1970

Here you can find real document of 2001 Benetton B201 F1 car acceleration figures.
This car has only 800 hp engine.2004 cars have 950 hp engines.

0-100 km/h : 2.6 sec
0-200 km/h : 5.0 sec
0-300 km/h : 9,7 sec (480 meter distance)

As to my claculation 0- 1/4 mile: approx 8,6 sec

This car has only 800 hp engine.2004 cars (Renault R24,Ferrari F2004,etc) have 950 hp engines.

bueromichaelkuester.de/download/reifen.pdf

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Yeah, back in 1999 Cycle World mag tested the then new Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa.. & a got a 0-60mph of 2.6 secs..
..a 1/4 mile of 9.86 on the way to a 194mph top speed.. this from an inexpensive showroom stock regular road machine..

Here's a comparison of a couple of modified production road vehicles, note the turbo Nissan's 1/4 mile ET/trap speed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2p3SMC9ISM