Racing games

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
mertol

Re: Racing games

So that's why they have this software:
http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/simvibe.aspx

MadMatt

Nice, didn't know this! However, I its another 90$ on top of the buttkicker and all the rest. Starts to get quite expensive. To be honest I would like to try it first before buying it (if I decide to buy it).

MadMatt

So as promised, here is my setup:

I like it at the moment, but I do see a bit of lag between my steering input and the game, oh well I guess I was too used to my 1ms computer screen response. It is not dramatic tho, but has to be said.

SectorOne

You probably know this but you´ve turned off Vsync right?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MadMatt

Yes its off and I did the trick with Nvidia to reduce lag but the pc monitor you see behind is a 24" ASUS running at 144Hz with 1ms response time so its hard to beat :)

mertol

Then why don't you play on the monitor? Size is not important only resolution and aspect ratio.

SectorOne

the most important is using a real FOV. You wont see much on the sides but thats why you run triple screen layout :D
It does wonders to the immersion with triple screen layout.

Agree with mertol, run the computer screen, put it behind the wheel, adjust FOV to 1:1
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MadMatt

You see nothing with a 24" screen. The 55" one is much much better trust me immersion is good with the screen close to me.

Plus I have buttons if I need to look left or right but it does't happen often :D

mertol

I have 3 old 21" screens at 1680x1050x60hz. Best upgrade I've ever done to my sim racing.

SectorOne

MadMatt wrote:You see nothing with a 24" screen. The 55" one is much much better trust me immersion is good with the screen close to me.

Plus I have buttons if I need to look left or right but it does't happen often :D
Because you have the wrong FOV, i got three 24 and with them just behind the wheel and 1:1 FOV you definitely see as much as you so on your current setup.

MadMatt

SectorOne wrote:
MadMatt wrote:You see nothing with a 24" screen. The 55" one is much much better trust me immersion is good with the screen close to me.

Because you have the wrong FOV, i got three 24 and with them just behind the wheel and 1:1 FOV you definitely see as much as you so on your current setup.
This is subjective I think. I see much better details when the screen is bigger. Heck, I couldn't even see the rev counter sometimes because it was too small on the 24". I've set the FOV to 70° I think, and I find it easy to play with. I don't need to see what is around my car to be honest, just what is up front, and I can precisely put the wheel on the opposite side of where the steering wheel is on the kerb, like I would do with my real car. :)

I thought about buying 2 extra 24" 144Hz monitors but it is really too small for my liking. Maybe 3x27" would make me prefer 3 screens over a big one, I don't know, but I definitely love the 55". Even though about a beamer but quality wasn't that good (for the price of a nice 55").

SectorOne

MadMatt wrote:This is subjective I think. I see much better details when the screen is bigger. Heck, I couldn't even see the rev counter sometimes because it was too small on the 24". I've set the FOV to 70° I think, and I find it easy to play with. I don't need to see what is around my car to be honest, just what is up front, and I can precisely put the wheel on the opposite side of where the steering wheel is on the kerb, like I would do with my real car. :)
It´s not really, if you have the correct FOV you´ll have a 1:1 realistic viewport with everything in the same scale as you have in real life. The fact that you don´t need to see what´s around the car is an even bigger reason to use 1:1 FOV (the reason people run more FOV is to see more on the sides so they deviate from the correct FOV on purpose)

The FOV you show on the TV there is off by country miles in terms of having the correct FOV.
MadMatt wrote:I thought about buying 2 extra 24" 144Hz monitors but it is really too small for my liking.
How far did you have the screens from your wheel?

I hope you do realize that distance from your eyes to the screen plays a part in what you can see.
It´s not just screen size alone. That´s why VR goggles don´t come with 50 inch displays for example.

MadMatt

What do you want me to do then if its not the real FOV? I won't buy 2 other TVs and I won't sell it to buy 2 computer screens. I find this FOV perfectly playable. You say my FOV is country miles off, which is wrong! Sit in a formula car like this and check what is your FOV, it won't be far off.

The only thing is that we have a hemispheric vision due to the shape of our eye, and my TV is flat so for sure its not like IRL, but it is not far off!

SectorOne

MadMatt wrote:What do you want me to do then if its not the real FOV? I won't buy 2 other TVs and I won't sell it to buy 2 computer screens. I find this FOV perfectly playable.
Well you complained about not seeing anything on a 24 screen sitting much closer to your face and i just pointed out it´s because your FOV was totally off. (and it still is on the TV)
Having correct FOV has lots of benefits. I figured i post a video instead,

alexcharles

MadMatt wrote:So as promised, here is my setup:

http://s1.postimg.org/qosp6yau7/seat.jpg

I like it at the moment, but I do see a bit of lag between my steering input and the game, oh well I guess I was too used to my 1ms computer screen response. It is not dramatic tho, but has to be said.
Wow.........Madmat....very nice set up.......master piece for gamer. =D> =D> =D>