Racing games

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Alonso Fan

Re: Racing games

rscsr wrote:
11 May 2020, 19:18
Alonso Fan wrote:
11 May 2020, 18:39
rscsr wrote:
11 May 2020, 16:59

The FF of the CSL is way too low and by far not quick enough to hurt you in any way and not comparable to the DD at all. While decent for a consumer wheel, it is just not a complete joke at best.
If the csl is a complete joke then I wonder what the g29 is haha
Yeah, a bit harsh, but the problem is that all those belt driven wheels are way too slow. They may be fine on smooth asphalt. There you feel the cornering forces quite fine. But once you are becoming quicker laptime wise you are going to feel the belt winding up and all the forces are quite mushy. Especially when driving over the curbs.
The G29 is actually a gear driven wheel. While still relatively slow, it is crisper than the (non DD) Fanatec wheels and the torque is still too low.
I used to have a Fanatec wheel and upgraded with a DD and the DD broke. So I went back to the Fanatec and it felt like mixing honey.
Yes g29 is just a rebranded repackaged g27/25. All are gear driven. But I’ve read and watched numerous reviews of many wheels and the general consensus is that thrustmaster wheels are the next step up (belt driven) and fanatecs csl and club sport are the next step after that. Then come the do wheels. Maybe you’re right about what you say but the overall experience on the csl has got to be miles better than the g29. I’ll be able to see when my new stand arrives.

Also it’s not all about peak torque and force. Any real world racing driver (even Indy car and group c) won’t experience more than 7-8Nm of torque. Driving at torques of 15Nm plus like many youtubers do is unrealistic in that regard. Of course the csl can’t reach 7-8Nm but it can get much closer than the g29 and standard thrustmaster wheels
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

rscsr

Alonso Fan wrote:
13 May 2020, 14:09
rscsr wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:
11 May 2020, 18:39

If the csl is a complete joke then I wonder what the g29 is haha
Yeah, a bit harsh, but the problem is that all those belt driven wheels are way too slow. They may be fine on smooth asphalt. There you feel the cornering forces quite fine. But once you are becoming quicker laptime wise you are going to feel the belt winding up and all the forces are quite mushy. Especially when driving over the curbs.
The G29 is actually a gear driven wheel. While still relatively slow, it is crisper than the (non DD) Fanatec wheels and the torque is still too low.
I used to have a Fanatec wheel and upgraded with a DD and the DD broke. So I went back to the Fanatec and it felt like mixing honey.
Yes g29 is just a rebranded repackaged g27/25. All are gear driven. But I’ve read and watched numerous reviews of many wheels and the general consensus is that thrustmaster wheels are the next step up (belt driven) and fanatecs csl and club sport are the next step after that. Then come the do wheels. Maybe you’re right about what you say but the overall experience on the csl has got to be miles better than the g29. I’ll be able to see when my new stand arrives.

Also it’s not all about peak torque and force. Any real world racing driver (even Indy car and group c) won’t experience more than 7-8Nm of torque. Driving at torques of 15Nm plus like many youtubers do is unrealistic in that regard. Of course the csl can’t reach 7-8Nm but it can get much closer than the g29 and standard thrustmaster wheels
I think Indycar isn't using power steering. According to this article, the steering forces are about 35pounds = 16kg --> with a 275mm steering wheel --> 44Nm torque on the steering wheel.

SmallSoldier

I have a Fanatec CSL Elite and couldn’t be happier with it... So far it has been really solid... I play a lot of GT Sport and depending on the car and track, it can really be a work out to complete 15-20 laps... I am waiting to buy the Load Cell brake, which according to a few friends will probably make the biggest difference in my driving experience (since pressure on the brake is easier to modulate the pedal travel distance for trail braking for example).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alonso Fan

rscsr wrote:
13 May 2020, 16:38
Alonso Fan wrote:
13 May 2020, 14:09
rscsr wrote:

I think Indycar isn't using power steering. According to this article, the steering forces are about 35pounds = 16kg --> with a 275mm steering wheel --> 44Nm torque on the steering wheel.
As far as I know neither did group c that's why I mentioned them together. My point was that even non power steering cars are at less than 10Nm. That's what I heard. boosted media mentioned a max of 8Nm even for cars like group c

Also you made a slight error. He says he needs both hands to overcome 35 pounds. That'd make a 15.8kg load for both hands. Each hand gets 7.9kg and then multiply by g and the diameter of the wheel gives 21.31Nm. So half what you mentioned. But still above what boosted media said. I'm intregued where he got his info from. Man it's times like this when I actually miss uni lol
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 14 May 2020, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 May 2020, 22:28
I have a Fanatec CSL Elite and couldn’t be happier with it... So far it has been really solid... I play a lot of GT Sport and depending on the car and track, it can really be a work out to complete 15-20 laps... I am waiting to buy the Load Cell brake, which according to a few friends will probably make the biggest difference in my driving experience (since pressure on the brake is easier to modulate the pedal travel distance for trail braking for example).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. Won't be getting the load cell kit yet. Out of my budget atm. Spent the last bit on a new stand and the shifter
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

SteveRacer

I too am using a G25. There are times when it can be so noisy. I can't complain thought, it has served me well the past few years.

NathanOlder

I just added a Shifter and a BMW GT2 wheel rim to my DD1 F1 set up. Had to make a mod to my home made rig, so I welded a few extra bits on. 1 negative is, to get out of the seat, I have to remove the wheel and climb out. Positive being its like a real single seater :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SteveRacer

A guy we race with has an ex-indy chassis he uses for his sim setup. It looks super cramped. It is pretty wild to see and looks impressive in his house!

NathanOlder

Nice. thats possibly the next thing id like to do. with some single seater chassis
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

mertol

I don't agree that belt driven is an upgrade. I had t500 and g27. T500 has a few times stronger ffb but gear driven has a lot more detailed ffb.

RZS10

During the virtual 24h of Lemans rfactor2 managed to prove how garbage it is with all the server issues, AI taking over cars for no reason, screen freezes etc ... pathetic

NathanOlder

Id imagine having 50 cars (200 computers) staying in contact for 24 hrs is quite a challenge. Internet services always drop out momentarily but 99. 9% of people would never notice.

I think the problem is the Internet isn't up to it more than anything else.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

mertol

It's not possible to have 200 people with perfect connection. The game should expect and allow for that.

RZS10

It wasn't connection issues though, it was all server side, that's why they had to restart it several times - other games can run 24h races without major issues.

neilalexander

I have run several 24 hour races in iRacing and never had server issues.