2007 Lexus LS 460

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
f1.redbaron

2007 Lexus LS 460

I'm in love. Granted, the front end looks a lot like Toyota's Avalon model, and the back was stolen from the 5-series, but interior is amazing. It has a 380hp engine with 8 (yes, EIGHT) gears.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/Images?criteria=07LS460

jezzwa

looks quite nice, if u can't beat them then join them...i guess :?
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

Spencifer_Murphy

I dunno...the back doesnt look quite as bad as the 5-series! :lol:

8gears?!...this things os obviously designed to pull off the line quite quickly.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

manchild
manchild

If Mercedes is a donkey and if BMW is a horse than Lexus is definitely a mule. :wink:

8 gears manual or automatic?

terrorist22
terrorist22

At least Lexus doesn't have the notorious reliability problems of any German car (especially Mercedes-Benz). And the price is the best.

The only thing you can't say about Lexus is that it's German. Like my friend said, you're just paying for the name, not the car. And both of us used to own German cars in the past.

dumrick
dumrick

After ripping off Mercedes designs, Lexus began ripping off BMW... oh, well...
Toyota makes the most reliable cars in the world, but I would be unable to buy one (and that's serious, I even have substantial discount on Toyotas and Lexus and I don't drive one). There's no original inspiration that may light that spark of interest on their cars... just like korean car makers... in terms of japanese manufacturers, Honda (see the new Civic!) and Nissan prove that you can be japanese and design attractive cars.

f1.redbaron

manchild wrote:
8 gears manual or automatic?
Automatic. Lexus has a manual transmission on only one of its models and that is the IS series (Lexus' version of the BMW's 3-series). And even then, most people choose the one with an automatic transmission.

-----------------

While Lexus/Toyota are pretty conservative when it comes to the design of their vehicles (read: they "borrow" the design from other car manufacturers), you have to give it to them when it comes to quality. I mean, you can just torture them and they'll still keep going and going.

terrorist22
terrorist22

I agree with you dumrick. The only exception I can see with toyota was the SC400, which was sold in the U.S. between 1992 and 2000, and the Supra, which of course hasn't been to the States since 1997.

I am not a fan of the design of the new Civic, but it gets the job done. Nissan makes exciting products, but for the 350Z and G35, they need a new supplier of plastics. They are crap for what you pay for. Their reliability is also not on par with Toyota and Honda.

I was planning on getting the IS350, but after driving one, it wouldn't have been a nice purchase. It is nicely built inside and out, but it is boring to drive. The fact that they advertise the gearbox similar to Toyota's F1 car is extremely misleading, unless you didn't know Toyota competes in F1. The next car was a BMW 330i, but every spoiled kid has one where I live (Southern California), so it'd be like owning a Civic in Japan.

Next was the 350Z or G35, but again, I can't stand the cheap plastic for what you pay. Maybe when Nissan releases the new Skyline there'll be improvements in this.

manchild
manchild

I never understood American comprehension of cars and that continues since in Europe no one would consider any Toyota or Nissan over BMW or Mercedes. They might look similar, be more reliable, have better performance and be cheaper but Toyota and Nissan make confection while BWM and Mercedes make very special cars.

I'd always rather spend same amount on series 3 BMW or C class Mercedes than on no matter how big Toyota or Nissan especially when it matters Lexus who’s meaning of existence is to copy German cars which is unique absurdity.

When it matters Land Cruiser hats down for Toyota, BMW X series or ML Mercedes are out of league.

I don't know how it is to pick a chick in USA but in Europe BMW and Mercedes are still aphrodisiac while Japanese are just another big new cars in the sea of similar. :wink:

So, if I was an American without enough money for BMW or Mercedes I’d be driving Chrysler, Cadillac or at least Chevrolet rather than any Japanese car.

terrorist22
terrorist22

I don't drive a car to pick up chicks, that's for sure. Some people here call that "compensating for size." I drive what I want to drive and couldn't give a sh*t about what girls dig what kind of car. Having a nice car will PROBABLY help u get laid, but if u need a car to do that, you have serious problems. Aside from that, if you lived in Southern California, you'd realize almost everybody has an MB or Beemer.

Yes, Lexus has had the tendency to copy German cars, at least in terms of design. Thank God they don't copy them in terms of reliability and customer service. Lexus has been the No.1 luxury brand in the U.S. since 2000, so obviously that means they're doing something right. Toyota has surpassed Ford in terms of market share in the U.S. last year and most likely will overtake GM this year.

MB and BMW make nice cars but IMO, after driving them for a year, that doesn't mean anything to me. It becomes a commuter car after that. A Japanese car can do that much more reliably and for cheaper. I can get a Japanese car for daily driving and then maybe a weekend car that's probably German or Italian (the latter highly unlikely).

Next is for Toyota to win the Constructors, and possibly buy out FOM

manchild
manchild

Mentioning chicks is just one metaphorical explanation of what BMW and Mercedes mean to people among other things.

Lexus looks like mutant between BMW and Mercedes but it is actually sad example of lack of designer’s creativity without any charisma or dignity. If Toyota has better reliability that why don't they design their own cars instead of waiting for new BMW or Mercedes to roll out to steal basic lines?

As someone who likes cars and fast driving I can't imagine enjoying myself more in Toyota than in BMW. I think that no one buys BMW for transportation from point A to point B. When someone buys BMW it is because of its class and racing heritage. So, if people buy Lexus because they can't afford BMW, and Lexus looks like BMW, than what are those people looking for - I think that it is BMW that they are looking for so buying Lexus at least to me is a hypocrite move.

To me that seams like choosing big silicones rather than big naturals because they are easier to get and because they float and don’t get saggy even though only purpose of silicones is to resemble naturals as much as possible.

terrorist22
terrorist22

There's a lot of people who buy a BMW just to say they own one... hence the many people who buy the ones without the maximum engine (i.e. so many 325s vs 330s). I figure if you're going to buy a German car, you might as well go all out and not settle for less.

Lexus was never meant to be a performance car oriented company, they admit it. They put reliability above that. They have good engines but sacrifice performance. Their cars are meant for everyday, reliable driving; for the occasional cornering the GS and IS are sufficient, even though outclassed by BMW.

I used to be a proponent about how German cars have new innovations, but the fact that electronics glitches are more common than on Japanese cars means that they haven't exactly tested them out properly. I used to drive a BMW 735il and an MB 300E, and they had a grave number of problems compared to my Lexus SC400. They were cars u can throw around corners but the wear rate and poor electronics really paled in comparison.

By the way, I believe the Lexus RX300 was the first successful car-based SUV and now everybody is trying to build one, so that is some sort of innovation.

You can get a 350Z and smoke a BMW in a straight line, with the G35 doing the same. They will more or less get the same track time, but the Japanese cars are usually cheaper. Nissan probably has the most bang for buck in the compact luxury class.

As for fast driving, I drive shifter karts, so it doesn't even matter what I drive on the road.

BMW and MB don't make bad cars; if I could have any car I want I would get a CLS500. But reality is I'm not rich, and with rising gas prices, and long job commutes, it's not really economical.

f1.redbaron

I want to get back on the subject of Japanese vs. German cars, and not the chicks, because, as terrorist 22 pointed out, it is a saaaad way of getting laid. Why are people switching to Toyotas and Hondas? Because most people (especially ones in N. America) would like to purchase a car which will not let them down. This is where GM and Ford had lost the battle with Toyota. N. American car manufacturers wanted to build these big boats with engines of over 5.0L, cars that can fly down the road, cars that would be replaced (thanks to the booming economy) every couple of years, while Toyota decided to build cars that are durable, efficient and economical. The latter prevailed. The economy had slowed down, then we had the oil crisis, etc., etc., before you know it, those small cars with their 1.4L engines don't look that bad anymore.

Another thing that worked so well for Toyota is that they have a firm belief in kaizen (a never-ending gradual improvement). Whatever they did, however good it looked, it wasn't good enough. There was always room for improvement. That kind of mentality and a big appetite helped them get where they are now.

MB and BMW used to be at the top. They were known for their quality, and, above all, how well they were engineered. But nothing is forever. Even the Roman empire had to come to an end. BMW and MB are losing the battle with Toyota simply because Toyota will out-budget them. Those two companies might be able to put a good product on the market, but Toyota will be able to come out with a better version of that product. Who wins? Well, the customer. The customer will have a better product, which means "more bang for his buck".

Manchild, if you ever get a desire to learn something about Toyota, I can recommend a couple of good books. Once you've read them, you'll be able to understand how is it that Toyota is able to put out such a good product on the market, and why is it that they have more money than they know what to do with it. And don't take this as an ad for Toyota. As a big Lexus fan (and a proud owner of one), I will be one of the first ones to admit that BMW makes a more beautiful product.

dumrick
dumrick

I don't think Manchild is, in any way, questioning Toyota's quality or philosophy. However, I understand very well his point of view (and the "chicks" argument isn't a litteral one): usually, at least in Europe, buying a Toyota is a non-passionate, rational decision, connected with people who DON'T LIKE cars. It's the ultimate family man's car, one that isn't interested at all in a car in a deeper way than he is interested by his fridge: he wants it to deliver and last.

manchild
manchild

Thanks dumrick, you said it differently but guessed my point of view 100%.

I know they make highly reliable cars with very little need for visits to services or and all Toyota cars (not Lexus) nowadays look good too but as most Japanese cars they have problem with charisma and I'm not talking about Mitsubishi :wink:

Perhaps this is unknown to our American friends but buying new Japanese car in Europe means that once you decide to sell it and buy another car you won't be able to get as near as much money as if you are selling used European car. Even the cars in low class follow this pattern. I think that the problem with all Japanese cars except Subaru and perhaps Suzuki and Mitsubishi is in fact (and this especially goes for Toyota) that they are constantly trying to make cars similar to European cars, in all classes.

Therefore, they have nothing original to offer including the shape of the car or memorable logo. Another problem is in constancy to certain philosophy of a manufacturer and its approach to design. Toyota has none – it simply changes anything on the car in order to catch up European competition and when you line-up several Toyota’s from several decades from same class you’ll detect no bloodline or genes connecting these cars. So, they are simply boring.

Toyota’s only philosophy is profit. They are not making anything but mean of transportation and people in Europe look for originality, background, charisma, style etc. even in smallest cars. If people in Europe would consider cars mainly as mean of transportation than they with cars act as dumrick mentioned just when buying a fridge - design isn’t in question, originality also but mainly price and quality.

As I’ve mentioned Toyota’s best product is Landcruiser. There you have tradition, quality and original design in one package and that is why it is highly respected in Europe too. After Land Rover and Puch, Toyota’s Landcruiser is probably the best off road vehicle in the world. And that is my point. With cars of other categories Toyota has no background, no fame and all it does now is trying to make anything just to remain on market without being able to build charisma anymore.

That is why I think Toyota should focus on off-road cars, Subaru on 4X4 racy sedans which goes for Mitsubishi too, Suzuki should stick to small cars etc. Those are areas where they have build-up reputation and fame.

It could be said that what Red Bull is in F1 that is what Toyota passenger cars are on the market – they have every physical aspect as F1 teams with great history but no specific meaning of existence, with no philosophy to pursuit and promote. Red Bull is energy drinks manufacturer and it entered F1 not because it wants to prove that it makes good cars but only for marketing purposes. I really, really wonder what would be the meaning of WCC if Red Bull would ever win it. It would only mean that they bought best designers and engineers and invested most money.

BTW, if I was rich European or American I'd never consider Mercedes over BMW. I drove several Mercedes cars that were company vehicles and compared to BMW they seam like living room on wheels - boring as hell.

P.S. I'm too old to go cruising and picking chicks with car :(