Windows question

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
manchild

Windows question

I have one folder on my HDD and it contains 633 mp3 files (only mp3 files of identcal bitrate).

But... when I click folder properties it shows 634 files while Winamp loads only 633 files because they are only 633 mp3 files (I have printed list).

I checked with fresh antivirus and my PC is clean. There are no other files except those 633 (I keep show hidden files on all the time).

What can it be? Why is Windows showing one file more?

:shock: :?:
Last edited by manchild on 27 Jan 2006, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

DaveKillens

Do you have the folder view options set to display hiden files?
It can be changed by opening "Windows Explorer", clicking Tools > Folder Options > View

manchild

Yes, I have that always on but it shows nothing else except 633 mp3 files.

Now I've deleted all mp3 files from that folder and properties say that there is on file in that folder whose size iz 77 bytes (size on disk 32 kb). I can't see any file there even in MS-Dos prompt.

Antivirus finds nothing, it is fresh and my PC has no problems.

johny

there're some files like thumbs.db or similar, try to delete the folder and create a new one, but 77kb is not significative

Windows Guy
Windows Guy

Sometimes a drive can become corrupt to the point where it will report things like this. A particular section has a bad sector and cannot be read from or written to , but the original pointer to that section still survives. This is a rare case, but if you can find no hidden file or any other explaination then that could be the culprit.

manchild

Windows Guy wrote:Sometimes a drive can become corrupt to the point where it will report things like this. A particular section has a bad sector and cannot be read from or written to , but the original pointer to that section still survives. This is a rare case, but if you can find no hidden file or any other explaination then that could be the culprit.
I had two identical folders on different locations on HDD and identical problem in both. Even when I copy that "empty" folder to another location nothing chages. HDD has no bad sectors.

:?:

Thanks guys!

Tom

I have had a few problems with XPs in general.

The first one, the CD drive stopped opening and the DVD stopped reading.
we think it was due to a virus.

And on Monday the new one took over an hour to start up, and when it did it had reset everything!
I lost every single program I'd installed, including broadband.
I don't know much about computers, so can anyone offer any advice?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild

Tom wrote:I have had a few problems with XPs in general.

The first one, the CD drive stopped opening and the DVD stopped reading.
we think it was due to a virus.

And on Monday the new one took over an hour to start up, and when it did it had reset everything!
I lost every single program I'd installed, including broadband.
I don't know much about computers, so can anyone offer any advice?
Can you start it at all? Do you have some restore points? Try with the oldest restore point if you can access one.

If you've lost all programs on HDD including valuable documents than best thing is to format HDD and install XP again.

Tom

Sorry, don't understand this techno jargon.

Computer did start, however just as it came out the box.
It seems to ave deleted half the memory
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild

Tom wrote:Sorry, don't understand this techno jargon.

Computer did start, however just as it came out the box.
It seems to ave deleted half the memory
to check if you have restore point do this:

Start - All programs - Accessories - System tools - System restore - Restore my computer to an earlier time - *than select the restore point from calendar with oldest date. PC will restore to state from that date which will require automatic restart (just let PC do its job and wait a little longer for it to restarts).

Using any antivirus and firewall? Try this antivirus, it is free and simple

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus- ... ag=lst-0-2

After it installs, allow it to update new virus definitons and than let him scan whole PC and kill the viruses.

But that doesn't mean that you can go on without firewall, get Zonealarm firewall.

Tom

The earliest restore date is the day after it broke down.

Cheers for the advice.

Tom

manchild

:lol: