Dynamic Camber Control - F 400 Carving Research Vehicle

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
ginsu
ginsu

Dynamic Camber Control - F 400 Carving Research Vehicle

Has anybody ever seen this? I had never heard of it, but I think it's really exciting. I'd love to see this in a road car.

The main attraction in the F 400 Carving is a new system that varies the camber angle on the outer wheels between 0 and 20 degrees, depending on the road situation. Used in conjunction with newly-developed tyres, it provides 30 percent more lateral stability than a conventional system with a fixed camber setting and standard tyres. This considerably enhances active safety, since better lateral stability equals improved road adhesion and greater cornering stability.

Active camber control boosts the research vehicle's maximum lateral ac-celeration to 1.28 g, meaning that the concept study outperforms current sports cars by some 28 percent.
Last edited by ginsu on 05 Feb 2006, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
I love to love Senna.

ginsu
ginsu

I love to love Senna.

ginsu
ginsu

I love to love Senna.

joseff

On a road car, you'd need custom tires to suit that car. I don't think it's safe to do 20deg of camber correction with off-the-shelf tires. Combine this with typical consumer ignorance, and you'll have the perfect recipe for autobahn blowouts.

Too little camber correction, why bother? Too much on unsuitable tires, bang!

ginsu
ginsu

Certainly, -20 degrees is a bit much, but -5 degrees wouldn't be bad in a road car and it wouldn't require specialized tires.
I love to love Senna.

Spencifer_Murphy

didn't Renault's R23 or R23B have some sort of susension that varied the camber whilst turning the wheel?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:didn't Renault's R23 or R23B have some sort of susension that varied the camber whilst turning the wheel?
Caster :lol:

Seriously, has anyone actually seen the Michelin Optimum Contact Patch thing used on the Renault?

Spencifer_Murphy

Caster
LMAO...you know what i mean!
Seriously, has anyone actually seen the Michelin Optimum Contact Patch thing used on the Renault?
Is that what it is called?! LOL...I never knew...know that I know what its called....does anybody know how it works?!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I read about this suspension method about a year ago in a racing tech magazine. it alters the wheel camber based on forces acting on the tire. On straights, the camber is set to optimum straight settings, and when it senses lateral forces, the linkages inside the uprights move and alter the camber. It has been tested on Renault F1 cars, but appears to have been an idea discarded.
This system is passive, requires no power or mechanical or driver input.

manchild
manchild

This would work excellent with rear wheels from Moto GP bikes :idea:

Tom

As a technician, I would hate to work on something that complex.
I draw the lines at those fantastic old Hydo-pneumat suspension Citroens.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It's purely mechanical, just some bars and rods with some ball joints thrown in to allow movement. I will try to dig up the original article and post it here asap.

This may be old news, but I remember hearing something about a McLaren in the late nineties having an active toe-in or caster mechanism that would aid the braking system by turning the wheels inboard.

Kind of like you would do on skis to slow down on the snow.
Apparently it was tested but banned before it was ever raced.

Anyone know anything about it.

-T

Kind of like you would do on skis to slow down on the snow.
Apparently it was tested but banned before it was ever raced.

Wow, that would absolutely destroy tires with the lateral scrub due to the toe-in. I guess it wouldn't matter in F1 though.

greenpower dude reloaded

wouldn't matter?!?!?!? F1 is all about getting the best out of your tyres its pretty important you don't wreck them especially when we had the 1 set of tyres rule