Winter Olympics

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
West

I can't believe those curling stones are 1500 bucks. Can't believe the brooms are also made of carbon fiber.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

johny

:shock: so they don't think about cost cutting in curling

DaveKillens

A set of granite stones can be expensive, but they are always purchased and owned by the rink. And just like any upscale sports club, sometimes they want the best for the members. But a good set can last ten years, maybe more.
For the curlers, many of us, including incompetent amateurs, want the best. Whether golf clubs, or soccer shoes, or curling broom. So like many situations, if there are people willing to pay in excess, there will be a manufacturer willing to build and construct it.

Reca

DaveKillens wrote:Oh yea, in Canada curling is huge. Myself, I come from a "curling family", where we have been exposed and participate for most of our lives. Heck, what other "sport" can you participte while having a drink? lol.
I heard that in Italy that curling is being watched by a large TV audience.
Reca, you should be proud that your nation is hosting such a wonderful event, and doing so well. Although our speed skating men's team pursuit came second, to see the Italian team win was a great accomplishment, worthy of praise and celebration.
Thank you Dave. Yes I’m indeed very proud because they are doing a very good work with the organization, I hope you get the same impression also in other countries. Sadly weather the last few days wasn’t good and that caused some problems, for alpine sky particularly.

As for the gold in skating, that was a great, and unexpected, emotion. Skating was my passion for many years till sadly I had to stop but the enthusiasm for that sport is still intact. Then consider that the dad of one of the guys was making tv commentary, as you can imagine he simply went crazy and a second after the arrival he started to cry... a great moment. And even greater emotion, if possible, the ceremony with the whole Metal Plaza singing Fratelli d’Italia. We got a replay yesterday with cross-country relay.

As for curling, I can’t believe Italians won with Canada... it’s just one of these strange things happening at OG probably, don’t expect we’ll see a repeat. I didn’t know the result when I posted Saturday because they stopped the coverage after the first two ends to show hockey and men’s super G so I could see the last part only at night. It’s indeed getting good audience, just like all the sports. Italian tv is also doing a good job on that, showing almost everything and always with a coach/ex-athlete doing the commentary together with a, well prepared, journalist. They guide your attention on the most important details of each sport, so after a while, even if it’s first time you watch it, you can start to appreciate it.

It’s great to see that a country so intensively focused on soccer alone can finally discover that sport isn’t just kicking a ball, in these couple of weeks there’s the opportunity to discover many new things finally with the availability of the adequate facilities, the hope that kids particularly could maybe find something they can build a passion on is refreshing.

DaveKillens

Curling actually has a few things with soccer. It definitely is a team sport, no one player can win. It takes everyone. There is a lot of skill involved, although on the surface it appears easy. I can kick a soccer ball, but compared to those who truly play soccer, I'm nowhere close. It is a game of patience and strategy, the game comes to those with clear minds and can deal with pressure.

johny

i watched my first curling match a few days ago and get very impressed with player's skill

zac510

I would have thought curling had more in common with lawn bowls. The nordic version of lawn bowls!

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any lawn bowls since I moved to the UK. Not like down under where all retirees play it.

Spencifer_Murphy

I'm very interested in watching it on the winter olympics....but to this day i still dont understand the scoreing!!!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

DaveKillens

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:I'm very interested in watching it on the winter olympics....but to this day i still dont understand the scoreing!!!
Only stones in the rings may count. Position doesn't matter, just the distance to the center. The team closest to the center scores a point, and a point for each rock closer than a competitor's. Fot instance, let's assume that at the end of an "end", there are four rocks inside the rings. The closest is yellow, the next closest is another yellow. The third closest is red, and the fourth distant is yellow. So the yellows score two points.
I hope this may help.

zac510

That's just like petanque and other rock throwing games.

Spencifer_Murphy

Yeah that helps a lot thanx Davekillens!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

DaveKillens

lol, you're very welcome. Just ask any Canadian about hockey and curling.... :wink:
As an additional note for anyone totally unfamiliar with curling, the 40 pound granite rocks will "curl" in the direction of rotation. The "sweepers" can alter the curl and distance by sweeping because the action of rubbing the ice in front of the rock decreases the temperature slightly, decreasing friction. So after the rock is thrown, the distance and path of the rock can be altered by sweeping. It's an essential element of the game.
Now if only our hockey guys can get their act together. Over here, they are the prime focus. In fact, after their double loss to both Finland and Sweden (btw, congrats to both Sweden and Finland) that event was the major headline in every newspaper and news story.
My personal hockey hero is Kris Draper, number 33. He doesn't steal the headlines, but his accomplishements are numerous, and he works hard and plays very well all the time.

f1.redbaron

DaveKillens wrote:l
Now if only our hockey guys can get their act together. Over here, they are the prime focus. In fact, after their double loss to both Finland and Sweden (btw, congrats to both Sweden and Finland) that event was the major headline in every newspaper and news story.
I don't think I would've been as pissed off had Canada lost to Sweden...but Canada lost to Switzerland!!! Correction, they were shut-out by the Swiss team.

And to add the insult to injury, Canada was just put out by the Russians...I can only expect that tomorrow, the flags will be at half-mast as Harper announces the national day of mourning.

DaveKillens

Yea, we got beat by a better team today, congratulations to the Russian team. Crap happens, and we literally got beat at our own game. ut we take this pretty seriously, and there will be massive changes by the time Vancouver 2010 rolls around.
An entire nation on suicide watch... :wink:

Andreas

Some what OT maybe, but this thread is my most interesting reading of the day! :D It's facinating to share your point of veiws, from all around the globe.

Anyway, congrats to Canada for winning the curling goldmedal!
But did anyone see the streaker in the womens bronze final? *lol* I can't explain it, but I'd bet my car he's british... :wink:
So much for non advertising.

Well Dave, since hockey is near my heart as well let me just say that I'm pleased that the Swedish hockey team won't be losing to team Canada this time. Again. (Thinking about the latest couple of World Championship-finals.)
I sure don't know if Finland will prove to be an easier opposition, actually I almost doubt it.

Did anyone see the Russia-Canada game? Quite briliant play, I must say. Though the referee couldn't really match the world class standards of the players. How about that goal, that wasn't a goal... In my book it should have been 1-1...

If it counts for anything; I've been in your place.
Except it was Belarus in the last winter olympics. Then it was Sweden on suicide watch...
Talk about being the underdog. Even team Belarus wasn't expecting a win. They had already booked the flight tickets home!

Well. I can say it will be better. Eventually. Though scarred. :wink:

The perfect remedy would of course be a win on Sunday!