Tobacco livery/Tobacco statistical discussion

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Cold Fussion

Re: 2016 Fantasy Liveries topic

In Australia it's illegal to smoke indoors. I agree with that ban because while it's not a problem if one person is smoking, if you have a whole workplace smoking then you can have significant air pollution that isn't realistic to opt out of. As far as child abuse go, everything is child abuse these days to social justice warriors.

djos

2016 Fantasy Liveries topic

Cold Fussion wrote:
djos wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote:Second hand smokers have this gigantic filter called the atmosphere.
I seem to have hit a nerve, I'm guessing you smoke?
I don't smoke at all but when science turns into ideology I get triggered. Sure pound for pound second hand smoke may be worse than directly inhaling it, but that ignores every other variable involved. The problem is that this ideology is drilled into kids at school, to the point where some people believe that someone smoking 2m away from them outside is going to give them cancer because they were taught second hand smoking is bad.
Look I see your point, I wasn't taking about smoking outdoors, I was taking about in enclosed spaces like cars, houses etc. In these environments 2nd hand smoke is as dangerous as smoking if exposure is a regular thing.

Last I checked second hand smoke is considered more dangerous than the mainstream smoke that is actually inhaled. The smoke that comes off the end of the cigarette has a higher concentration of cancer-causing agents. A person who smokes actually is smoking the cigarette through a filter which diminishes some of the harmful toxins.

When smokers blow out smoke it lingers in the air for several hours afterwards and effects the lungs and oxygen levels of the people around the smokers. The second hand smoke contains smaller particles than mainstream smoke, which make their way into the body's cells more easily.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Mangalhit

Re: Tobacco livery/Tobacco statistical discussion

The harm of second-hand smoke is not that clear since most studies were done with meta-statistics which can have many other explanations for the co-relations it finds. Moreover while is true that second-hand smoke comes mainly from the side stream that bypasses the filter, a first-hand smoker will also inhale it being first and second hand smoker. Also various studies fail to see relevant corelations between second-hand smoke and several diseases.

On this subject I think alcohol also causes problems to thirds even if indirectly through public brawls and general increase in crime and drunk driving. In any case I think tobacco advertising per se is as bad as alcohol, high sugar drinks or fast food.

Tobacco so heavily frown upon by nowadays society I think it will be very bad for it to come back to F1, just because it will make F1 criticised and disregarded by our conservative society. Can you imagine the thousands of complains by "mothers" against F1 not worth the aesthetic and comercial improvement. I don't think Ferrari would want a Marlboro sticker on the car, they are pretty happy as it is now, get the money don't get the critics.

GSBellew

Re: 2016 Fantasy Liveries topic

turbof1 wrote:Ehm? Companies usually forbid cigarettes because ashes and the remaining stump can cause harm to the production. They don't do it because they care about the health of their employees.
Depends what country you are in, smoking in the workplace was banned in Ireland in 2004, remember workplaces consist of more than just factories. I believe a lot of other countries have imposed similar bans in the years since.

Incidentally it is now also illegal to smoke in a car with children present in Ireland.

I'm not sure tobacco advertising would solve all of F1's woes, I have my doubts that "big tobacco" is as big as it was back in the day & I would wonder if the budget would be there to splash out as it once was.