The Splash & Dash

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
WaikeCU

The Splash & Dash

Hi lads,

I'm currently thinking of starting a thread with the purpose of having general/casual talk about absolutely everything. The main purpose would be to having lighthearted chat with the members around here. It would be fun to know each other better differently. We all know that we have interest in F1, but it would be nice to know more about what other interests we all have and bring everyone closer together. Topics about travelling, hobbies, an occasional troll, etc. are all welcome as long we don't offend each other. My idea to start the thread came from other forums where I have been before and I thought it adds a cool touch to the whole place here. It's also interesting to put certain stuff here that are worthy to talk about, but aren't thread worthy. If we talk about it alot, a mod could still move the posts to a thread of its own.
Last edited by WaikeCU on 07 Apr 2016, 12:57, edited 2 times in total.

WaikeCU

Re: Casual talk thread

Already 4 votes for 'The Splash & Dash'. Gotta admit, it does sound catchy!

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Here's a few more suggestions then..

"Flash your cash" - ( put up your 2 bits worth).

"Pop your cork" - ( let go a spray, like champers on the podium).

"The greasy pole" - (see if anyone can grasp your point)..

"Clear your plugs" -( give it heaps, to burn off any incipient fouling)..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

WaikeCU

After two days of wait, I've decided to name this thread: The Splash & Dash!

Let this thread commence! =D>

WaikeCU

Re: The Splash & Dash

Anyone going on holiday this year? I'm going to Hong Kong in September.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

I'm glad J.A.W.'s thread name suggestion of The Greasy Pole didn't rise to the top of the list.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Anyone going to watch a race this year?

WaikeCU

Fulcrum wrote:Anyone going to watch a race this year?
I was thinking of the Singapore Grand Prix, but I don't think I will. The race weekend is during my holiday in Hong Kong. It would have been better if I went to Singapore first and then continue to Hong Kong. That's not the case right now.

I just keep thinking I've missed my chance when the V10 and V8 era were still alive. I feel the experience is different nowadays. :cry:

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Trust me, it is.

The quieter sound is more palatable to children, but the cars have lost their 'aura'. Some of the support races were louder. Granted that was 2014, and things have improved slightly, but I'd prefer a screaming V10.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

I'm wondering where you guys get your kicks online, when you're not being all technical about F1.

An ex-colleague got me hooked on 9gag for a while, which I've recently stopped going to as it's mostly crap and only occasionally funny, but mostly I don't like being so in tune with today's sad culture. I've started reading Feynman's physics lectures (available free online) and it's interesting and not too complex so far, but I remember picking up the books at varsity and being quite lost, admittedly starting with quantum physics and not working through them in sequence. #-o

But yeah, I'm keen to know what other interesting non-automotive sites might be out there.

Otherwise maybe someone has a good book they can recommend? I read Elon Musk's biography by Ashlee Vance recently which was excellent. And he's been all over the news recently with the Tesla Model 3 preorders shooting through the roof and the SpaceX successful drone ship landing last Friday.

WaikeCU

Fulcrum wrote:Trust me, it is.

The quieter sound is more palatable to children, but the cars have lost their 'aura'. Some of the support races were louder. Granted that was 2014, and things have improved slightly, but I'd prefer a screaming V10.
I fully understand that! If I had to choose now in going to Spa watching F1 or going to TT Assen watching MotoGP, I'd might pick the latter. I think moneywise I think it would be cheaper to watch MotoGP and I would probably be more entertained for the whole afternoon.