Summer Olympics - Kart Racing for Gold

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Chuckjr

Summer Olympics - Kart Racing for Gold

I dunno if this has been proposed here, but since folks in the upper echelon of F1 frequent this site I'd like to propose an idea...summer olympics & kart racing. A match made in heaven.

Folks feel free to add as the thread develops (if it develops) so this could be a feasible proposal that would not be costly to implement. If extreme sports like surfing can get in the Olympics, surely racing qualifies.

Event would be factory set karts. Factory set up and totally equal with each other provided by the host country. Identical karts all lottery drawn by drivers. They keep / repair the kart the whole event. Maybe have the drivers responsible for repairs to show knowledge of the mechanics of the sport as a part of the challenge of the event?

Keeping it karts keeps the cost down, equalizes the karts by removing suspension and sneaky tricks to gain advantage. Same karts for everyone equalizes field so we can see who really is the best.

Multiple races and simply take the top 3-4 drivers to the next meet just like swimming. Quali for each race? That would just add more excitement. Maybe 8 karts per race?

I suggest a track that is designed at each Olympics so they are always different just like a marathon track or cycling. Event could be held during the summer break. Drivers would just show up like all the other drivers. No special treatment.

I think an event like this would be brilliant. We could finally see who really are the best raw, naturally talented drivers as well as guys/gals who never would get a chance to be seen could be truly noticed. Plus the do it yourself mechanical aspect would keep things real.

Imagine the opportunity to race against guys like Alonso, Hamilton, Verstappen, Raikkonen, Vettel, etc, etc...!

Thoughts? Is this a good idea?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Jolle

Re: Summer Olympics - Kart Racing for Gold

To make it even more Olympian, a soapbox challenge down hill, bit like bobsledding, with sharp uncambered corners and a set weight.

High tech isn't a real problem, other sports have that as well, but somehow motorised sports don't "fit" well, so... gravity!

Shrieker

We already know who's the best :lol: :mrgreen:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Chuckjr

Shrieker wrote:We already know who's the best :lol: :mrgreen:
We don't but this would go a long way to helping clear that problem up. I think it's a brilliant idea. It would be a huge hit for both F1 and the Olympics.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Shrieker

I'm just trolling. Yes I think it's a very good idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Sg8it4ZbY

Look at those nutters going round. Someone like Grosjean could kill someone tho. I mean literally kill...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk