The Grand Tour: Clarkson et al are back! (18 Nov)

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
FW17

Re: The Grand Tour: Clarkson et al are back! (18 Nov)

I was hoping that they would stay in the USA

The clash between Clarkson and US would have been fun,starting with the bit about him having to drive a Mustang was hilarious

dans79

basti313 wrote: This is a point which is a bit of a problem since 3 or 4 years now. If they need so much time for scripted people falling from the sky, they lack a bit of situational comedy which comes with the usual car tests or comparisons. But I hope for the next episodes to see more road trips and less snake bites.
Personally, I thought that entire bit, was there way of saying we won't be doing this anymore. It was the part I liked least about top gear.
197 104 103 7

Formula Wrong

I've got mixed feelings about the second episode.

On one hand, it was, in general, funny and entertaining. On the other hand, it wasn't something I'd have expected to see on a car show. Because it didn't have a lot to do with cars. And those parts that were about cars seemed a bit short - especially the self-built Mercedes Le Mans car which got like 2 Minutes (maybe 3? 4?) of screen-time. I'd have loved to see at least some footage of it driving around Johannesburg.

The "special forces training" was fun to watch, but at some parts it was a bit cringy due to (purposefully?) bad acting/effects (e.g. Clarkson shooting the sniper). Sure, Top Gear had many scripted moments as well, but it somehow often managed to seem "natural".

The running joke about killing off celebrities still was sorta funny in this episode, but i can imagine that after a few episodes more it will just get old, boring and annoying unless they find some really really creative and spectacular ways to "kill" them.

But there still were many great moments in this episode - James' "republican" views or his visit at the drift-event, to name a few, or the short clips and pictures they showed of south africa's president, how the local police uses their weapons, that baboons are very dangerous ( :mrgreen: )...

I do like the show very much. Maybe the fact that they didn't entirely focus on cars in this episode actually was a very good idea - it proved that with Richard, James and Jeremy there can be hilarious moments in any situation, even if it's not related to cars. It also helps to prevent The Grand Tour from being nothing more but a copy of the "old" top gear. It is without a doubt similar, but still different. I'm looking forward to what we will see in the next episodes!
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

F1NAC

I really thought that Ben Collins would be new "Stig" not this American lad :/

2nd episode was a bit boring to me. I would really like some car trips like that one in Africa, or Patagonia. But heck it's only 2nd episode. They're still funny as hell :mrgreen:

basti313

Formula Wrong wrote:I've got mixed feelings about the second episode.
Me too. I totally agree with your post.
Formula Wrong wrote: the self-built Mercedes Le Mans car which got like 2 Minutes (maybe 3? 4?) of screen-time. I'd have loved to see at least some footage of it driving around Johannesburg.
Yes. They spend nearly 2 min to shoot Clarcson at the end...
Formula Wrong wrote: The "special forces training" was fun to watch, but at some parts it was a bit cringy due to (purposefully?) bad acting/effects (e.g. Clarkson shooting the sniper). Sure, Top Gear had many scripted moments as well, but it somehow often managed to seem "natural".
All these stupid repetitions...I had the feeling that they needed to save money: Run the same scene 100 of times and no need to film a new scene, which is again expensive.
Formula Wrong wrote: But there still were many great moments in this episode - James' "republican" views or his visit at the drift-event, to name a few, or the short clips and pictures they showed of south africa's president, how the local police uses their weapons, that baboons are very dangerous ( :mrgreen: )...
I liked these very much. That was the old, good TopGear.
I really thought that Ben Collins would be new "Stig" not this American lad :/
Whoever...this fat American is nothing but disgusting. There are so many nice Indy drivers, who would be very entertaining (Montoya, Hunter-Reay) or d'Ambrosio. I can not believe that no one of them is up to this show.
Or is Skinner so cheap, because he never won anything??? Again the money???
Don`t russel the hamster!

dodds_turbo

I also thought that the second episode was a little cringe. However I did laugh at many points during the episode. :lol:

Some points to note:

1. The killing off of celebrities instead of interviewing them is a continued two finger salute to the BBC, who's lawyers have insisted that The Grand Tour cannot interview celebs as it will be 'copying Top Gear'.

2. Similarly the BBC have insisted that The Grand Tour have no 'special' episodes (Africa Special, Arctic Special. etc) and ESPECIALLY no themed shows - i.e. a Christmas Special!

3. The Grand Tour is not allowed a 'mystery' test driver, i.e. a Stig equivalent. :(

4. No handwritten leaderboard for fastest car lap times.

There's probably many more 'rules' the BBC are enforcing to try and drown the Grand Tour. It isn't working though, Jeremy, James and Richard are proving that as a trio they are funny, witty and can put on a show (even if it doesn't necessarily involve cars).

bauc

Guys for me the 2nd episode was supper funny, I laughed to tears on the special forces missions and they had a few clever hits against the BBC as well. Not much to do with cars on ep2 I agree, the show is not perfect yet but was Top Gear perfect all of the times as well? I just think they need time to get the show going and to exploit the new format to its max, I'm just sad that we will not see any special episodes due to the war with BBC any many other things as stated above but I'm sure the best is yet to come.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

rscsr

bauc wrote:Guys for me the 2nd episode was supper funny, I laughed to tears on the special forces missions and they had a few clever hits against the BBC as well. Not much to do with cars on ep2 I agree, the show is not perfect yet but was Top Gear perfect all of the times as well? I just think they need time to get the show going and to exploit the new format to its max, I'm just sad that we will not see any special episodes due to the war with BBC any many other things as stated above but I'm sure the best is yet to come.
For me those long films are to drawn out for me. In the first episode the supercar segment was just boring to me. And in this episode the special forces was to drawn out for me as well. In my opinion there should another 5-10minute segment instead of a part of the long segment.
Regarding the special episodes I thought the producer said in an interview that there will be some special episodes.

RicME85

This is the interview with the producer where he says about the lawyers and what they can do https://youtu.be/W2t00_O3CdQ

DiogoBrand

Jeremy once said something that defines their Top Gear perfectly: While other shows hide failure, they love it, because it's way funnier to see a guy failing miserably than succeeding at everything.
What lacks on TGT is that sort of spontaneous failure, like they used to have when facing those "challenges" with cheap second hand cars. On TGT, it just seems like they implement "artificial" failure, scripted failure, to try and be funny, and a lot of times it just isn't.
I wish they at some point go back to those second hand car challenges that used to make me laugh my pants off.
Last edited by DiogoBrand on 03 Dec 2016, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Fahrenheit

I really enjoyed the first episode (bar the obnoxious American). It felt like Top Gear with a few extra 0's bolted on the end of the budget.

The second, when it was loosely about cars, was alright. The banter is good. The special forces training, however, felt like some dads trying to be YouTubers.

I wonder if the magic about Top Gear was enjoying how they'd ride the limit of what the BBC were comfortable with in terms of content, message, tone in a very, "how did they get away with that?!" way.

On Amazon there's not the same constraints and I think off the leash it's not as effective.

Two episodes in and, if I'm not mistaken, they haven't finished filming so there's opportunity to grow into this new franchise.

Maybe they could 'interview' The American?

ME4ME

After finding the first episode a bit awkward, and the second one boring, i'm glad to say episode 3 & 4 were great!

I just watched the 4th episode and it was hilarious. Also it's clear that budget is no problem, some of the shots are amazing.

bauc

ME4ME wrote:After finding the first episode a bit awkward, and the second one boring, i'm glad to say episode 3 & 4 were great!

I just watched the 4th episode and it was hilarious. Also it's clear that budget is no problem, some of the shots are amazing.
For me, todays episode was the weakest of all 4 till now, but it was still a good one!

Jordan44

bauc wrote:
ME4ME wrote:After finding the first episode a bit awkward, and the second one boring, i'm glad to say episode 3 & 4 were great!

For me, todays episode was the weakest of all 4 till now, but it was still a good one!
Opinions eh. Just watched it and considered it the best we've seen from them so far.

I don't understand how it can be the weakest of all 4 when today was essentially classic Top Gear with a different name? Were you not a fan of the old format?

bauc

J0rd4n wrote:
bauc wrote:

Opinions eh. Just watched it and considered it the best we've seen from them so far.

I don't understand how it can be the weakest of all 4 when today was essentially classic Top Gear with a different name? Were you not a fan of the old format?
I was and I'm a super fan of the old Top Gear and what the boys do now as well, but in this episode I just felt all of the jokes and mishaps were just too scripted and forced for my taste, I love when there is more spontaneous stuff happening like James car falling apart - that for me was the funniest from the hole episode.