is Formula 1 pre race every Sunday morning held a religious service (chapel, mass, etc.)?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
theriusDR3

is Formula 1 pre race every Sunday morning held a religious service (chapel, mass, etc.)?

In other racing series, IndyCar and NASCAR always held the christian service every Sunday morning before race. Sunday is the holy day for the Christians.

6 of 12

Re: is Formula 1 pre race every Sunday morning held a religious service (chapel, mass, etc.)?

Because Formula 1 is predominantly European and Europe seems to be the only continent (maybe also Australia?) to remember that there was a movement called the Enlightenment, the answer is no. There is not really any longing for religion and spirituality in the developed, prosperous, and generally well-educated countries of middle and northern Europe. I know a few religious people in Germany and they are social outcasts because their beliefs and opinions are not compatible with the views of the majority. The examples I have in mind are socially awkward and have psychological issues and are looking for something to hold on to. I feel that, in Germany, to say the least, among people under the age of 40 or so, being religious is excluding onesself from society.

As for religious ceremonies in IndyCar, NASCAR and whatnot I can only say one thing: The Americans...

I genuinely hope I'm not being offensive :!: #-o :wtf:
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

OneAlex

Re: is Formula 1 pre race every Sunday morning held a religious service (chapel, mass, etc.)?

^That's probably a little offensive, but also accurate I'd say. :D

F1 has always been something of a playboy sport with a devil-may-care attitude, I can't imagine many in it are particularly religious or devout (with a few exceptions like Senna), and those who were/are probably just have their own quiet moments of contemplation before racing, particularly as everyone is busy pre-race anyway and trying to sort out their own team stuff/get in the zone.

Plus like the Borg said, the vast majority of crew come from Northern Europe and particularly England, which is one of the most atheistic countries in the world. Whereas the Americans are... American... where atheists are deemed more suspicious than ISIS ("at least they believe in a god").

Then again I could be completely wrong and would be interested to find out if there are any services held!

TAG

There are chick bangin' services the night before though.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

torpor

6 of 12 wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 13:15
Because Formula 1 is predominantly European and Europe seems to be the only continent (maybe also Australia?) to remember that there was a movement called the Enlightenment, the answer is no. There is not really any longing for religion and spirituality in the developed, prosperous, and generally well-educated countries of middle and northern Europe. I know a few religious people in Germany and they are social outcasts because their beliefs and opinions are not compatible with the views of the majority. The examples I have in mind are socially awkward and have psychological issues and are looking for something to hold on to. I feel that, in Germany, to say the least, among people under the age of 40 or so, being religious is excluding onesself from society.

As for religious ceremonies in IndyCar, NASCAR and whatnot I can only say one thing: The Americans...

Your comment is disrespectful, hurtful and also childish.
I don't know where you're from. I'm from Berlin (Germany's most profane city I think) and I know many very admired, cool and sexy people believing in god.

Maybe you are a little insular...

BTW I don't catch the point of this thread.

roon

The last pastor they had was Maldonado, but since then I don't know if anyone has replaced him. There's only one Christian I know of in the whole sport, though. He works for RB. Webber might have been a Muslim, seemed like he would often get called to prayer on track and try to turn his car toward Mecca. Kimi is probably a Buddhist.

ChrisDanger

It's probably best to close this before anyone else gets offended. I mean, there's a good reason religious topics are usually discouraged. Besides, the title doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, and the subsequent post doesn't add very much context for discussion.

pob

There are religious people in f1: a few of the engineers; Hamilton is Catholic and will talk to anyone who will listen about his beliefs; Haryanto is Muslim, and this caused some problems during Ramadan.

Steven
Owner

This topic was moved to off-topic, post rating disabled.
Please keep things factual, and let your beliefs aside to avoid thread locking.

Tim.Wright

Steven wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 22:11
Please keep things factual, and let your beliefs aside...
I thought we were talking about religion?
Not the engineer at Force India

Steven
Owner

Tim.Wright wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 22:41
Steven wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 22:11
Please keep things factual, and let your beliefs aside...
I thought we were talking about religion?
I don't like closing threads just for fun, and I tend to believe that people can behave. I admit that has sometimes proven to be slightly naive.

Anyway, not much to discuss I guess... the main reason for there being a ceremony or not is tradition. Racing gets on after that anyway, so I doubt it matters. In fact, I believe it matters as much as the national hymn, but it's probably just part of the show.

roon

pob wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 20:48
There are religious people in f1: a few of the engineers...
Maybe the ones that design the ballast inserts. Generally the engineers are trying to avoid mass.

Jolle

It is indeed something very American. As mentioned a pre-enlightment thing.

For our American readers: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wuDqEGlKOus

The whole series of "the norden" is a must watch!

J.A.W.

torpor wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 16:45
6 of 12 wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 13:15

Your comment is disrespectful, hurtful and also childish.
I don't know where you're from. I'm from Berlin (Germany's most profane city I think) and I know many very admired, cool and sexy people believing in god.

Maybe you are a little insular...

BTW I don't catch the point of this thread.
This thread is hilarious!
As if "belief", or appeals to a supernatural entity, can beat the mighty secular power of FIA Technical Rules!

As for perceptions that pointing this out amounts to being..
" ...disrespectful, hurtful & childish."

This brings to mind the very overt irony of the..

"Sword Boy!, For that arrogance..."
..scene..
in the classic movie - 'Evil Dead 3, Army of Darkness'..
..which drew the inevitable scientifically valid riposte..

"This is my BOOM-stick!" ..

..too funny indeed..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

torpor

You know what motorsport fans, movie freaks and maybe sometimes religious people have in common?

They are 'socially awkward and have psychological issues', 'not compatible with the views of the majority' and 'excluding themselves from society.';)