Cold Fussion wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:29 pm
I think it boils down to not using the right tool for the job if you're looking to get your sequence as exact as you want. If you really want want that 180 degree shutter (and even then most consumer stills cameras don't have a 1/48th shutter speed, usually only 1/50th) you're going to need a stills camera with a good auto-iso algorithm, or apply some sort of lens blur effect in post to the gopro footage. Some cameras like the Sony rx100 have a built in variable ND filter, though i'm unsure if the camera has an auto-nd mode or if it's only a user adjust. If it's a one off project you could rent one fairly cheaply and tether it to a laptop (though external power for the camera might be an issue).
I guess you are right. Admittedly, the more I see the increased complexity of what I set out to achieve, the more I'm just inclined to do it "right" and use my DSLR for the job. That won't happen though. For one, I wouldn't want to abuse my DSLR to that many thousands of exposures. Second, I'm not even sure the trip will be worthwhile of that kind of effort. I could well end up with 97% of boring endless flat scenery and the remaining 3% interesting things will just zap by in less than 10 seconds upon viewing.
The GoPro is cheap, simple and easy. I have one, it's small so I can effectively pack it for free. I also don't have to worry about power (I can use the cigarette unit for power), not about breaking it, having it stolen. And because it's small and light, it will stay in a very secure and locked position for the entire duration. It's not perfect and I guess I am conceding that the results I will get from it will (probably) be a far cry of what I could achieve when I'd go the extra mile by using my high end equipment.
But just because I'm going to use a 7 year old cheap action-shooter, doesn't mean I can try to get the best results possible - which would be a very close approximation of an 180 shutter angle.
Since it's a timelapse, I think I should get away with it, even if the exposure time isn't nigh on perfect. We'll see though...
@Dans79, Thanks for the tip on filter brand. I already went with a Hoya for the ND32, but more because I already have a ND8 filter by them and have been very pleased with the quality. For the ND1000, I just went with a very cheap one off Amazon...