The Most Beautiful Cars Ever

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
johnny comelately

Re: The Most Beautiful Cars Ever

1968 Bizzarini GT Strada 5300 with Giorgetto Giugiaro body

johnny comelately

Fiat Turbina '54 - Held the record for lowest drag coefficient on an automobile (Cx 0.14) for 30 years

johnny comelately

Sigma Grand Prix '69 - stuck on an island kind of beauty but!: There were many innovations in it, such as a driver survival cell, multi-layer fuel tanks, self-extinguishing plastic fuel-tanks ,
automatic fire extinguisher system, seven-strings safety belt
Was built in cooperation by Pininfarina and Revue Automobile with the support of Ferrari, Fiat and Mercedes.

johnny comelately

Alfa Romeo 2000 Sportiva '54

johnny comelately

From the fire and brimstone class: Fiat SB4 Eldridge Mefistofele '24
The Mephistopheles was created by combining the chassis of the 1908 Fiat SB4 with a 6-cylinder, 21.7 litre Fiat A.12 aeroplane engine, bringing the power to 316 bhp. The chassis was lengthened using structural parts taken from the wreckage of a London bus.
Ernest Eldridge broke the World Land Speed Record in 1924 with the Mephistopheles, by driving at 146.0 mph in Arpajon, France. It was the last world record in the flying kilometer to be achieved on a public road.

dans79

strad wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 00:02
I'd much rather have my GT500 back. Although it would have looked better in black than white with blue stripes.
I would imagine most would have noticed that most all my vehicles are black and chrome.
I did have a 63½ R code Galaxie that was one of the most beautiful Maroons I have ever seen.
How did it handle?

The next car down my list would be a 69 Boss 302, and then 69 Boss 429.

197 104 103 7

johnny comelately

Ferrari FXX K Evo

strad

How did it handle?
I would be the first to admit the GT350 handled better.
Both had a push but the GT500 was worse.
However the good fun was that one a good hard first to second shift it would rip the radio out and throw it in the back seat.
Made a few bucks by sticking a $20 on the dash with a piece of gum and betting that a guy couldn't get to the $20. Each time they would try for it I would hit a shift and throw them back from getting ahold of it. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tommy Cookers

a few pages back there was V12 Delage and some doubted that it was 2litres
it's presumably the special 10.5 litre V12 racer that briefly held in 1925 ? what we now call the LSR
it was in UK vintage racing in the 1960s
(I maybe confused this with a 5 litre Sunbeam derived from their 1920s GP car)

btw the Sunbeam Tiger allowed access to its sparkplugs only by removal of the front wheels
when Chrysler bought the parent company (Rootes Group nothing to do with generic Roots-type blowers)
they were surprised to find they were making cars with Ford engines so stopped (presumably no Chrysler engine fitted)
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 17 Mar 2018, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

johnny comelately

Tommy Cookers wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 13:13
a few pages back there was V12 Delage and some doubted that it was 2litres
it's presumably the special 5 litre V12 racer that attempted what we now call the LSR
it was in UK vintage racing in the 1960s - but rather limited by its 2 wheel braking

btw the Sunbeam Tiger allowed access to its sparkplugs only by removal of the front wheels
when Chrysler bought the parent company (Rootes Group nothing to do with generic Roots-type blowers)
they were surprised to find they were making cars with Ford engines so stopped
That answers the question as the pipes looked big for 165cc pots.

From deep in the memory there was an early Ferrari F1 car and , maybe, a Corvette that had to have a wheel removed to access some of the plugs

johnny comelately

1938 Talbot-Lago T-150C-SS Teardrop Coupe
The sporting Talbot-Lago T-150-C chassis inspired the design of many open roadsters and closed cars, most notably a series of curvaceous custom coupes. Sensational in their heyday, the French-produced Talbot-Lagos remain highly valued today. Streamlined, sleek, and light enough to race competitively, they were called Goutte d’Eau (drop of water), and, in English, they quickly became known as the Teardrop Talbots. Famed Parisian coachbuilders Joseph Figoni and Ovidio Falaschi patented the car’s distinctive aerodynamic shape.

Figoni & Falaschi built twelve “New York-style” Talbot-Lago coupes between 1937 and 1939, so-called because the first was introduced at the 1937 New York Auto Show at the Grand Central Palace. Five more cars, built in a notchback Teardrop style, were named “Jeancart” after a wealthy French patron. It took Figoni & Falaschi craftsmen 2,100 hours to complete a body. No two Teardrop coupes were exactly alike.

Talbot’s president, Antony Lago, offered a top-of-the-line SS (Super Sport) version with independent front suspension. The competition engine, a 4-liter six cylinder topped with a hemi head, could be fitted with three carburetors for 170-brake horsepower. Some cars were equipped with an innovative Wilson pre-selector gearbox, with a fingertip actuated lever that permitted instant shifts without the driver having to take his hand off the steering wheel. In 1938, a racing model T-150C-SS Coupe finished third at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

This car was the first “New York-style” Teardrop coupe. Its first owner was Freddie McEvoy, an Australian member of the 1936 British Olympic bobsled team. A prominent player on the Hollywood scene, McEvoy’s ready access to celebrities made him an ideal concessionaire for luxurious automobiles.

johnny comelately

Another view of the Talbot showing how too much polish can inhibit the view, luckily the reflection shows a, heaven forbid, grid girl type.

johnny comelately

Buick Wildcat 11

johnny comelately

Gullwing America Ferrari F-340 Competizione

johnny comelately