PSA car maintenance.

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
godlameroso

PSA car maintenance.

If you have a car that is 10+ years old, even 7+ I suggest you change your radiator cap. They are usually the first things to go bad in the cooling system. Once the cap goes bad, it leads to other problems, lack of pressure in the hoses means the water pump is not circulating water as it should. Overflow bottles can overflow, and other bad things like overheating. It's a $20 USD part. Buy ONLY OEM radiator caps, it's cheap insurance.
Saishū kōnā

Jolle

Re: PSA car maintenance.

godlameroso wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 17:24
If you have a car that is 10+ years old, even 7+ I suggest you change your radiator cap. They are usually the first things to go bad in the cooling system. Once the cap goes bad, it leads to other problems, lack of pressure in the hoses means the water pump is not circulating water as it should. Overflow bottles can overflow, and other bad things like overheating. It's a $20 USD part. Buy ONLY OEM radiator caps, it's cheap insurance.
Didn't know there were PSA cars in the US :P

but aren't cars with a radiator pressure cap quite old in general? thought the past 20 year or so, its done with a vented cap and an expansion tank?

godlameroso

Jolle wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 17:46
godlameroso wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 17:24
Didn't know there were PSA cars in the US :P

but aren't cars with a radiator pressure cap quite old in general? thought the past 20 year or so, its done with a vented cap and an expansion tank?
Yes, and the venting mechanism in the caps go bad. You can have a bad cap but no obvious symptoms, one quick way is to see if you have pressurized radiator hoses.

Another is to remove the cap(when the car is cold obviously) and shake it, if it rattles a lot it's on its way out. A good one should still rattle but it'll seem much more solid than one on its way out.
Saishū kōnā

Jolle

Just be careful you don’t replace the non-pressure venting cap from the radiator in a pressure cap. Then you’ll overcook the system.

Shrieker

Nice, thanks for the heads up. My 2001 Jetta (@ ~200k kilometers) seems to be missing a little amount of oil every other time (once a month give or take) i go to check it with the dipstick. Could it be related ? I've been adding just a little bit of oil as of late if it seems to be missing.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

hUirEYExbN

Shrieker wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 20:39
Nice, thanks for the heads up. My 2001 Jetta (@ ~200k kilometers) seems to be missing a little amount of oil every other time (once a month give or take) i go to check it with the dipstick. Could it be related ? I've been adding just a little bit of oil as of late if it seems to be missing.
Oil consumption is fairly normal, especially in VAG cars. So long as it isn't excessive then it should be fine. Excessive depends on the vehicle though, no idea what is normal for you :)

Shrieker

I would not say it is excessive, no. The lowest I found it when it was checked unprompted, was %30-35ish on the dipstick. Dad said they found it a lot lower a few months ago tho, when he had left it for some unrelated repairs.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

godlameroso

Shrieker wrote:
That's likely rings increasing blowby. Once a car starts burning oil due to mileage it'll just slowly get worse. She'll keep running as long as you don't let the oil run low. Now, a faulty PCV or blocked PCV hose will increase oil consumption because it won't remove blowby as effectively. It can get bad enough that you can blow out the rear main seal. Rings don't seal as well when you have a lot of pressure in the crank case.
Saishū kōnā

strad

I'd guess guides or seals on the guides. Does VW use umbrella seals?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Shrieker

godlameroso wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 16:34
Shrieker wrote:
That's likely rings increasing blowby. Once a car starts burning oil due to mileage it'll just slowly get worse. She'll keep running as long as you don't let the oil run low. Now, a faulty PCV or blocked PCV hose will increase oil consumption because it won't remove blowby as effectively. It can get bad enough that you can blow out the rear main seal. Rings don't seal as well when you have a lot of pressure in the crank case.
strad wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 21:51
I've been feeling an unnatural amount of vibrations on idle, on a stand still... It's almost as if the front of the car is shaking in fact, rather than vibrating. And an engine sound a bit reminiscent of a diesel engine to accompany it (it's not a diesel engine)... I've been told the oxygen sensor is faulty as well. Been getting raw gasoline smell coming from the exhaust for some time now, which wasn't there a year ago.

SO I guess something's about to go ?
-Atatürk

Big Tea

Shrieker wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 21:59
godlameroso wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 16:34
Shrieker wrote:
strad wrote:
I've been feeling an unnatural amount of vibrations on idle, on a stand still... It's almost as if the front of the car is shaking in fact, rather than vibrating. And an engine sound a bit reminiscent of a diesel engine to accompany it (it's not a diesel engine)... I've been told the oxygen sensor is faulty as well. Been getting raw gasoline smell coming from the exhaust for some time now, which wasn't there a year ago.

SO I guess something's about to go ?
Check your spark plugs are not oiling up, as long as they are OK it should still be reliable as long as you have oil pressure. Check your EGR does not need cleaning. Check for splits in the tube from air filter box to intake.(assume filter is clean) Change the oil filter regularly too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Shrieker

Big Tea wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 22:09
Check your spark plugs are not oiling up, as long as they are OK it should still be reliable as long as you have oil pressure. Check your EGR does not need cleaning. Check for splits in the tube from air filter box to intake.(assume filter is clean) Change the oil filter regularly too.
Thanks a lot. I guess I'll have to take it to the repair shop, once the corona abates a bit... I'm taking notes definitely though.
-Atatürk

godlameroso

Yeah definitely take a look at those plugs, make sure they're good, and use anti seize if you re-use them. Torque them to 30nm, loose plugs can cause all sorts of issues as RBR showed in Imola.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

strad wrote:
With regular oil changes seals almost never go bad, burned valves tend to take out seals, but replacing seals at that point is useless. If your seals are bad your car will smoke under vacuum.
Saishū kōnā

strad

Hold it... IF it has a bad sensor it should be throwing a code.
I definitely agree with pulling the plugs for a look and even a replacement. Also on the EGR and vacuum lines.
So often it is a small simple fix. When was it's last tune-up?
You should have coil on plug so unless it has a failing coil it shouldn't need but just an air filter and plugs to see a noticeable difference. How long since fuel filter was changed?
Proper maintenance goes a long way in keeping them running well. :wink:
Valve seals get cooked and hard and let oil past.
With 200,000 K on the clock it could need all those things all simple and straight forward. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss