Sim Racing

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Best PC F1 sim

GP 4
13%
rFactor
52%
F1 Challenge `99 `02
26%
other?
10%

Total votes: 31

PNSD

Indeed rF is endorsed by BMW, they have it at the GPs on the racing simulators... I remember seeing the screencaptures from the Nurburgring of a F1.06 drving round the German track and no-one knew where they were from until rF announced it not long after. lol.

But yeah, there are a few mods, which are bad, like the few F1-arcady conversions from GP4...

modbaraban

RH1300S wrote:rFactor will give you great physics, graphics and quality tracks.
+ Physics. F1 Challenge 99-02 by ISI has great physics. ISI made some more improvements to the same physics engine for in rFactor.

+ Sounds. No one except ISI themselves (with BMW F1.06 and maybe F1.07 which I don't have) realized the whole potential of the rF engine sound system (big step ahead from F1C). CTDP is a great mod, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as that 'stock' BMW.Sauber.
I expect better sounds in CTDP2006. It needs some work, but the rF system allows things that are just impossible do work out in older sims.

- Graphics. Really weird gfx engine. The image is too blurry (which has to be for far away objects only) and the car models look TALL :shock:

In the menu they're just normal. But when you load the track it's almost like this:

this would be 911 Turbo :lol:

I'm exagerrating of course, but this 'bug' (or is it a feature?) gives some toy-ish impression.

No idea why so. My PC is good. The rpm meter on the screen (dial) is perfectly round, but the cars are TALLer than they should be. Even the wheels look oval (elipse). It's not just for me.

- F1 specific things. Driver hands aren't there (in some mods) or just stick around wheel's position without moving (in other mods). Light at the end of the pits, picrews etc. Those stuff shows that rF isn't F1 sim, but rather a general motorsport sim (all together with off-road racing and stuff).

- Weather. No wet weather.

I'm not moving to rF so far. I just wonder what will come 1st. The reworked version of rF or a completely new and official F1 sim for PC. (remember that Sony's FIA-F1 license ends after 2007)

PNSD

Weather is being worked on ;)

And the thread title is SimRacing, not F1SimRacing...

Why in the pole have we just included a few F1 games and a game meant to simulation a variation of motorsports ?

Also, I suspect ISI are making a HUGE improvment over GTR rain, and F1C rain, with GTR it caused massive slowdowns... and with F1C you could barley run 10laps without the tyres blistering even in the worst conditions.

modbaraban

PNSD wrote:And the thread title is SimRacing, not F1SimRacing...
the original poster, Giblet wrote:As far as realism, I don't need anything else other then GTR2, but I want to jump head first into the most rewarding F1 sim.
PNSD wrote:and with F1C you could barley run 10laps without the tyres blistering even in the worst conditions.
This is a piece of cake to fix for anyone who's familiar with that awesome piece of software developed by Microsoft.... the notepad :roll:

PS: I'm not saying the rain itself (in F1C or elsewhere) is perfect.

regards

PNSD

Maybe so, but im on about the physics that came with the game un-edited.

F1C was meant for a wide audience, how many of them would know which files to edit, which numbers specifically etc.

F1C was great, the car models were amazingly efficient with polys and yet very smooth, the textures were clean, and again smooth, and for a while F1C was the benchmark, but there was a lack of feel. i never had the confidence i was in contact with the road lol. but that was something GP4 did worse!!

CTDP 2006 shouldnt be long away now anyway...

One HUGE fault with rF, the AI is appauling. Same with GTR2, you can be 2seconds a lap slower than the leaders, then as soon as they come upto traffic, whilst they in their 550's are struggling to get past a M3Coup you can be the quickest guy on the track =/

F1C for its time, had great AI, i remember great battles, especially at Suzuka ;)

RH1300S

I'd agree about the AI - same in GTL. The cars just queue up behind each other and you can drive straight past.............race against humans is the answer the that :D

Found these videos - enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihdMhKqtA3I&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxqwmyvx ... ed&search=

m3_lover

Do any of you guys have these on your computers?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/31/vide ... acing-sim/
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

modbaraban

m3_lover wrote:Do any of you guys have these on your computers?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/31/vide ... acing-sim/
My setup is limited to Logitech MOMO Force Feedback wheel with 2 pedals. Gauges would be the last thing I'd spill my cash for...

naknak_56

Dont think there will be another F1 sim on the PC ever, because the rights always go to the highest bidder not the best game maker!

BTW to whoever asked earlier in the thread about how we decide a game is "sim" I consider a game a sim if it is difficult, IMHO a 600-1000+ BHP car would not be easy to drive flat chat round a race track, driven wheels should spin up. Rear should snap round if you are brutal with the power etc etc .

That is why GTL , GTR-2 and RF are not considered good sims by me. :D

BTW I used to race in a league also but alot of people quit when they changed to GTL and GTR-2
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

modbaraban

naknak_56 wrote:Dont think there will be another F1 sim on the PC ever, because the rights always go to the highest bidder not the best game maker!
Unless those 2 cooperaet :wink: like EA and ISI
naknak_56 wrote:BTW to whoever asked earlier in the thread about how we decide a game is "sim" I consider a game a sim if it is difficult, IMHO a 600-1000+ BHP car would not be easy to drive flat chat round a race track, driven wheels should spin up. Rear should snap round if you are brutal with the power etc etc .
I can't agree here.

I think the difference between arcade and sims is the basic aims:

sim: as close as possible to real conditions physics etc.

arcade: fun, easy to succeed in, fascinating etc.

both may get you spinning like mad etc.
Last edited by modbaraban on 31 May 2007, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

PNSD

Pun intended or not ? :P :lol:

naknak_56

Yeah but you cant honestly tell me that a game like GTL is sim then as the physics are pretty pathetic.

But on the flip side i suppose its all down to perception and opinion.
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

dumrick

modbaraban wrote:both may get you spinning like mad etc.
Or not. If a 2007 F1 racing sim makes you spin, it's just because you forgot to turn on the traction control :wink:

I was also one of those converted to the Crammond series, to the point I never could play F1C 99-02, just by losing in comparison with GP4. My change to the ISI side (:!:) was because of some mods for F1C. There are some (many!) lousy mods for rFactor, but the graphical and physics leap done is so huge that I can't even drive F1C mods again... it gives me no feeling at all. Makes all the sense choosing carefully the mods you play, though - e.g. the M3GTR and DBR9 mods lasted for a lap on my PC, their physics being lousy.

Spyker MF1

Must admit I have only played demos of GTR,GTL and GTR2 and I did find GTR the most difficult and beleiveable.

I found that in GTR at Spa the Lister was very tail happy and I found it difficult to set a consistenly resonable time.

I found in GTL the cars looked and felt like a plate of jelly while cornering but I would still get giant slides through the corner and hold it.

I only had a few goes on GTR2 and found that in a 15 or so lap race at Barcalona I was lapping the whole field.

My favourite is still GP4. Oh and GP500 thats a cool game and also very hard especially when you try the braking braking points from GP4 and you realise you should of broke 200m back :lol:
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

Giblet

Actually, I was asking about F1SimRacing, despite my grossly inadequate subject header (sigh).

Thanks to all aswering the questions in my post as opposed to the semantics of posting in general (sigh).

I snabbed rFactor and am tweaking my controls to get a good feel on my Xbox gamepad until I get a good wheel.

Looks like the CDTP mod is the one to get form all your posts.