Sim Racing

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Best PC F1 sim

GP 4
13%
rFactor
52%
F1 Challenge `99 `02
26%
other?
10%

Total votes: 31

Ciro Pabón

Yes, I'm going with Racer Free Simulator. Thanks for the post in RSC, I have an account there I haven't used in months.

I'm still wet behind my ears. Any tutorial or little help is welcome. I haven't been able to import a simple DFO file to Zmodeler: all I see is a blank screen, I imagine the track is somewhere around, but I don't know yet how to zoom to the extent of the track.

Besides, I'm trying to do too much: use an original design sent by the Great Manchild (it's crazy and corny at the same time, believe me), trying to draw what the client wants, inventing a way to allow overtaking in curves, :roll: blending several "great curves" in the history of racing into the design (and learning what makes them great), learning what the FIA specificatios for CAD drawings are (Appendix O of regulations, I think, that I already have studied) and making a track usable by lesser series.

I think I'm going nowhere without a little help from my friends. So, thanks for this thread, which I haven't read until today. :)
Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

Well, I wont vote cause I haven´t tested all of them but:

1) the best sim ever was GP2 (now its like abandanware, but I call it "the best ever" because if you mind that it was released in 1996, it was advanced for the time and I played almost till year 2000, very easy to modify)

Then GP3 came and it was a total crap.

Then GP4 was better, but still had the GP problem: front wing angle increase has no drag increase and car balance is very easy to reach modifying suspension (and diff ) and brake balance.

So, basically in GP4 you could run in a track like Indy with good grip and top speeds of 340KPH while computer rival cars tops 310KPH, than means 2 secs per lap. Thats too boring. I know you can modify the game but the phisics engine is not too realistic cause of that.

NOTE: My old PC barely stands GP3, I played GP4 in a friends house and got bored in a couple of weeks
My next step is to buy a new PC (for some FEA programs I need) and take the chance to run rFactor or similar sims.

ADVICE: Ciro, dowload GP2 (only 50mb aprox.) car and track editor utility -nowdays is hard to find them, try here http://www.grandprix2.de/ and track editor tutorial: http://www.waa63.ch/racesim/TEIC/index.html
and dowload these tracks:
- bern-grauholz 1999
- Bogota, Colombia (I dont know it, just check it)
- Lake Joutjarvi - Finland (fictional track, some good curves)
- St Senoux - France (fictional track, good curves-countercurves combos)
- Cadwell Park - GB (also called mini-nurburgring)
- StuwLake - Netherlands (fictional track, a real challenge to drive)
- TunnelTrack - Netherlands (fictional track, a real challenge to drive too)
- Eagles Nest - USA (fictional track, look at last curve)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Tom

Wow Ciro, I didn't realise you could actually make maps for CMR2. Good luck.

On a similar note, will GP2 work on Vista can anyone confirm? I'm considering getting a cheap version and playing it across the uni accomadation network. We all have XPs or Vista. If not GP2 can you recommend a suitable alternative that allows us to create our own cars/tracks and get some from the net?? I have CMR2 but everyones sick of me beating them. We need a level playing field.

Sorry I can't be of any help Ciro, I feel like I'm hijacking your thread. This really isn't my field.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ciro Pabón

I cannot Tom, all I can is convert them from CMR2 format to any of the other formats mentioned in other thread. All you need is Zmodeler to import/export the file.

Colin McRae Rally 2 is definitely a good simulator, on thread, and a very scottish one... Sad Mr. McRae is not among us any more, so I don't see a chance for CMR3 on the market soon. And this is not "my thread", is Giblet's, with a strong input from Modbaraban. I'm the one hijacking it for my devious purposes, mwahahahaha...

Thanks, Belatti, nice tracks.
Ciro

checkered

The GP2 really was

a breath of fresh air at its time. I can remember doing the mods to keep it up to date for a couple of seasons or so, driving "realistic" races before F1 weekends to really get the sense of the tracks and so on. Why I didn't move on to other forms of sim racing, I don't know. I don't like half measures so any effort in that direction would claim significant resources. The comparison chart Ciro posted was interesting indeed; and I've kept a private sim links list going anyhow.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Ciro Pabón wrote:IColin McRae Rally 2 is definitely a good simulator, on thread, and a very scottish one... Sad Mr. McRae is not among us any more, so I don't see a chance for CMR3 on the market soon.
I'm confused a bit here...

wasn't there CMR3, 4, 2005 and the recent Colin McRae DIRT after that?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Correct mod, and I enjoy CMR3.
I've been an avid sim racer since they came out, in fact I own "Indianapolis 500" by Papy, the first true sim. Back in those days (1989) they ran in DOS. I've flat out worn out two wheel/ pedals sets, thousands and thousands of laps in about every format. F1, NASCAR, Indycar, WOO, CMR.
From my experience, the games that endure have to be capable of mods, carsets, and tracks. And among that group, Rfactor stands very strong. Purchase the game, and you wind up with a sim that supports an enviable number of tracks and car types.

modbaraban
modbaraban

DaveKillens wrote:Correct mod, and I enjoy CMR3.
Oh, i've just found my CMR 2005 CDs. I used to be good at it (even on keyboard) though I usually show lack of ability handling the big slides :oops:

PS: I've heard many times that Richard Burns Rally is "far better than CMR" or "simply the best ever rally sim fullstop."
Last edited by modbaraban on 07 Nov 2007, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Well if anyone here would like to take me on at CMR2 I'd love a challenge.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Giblet
Giblet

I guess since I started this thread I'd chime in.

I spent quite a bit of time in F1C and rFactor, and found rFactor to be the more rewarding sim.

I like the CTCP mod (CTDP? CTTP? Can't remember) :? for apparent realism and a relatively steep learning curve, and this is coming from a long time GP2 player and roommate beater in all racing games.

F1C I was able to hop in and do relatively well, and I doubt this to be true of a real F1 car, 'vast' sim experience notwithstanding.

The difference between driving a Minardi (no fun) and a Renault (party on Garth) is night and day.

Carlos
Carlos

I remember a thread in which I doubted the possibility of driver blackout in the days of wing cars, having read through this paper I can see I was quite wrong. The above math is well above my ability on my best day, it's from "High Acceleration and the Human Body by Mark Voshell."

http://csel.eng.ohio-state.edu/voshell/gforce.pdf
Last edited by Carlos on 15 Nov 2007, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

I just got F1 Championship Season 2000 off ebay for peanuts, but it won't work on my vista laptop because of a 'Video Configuration Error'

Does anyone know if it can be cured and how?

TenTenths
TenTenths

I just recently purchased rfactor and I noticed that I do not have all the cars and tracks. How do you get a Ferrari to drive on the Nordschleife, and where are all of the other grandprix tracks?

dumrick
dumrick

TenTenths wrote:I just recently purchased rfactor and I noticed that I do not have all the cars and tracks. How do you get a Ferrari to drive on the Nordschleife, and where are all of the other grandprix tracks?
rFactor is a moddable sim, made for the modding community. Therefore, you must chose the mods you're most interested in. The place to start is http://www.rfactorcentral.com, where they are organized and available for download.

Since the mods are made by non-profit modding teams, take some attention, because there are mods with all different levels of quality, from very bad to others that, in my opinion, are far better than commercial sims, the benefit of having highly talented people working with passion, without time constraints and profit goals. You better check the ratings and comments for each mod, as well as taking a peek at the Mod Of The Year award winners. Now, just have fun driving!

Ciro Pabón

Tom wrote:I just got F1 Championship Season 2000 off ebay for peanuts, but it won't work on my vista laptop because of a 'Video Configuration Error'

Does anyone know if it can be cured and how?
Sometimes it can. Just look around, Tom, google for the specific error. Copy and paste on Google the text of the error you're receiving. Put the text of your error between quotes, so Google will find the exact error message.

Sometimes you have to update your graphic card drivers.

By chance (that's why I'm posting) I had today a video configuration problem installing an old game (Age of Mithology). For ten minutes I thought it was impossible to fix.

Then I googled for the error and the first 5 or 10 sites I found said I had to buy a new card or just gave general and not useful advice. Then, on the 11th (or so) site I discovered that all I had to do was to edit the standard graphic card file, following the instructions given there. It has worked like charm the whole day.

About your problem, following my own instructions, all I found was this: http://www.f1gamers.com/f1/bb/?a=reply&t=12639&d=0

It seems to be a relatively old game. If you were using XP, you could try to right-clic on the program, or on the access to the program, then click on the tab "Compatibility" and finally click on "Compatibility mode" to simulate Windows 2000 or Windows 98. This works with some old games (I mean, games written before XP appeared). I imagine Vista MUST have a similar compatibility tab when you right clic on the program or in its link.
Ciro