Weight in a go kart

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
mep

Re: Weight in a go kart

Thanks Ciro for your post about the setup. =D>
Now are some things a bit clearer for me.

I don't know where djones is driving cart but I can only go to the
local track, pay ca. 1€ per minute and can drive a few minutes.
So I am not able to work on the cart or change setup.

But I think the carts are set up for a average person who weights around 80kg or more.
So a ligther person could suffer from a cart with a bad setup.
By the way I also weight only 60kg.

Belatti

Ciro Pabón wrote: I disagree respectfully with the idea of "leaving caster alone". When you drive in the rain, the tyres will not produce enough grip to lift the rear inner wheel: you HAVE to graduate caster or KPI.
Totally right Ciro, I was referring to the dry, wet is completely another world. Also my advice pontined to the fact that kart newbies should start with easier "to feel" changes:
This doesn´t mean that you should´t change it, but in a non experienced case I would start experimenting with toe changes.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti

mep wrote:Thanks Ciro for your post about the setup.
Now are some things a bit clearer for me.
I second that!

Now that I have the little baby (1999 kartmini/parilla 125cc) in my garage I am starting to see and touch all Ciro said and all I have read before.

I´m eager to go to the track! \:D/ But before I´m making sure my kart would last there and I won´t waste USD40 in track rent + fuel +time, as the kid was more than 1 year getting rusty in a coutry storehouse.

I dismantled it (except the engine that is in running conditions)

My first steps were:
1. Dismantled rear axe, changed the 3 roll bearings
2. Dismantled front axe, changed the 4 roll bearings
3. Cleaned and lubricated rear crown (or gear? :? )
4. Cleaned brake disc, change pads and brake fluid.
5. Brand new coil
6. Full carburator cleaning with new joints, filter and diaphragm
7. New tires
8. New ball and socket joint for steering bar
9. Full chasis cleaning

The thing is expensive :( but I´ll enjoy it! The good thing is the old chasis was not raced too much and the tubes are still round in the downside \:D/

If someone wish I could post some pics (I´m documenting all of my labour) and how I will setup the kart. But laptimes will be secret at first :oops:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna