F1 Computer Photo Graphics and Illustration

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Giblet

Re: F1 Computer Photo Graphics and Illustration

Can't find the term, but i remembered the reason.

If you take a picture of something, it is in 3d, and some things in the photo will be out of focus more than others.

Since this 3d data is not carried over in the picture, the Gaussian blur is blurring a flat image, and this is why it can not be properly faked with just filters and post processing.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

jon-mullen

Depth of field?
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Giblet

jon-mullen wrote:Depth of field?
Depth of Field is about how far away something is to be in focus I think. The visual effect of this has a name of it's own though.

I walk by a camera store on my way home from work. I will try to remember to ask on my way by.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

machin

"Depth of field" is the range of distances which appear to be in focus in a picture.

For example you've probably seen photos of flowers/insects etc where the subject is in focus and everything else (even things that are quite close to the subject) is out of focus. This means the photo has a low depth of field.

Other photos appear to be completely in focus... from the foreground, right through to hills in the background. In this case the depth of field is said to be large.

it is possible to increase the depth of field on a good camera by reducing the aperture (effectively a hole in front of the film/sensor which limits the amount of light falling on the film), although you will need to increase the length of exposure to ensure the photo comes out properly (otherwise decreasing the aperture would also make the photo darker). Increasing the exposure also means that its more difficult to take "sharp" photos of moving objects, due to motion blur....

The reverse is true if you want to decrease the depth of field -increase the aperture and reduce the exposure. Lenses have restricted sizes of aperture which they can provide. For large apertures you need to have a large lens.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Carlos

Hmmm - Just one more guess. It might be perspective. An objects distance reduces size, although everything can stay in focus (or not) and it affects our perception of 3D, ie: it can vary from shallow to deep to natural perspective.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(graphical)

Carlos

My favourite engine, the 3L Repco Brabham V8, the early single overhead cam version.

gridwalker

I've already posted this in another thread, but here we go :

All photos in this composition were taken by myself between 2005 and 2007 ...

For a larger version, see here : http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1045950/Medi ... Mosaic.jpg

For a massive (188mb) version, download here : http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1045950/Larg ... Mosaic.png
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

PlatinumZealot

I think your filter needs somthing to make the images more "grabbing." The effect is nice but something is missing IMO. They look bland near the edges or needs some more depth :? ... I can't quite nail it..

The best way I can explain is that the pictures look like one of those Cave paintings made by ancient humans. Then again maybe it looks better with more natural subjects.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jon-mullen

Out of curiosity, does anyone here use and actually like GIMP?

I find it really ham-fisted compared to Photoshop.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Pandamasque

it's time for a new one

Carlos

Lancia D50

donskar

D50 -- one of the great ones.

Very nice.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

tomislavp4

Well, if you´re on linux most of your time Gimp is pretty much your only choise for such a work. I use it a lot since I need it for stuff at school.

It takes some time to get used to if you´re used to photoshop but it´s a very capable software, not as capable as photoshop though. It lacks some of the most advanced features of PS but I don´t really no how to use them nor need them so Gimp works great for me :wink:

Roc
Roc

Lots of nice images here but why haven't anybody posted anything new for almost a year?

Regards
Rocambole

Roc
Roc

The technique used by Carlos looks very familiar. Just wonder which AOP he has used on his last painting.