Qualifications?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
domdogger

Qualifications?

hello could anyone advise me what qualifications/degree i would need to be a technician for a formula one team?

regards dominic

Giblet

Re: Qualifications?

Maybe try researching names of technicians in the field you want (engine, aero, broom) and look at their CV / Resume and see how they became what they are.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

tok-tokkie

Rory Burne was (in my opinion) the decisive factor in Ferrari's success. Strangely he is not an Engineer, he qualified in Chemistry. However he was involved in amateur racing car development so had a demonstrable track record.

domdogger

thanks for the tips, but would aerospace materials be any good?

Scotracer

Your experience is just as important as your qualifications. Any engineering degree can't hurt!
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Giblet

domdogger wrote:thanks for the tips, but would aerospace materials be any good?
F1 has always been a little ahead of aerospace when it comes to quickly and widely adopting materials. But the push over the last couple of years has been to move away from expensive exotic materials, that aren't already there.

Exotic materials research might produce some great materials that would be ideal for F1, but the rules may not allow them in the future, or right now, to avoid spiralling costs.

The future of materials, in my opinion, and from trends I have seen lately, meant that Rapid Prototyping systems printing out finished parts that can be used on race cars already exist. But if the same part can be made out of a little carbon fibre and resin, some sanding, paint etc, will it be adopted by teams any time soon?

But you did ask about technician. A technician is a narrowly focused person who is very skilled at one system or part. A brake technician for example might want to know about exotic materials, but would need to know very little about the engine in relation to the brakes.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute