Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Paul Riccard straight supposed to be perfect for testing the Spec 2 Mercedes engine. Hoping for domination.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Gothrek

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
16 Jun 2018, 14:03
Paul Riccard straight supposed to be perfect for testing the Spec 2 Mercedes engine. Hoping for domination.
How would domination be good? After 4 years you need more?

MMMMMMMM

Well they placed the bloody chicane in the middle of the Mistral straight...otherwise, yeah it was supposed to be perfect for Mercedes power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-v9OKpm2t0

PlatinumZealot

Gothrek wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2018, 08:33
Yes. Is addictive. Ask the schumacher /ferrari fans! :mrgreen:
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

roon

Some fans think they are part of the team they are watching.

Mr.G

19 Jun 2018, 12:57
Yes. Is addictive. Ask the schumacher /ferrari fans! :mrgreen:
He's true (but it count's only if it's your team)... :mrgreen:
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

djones

Rumors from one of the Italian media that PU2 will not be ready.

I will be taking that as complete lies. But if true, it will be interesting to see if they run PU1 for 8 races, or add another fresh spec 1.

Big Mangalhit

djones wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2018, 10:16

I will be taking that as complete lies. But if true, it will be interesting to see if they run PU1 for 8 races, or add another fresh spec 1.
If true I hope they use another spec 1. If they are able to run 8 races with only one PU for every session I think FIA will mandate 2PU for next year #-o

Just_a_fan

If true, it hands the race Vettel...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bill shoe

Doesn't hand the race to Vettel. Probably means Merc runs a new spec-1 engine for a couple races, then takes a 10-place grid penalty when the spec-2 is ready for release. I still think Merc is stone-reliable and conservative with their power units. If it plays out exactly like I speculate with Merc then I still think Vettel will end up taking more powertrain penalties by end of year.

If Merc knows the replacement spec-1 engine only needs to last for ~ two races then they can run it harder, it sort-of becomes a short-duration spec-2 for purposes of power output.

djones

That is not how they work though.

The sensible thing would have been to run a PU hard for only 5 races anyway and take the penalties.

For marketing reasons though Mercedes do not want to be seen as unreliable, so will drag this out and sacrifice performance.

Big Mangalhit

20 Jun 2018, 16:11
That is not how they work though.

The sensible thing would have been to run a PU hard for only 5 races anyway and take the penalties.

For marketing reasons though Mercedes do not want to be seen as unreliable, so will drag this out and sacrifice performance.
for marketing reasons they want to win above all.

Just_a_fan

bill shoe wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2018, 14:24
Doesn't hand the race to Vettel. Probably means Merc runs a new spec-1 engine for a couple races, then takes a 10-place grid penalty when the spec-2 is ready for release. I still think Merc is stone-reliable and conservative with their power units. If it plays out exactly like I speculate with Merc then I still think Vettel will end up taking more powertrain penalties by end of year.

If Merc knows the replacement spec-1 engine only needs to last for ~ two races then they can run it harder, it sort-of becomes a short-duration spec-2 for purposes of power output.
If a new Spec-1 engine is now less powerful than the Ferrari Spec-2 engine, then running a new Spec-1 will put them at a disadvantage. That helps Ferrari, and thus Vettel. Doing so for a number of races will continue to hand an advantage to Ferrari (and RedBull, of course).

Even assuming a new Spec-1 equipped Hamilton is able to finish second in each of those races, he is still handing a healthy points lead to his biggest rival. As others are likely to be in the mix too (both RedBull drivers for a start), a "finishing second will do for now" strategy is liable to fail, leading to a bigger points lead for Vettel. A points lead that becomes increasingly difficult to overcome as the season progresses.

(For those who dislike the focus on Vettel/Hamilton, yes, I know the season is about more than Vettel and Hamilton, but really they are currently the two most likely to take the title.)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2018, 19:18
bill shoe wrote: ↑
20 Jun 2018, 14:24

If a new Spec-1 engine is now less powerful than the Ferrari Spec-2 engine, then running a new Spec-1 will put them at a disadvantage. That helps Ferrari, and thus Vettel. Doing so for a number of races will continue to hand an advantage to Ferrari (and RedBull, of course).

Even assuming a new Spec-1 equipped Hamilton is able to finish second in each of those races, he is still handing a healthy points lead to his biggest rival. As others are likely to be in the mix too (both RedBull drivers for a start), a "finishing second will do for now" strategy is liable to fail, leading to a bigger points lead for Vettel. A points lead that becomes increasingly difficult to overcome as the season progresses.

(For those who dislike the focus on Vettel/Hamilton, yes, I know the season is about more than Vettel and Hamilton, but really they are currently the two most likely to take the title.)
Don't forget, what we are considering a spec 1 engine is the spec1 optimised for 6 races. A spec 1 that only has to last 3 races, and possibly some FP sessions, may be a different prospect all together. Longer 'party mode', use all the rev range etc.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

siskue2005

Could you post the source of this claim? i cant find it anywhere

edit: https://www.motorsportitalia.net/merced ... castellet/
go the link, this is just rumors....there is no quote or source from them

also AMus are claiming Mercedes will be bring the upgrade to France
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 2018-f1%2F