Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PowerandtheGlory

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Jambier wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 20:01
Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:16
Speaking of party mode, have Renault made any remarks on that? Are they expected to be competitive in that area as well?
No words about it, but I think they always had a qualy mode, as everyone.
Sainz said during testing that there are 4 tenth between race and qualy mode. Not sure how accurate this is...

dfegan358 wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:36
Q3 In melbourne will reveal all regarding party modes.

I hope to see the engines converge in performance to aid a close competitive championship and offer more drivers the chance to win.

I fear it will be party modes of Ferrari and Mercedes will again be clearly superior hopefully Renault and Honda have closed the gap though.
Difficult to compare. Maybe a Haas / Renault comparison in Q3 can be made if both team are in Q3 and close on performance.

Regarding party mode don't forget that in 2019 oil burning will not be possible (second oil tank must be empty in qualy).
So Mercedes and Ferrari are losing performance here.

I think in qualy like in race, all engines will be much closer than before.

I think Andrew Benson BBC reported from an internal source that the figures were 27KW race trim and 46KW for Quali modes. Before the bandwagon jump on me, i know we've heard promises before... So remaining hopeful - I think Race trim the car should go well, and if they can quali better than the HAAS and TR cars and be there or there abouts with RB then they should go well in clean air...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Blackout

Not exactly. The correct quote:
The grapevine suggests Renault have found 35kw (46bhp) gain in qualifying trim and 20kw (27bhp) in the race.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47210981

epo
epo

Blackout wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 20:38
The grapevine suggests Renault have found 35kw (46bhp) gain in qualifying trim and 20kw (27bhp) in the race.
So nothing special, especially now when your allowed to use more fuel.

PhillipM

There's no change to fuel flow rate. #-o

PowerandtheGlory

Blackout wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 20:38
Thanks, i always hate teams when they use KW's... makes the car sound like its a Kettle! :D
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Sieper

So what were those smoke pufs both Ric and Hulk showed in the fast laps, qualy mode?

Neno

Same poufs Ferrari did all this years. Dont worry about it. Nothing to see there.

Sieper

I am not worried, they weren’t having problems, I am curious as to If they indeed have a more powerfull engine now or that this might have even been a first test of a party mode.

Bandit1216

No data. But looking at onboards it's within 5 kp/h between all 4 pu's.

Ver Fp2 314
Ham FP2 313
Ric Fp2 315
Lec Fp2 310
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

PowerandtheGlory

Bandit1216 wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 16:24
No data. But looking at onboards it's within 5 kp/h between all 4 pu's.

Ver Fp2 314
Ham FP2 313
Ric Fp2 315
Lec Fp2 310
Thanks for the post. =D>

hollus

Just a gentle reminder that these PU threads are to discuss, mostly, the hardware (but also control software) of the PUs.
Please, do not post top speeds unless a very direct link to PU hardware can be made. Top speeds are anyways more dependent on aero than on PU output.
Feel free to use the team threads, race threads or, even better, dedicated threads, for performance comparison between PUs.
Thank you for the understanding.
Rivals, not enemies.

lio007

Any guesses what the (supposed) K-failure on SAI's car means for the four Renault-powered cars?
A general reliability concern or just bad luck in Carlos' case?

Bill

The used 5 pu during winter testing, it was never really a vote of confidence on their part that extra horsepower comes with reliability issues

Maplesoup

lio007 wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 13:34
Any guesses what the (supposed) K-failure on SAI's car means for the four Renault-powered cars?
A general reliability concern or just bad luck in Carlos' case?
I think they said they retired Riccardo's car for the same reason but as a precaution. Renault really aren't having much luck with the mgu k over the past few years. McLaren said they didn't even get a warning that there was an issue it just suddenly failed.

Blackout

RIC DNF is because of the damaged bodywork.

The super-dyno is only operational since mid February so it came a bit too late for the new PU. So the spec b and the following specs should be the first PUs to really benefit from it.

Regarding power gains, all the Renault-powered cars have interestingly gained 10-11km/h here compared to 2018 qualy. (while STR gains 7-8kmh and RB 5-6) But Hulk had an electric problem in Q2 (a chassis one according to Permane)

Regarding winter testing, Mclaren has probably used two engines. So the first one has probably ran atleast the distance of 5 Spanish gp races and the second 8 races.*
The first Renault engine should have done around 5 races while the two others 9,5 races together (but in which ratio?)...
Some of those engines were experimental.
*the first one ran for the first two days, as planned.
And AFAIR Renault did a similar thing in 2016 and one of the PU covered the distance of 8 races (not gps)
And I dont think it's necessary to do 7 grand prix with a PU if the track/dyno/super-dyno datas are reliable.
The super-dyno is very new so they probably built special PUs with special features and extra sensors to work on the calibration and the correlation.
In 2016 too Renault had to work with new dynos to them; the Illmor ones.