Fuel comparison- road legal formula vs f1 formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mrbean

Fuel comparison- road legal formula vs f1 formula

Hi !

Currently, I'm doing my homework. Unfortunately, it's Sunday afternoon and all libraries are closed and I failed to find vital informations on the Inernet concerning my project, so I think that this forum is my last resort ;) Hopefuly, you will be able to help me out with this ;)

Internet resources available in my native language are quite poor. I've read few artictles on this website but it's still not enough. I'm looking mainly for very precise data concerning fuel composition, preferably with comparison of normal fuel and one's used in Formula 1 nowadays.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/19 Already found this, but it's too snippy for me.

I aware that among all users there are bunch of real geeks who are in possesion of some interesting data which would be very helpful for me.

If anybody has any sort of materials concerning this "case", please just share it with me.

I'm looking mainly for informations concerning fuel composition and production proccess.
I would like to now, what it's really made off ;)

Cheers mr bean

Lycoming

Re: Fuel comparison- road legal formula vs f1 formula

I suspect that article is as much detail as you'll get. I bet the exact compositions will be a closely guarded secret.

bigpat

Contact a "racing" fuel supplier!

They will be more helpful than you think! I know in Australia you can buy ELF Le Mans spec fuel, and something close to F1 fuel from a few years back. I know the rules say the fuel must be available from 100 bowsers worldwide, but all the teams get their fuel flown it especially.

How different is the fuel?

1. You can generally handle the smell of roadside premium fuel. F1 fuel is that aromatic, that you get high as a kite, so to speak......

2. The exhaust odour of F1 fuel is a lot more aromatic as well, almost 'sweet'.

3. Roadside fuel here, is $1.55 per litre. F1 spec fuel sells for $6.50 - $8.00 per Litre. Now you tell me how different they are...

xpensive

A good beginning is to get fundanentals straight, one liter of gasoline holds 34 MJ of energy, an F1 car typically consumes 3 - 4liters per 100 kilometers, go figure.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

I am not gonna go down this road again,,,,Suffice to say that there are those that honestly believe F1 gasoline is as advertised,,,Pump gasoline. Right! And I have a bridge for sale and I know Santa personally and I'm off to hang with Elvis. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive

strad wrote:I am not gonna go down this road again,,,,Suffice to say that there are those that honestly believe F1 gasoline is as advertised,,,Pump gasoline. Right! And I have a bridge for sale and I know Santa personally and I'm off to hang with Elvis. :wink:
While this forum has a strict don't drink and post policy.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

hardingfv32

The rules seems to clearly define all the compounds I would like to manipulate.

Brian

spacer

As far as I know F1 fuel is highly oxygenated.

mep

bigpat wrote:3. Roadside fuel here, is $1.55 per litre. F1 spec fuel sells for $6.50 - $8.00 per Litre. Now you tell me how different they are...
Seriously why should somebody buy fuel that is 5 times more expensive?
It is clearly not worth it. Even the regular price of 1.55 is prolly already overprised.

Just_a_fan

xpensive wrote:A good beginning is to get fundanentals straight, one liter of gasoline holds 34 MJ of energy, an F1 car typically consumes 3 - 4liters per 100 kilometers, go figure.
Ummm, more like 75litres / 100km (about 4mpg)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hardingfv32

spacer wrote:As far as I know F1 fuel is highly oxygenated.
Not according to the rules.

Brian

hardingfv32

mep wrote:Seriously why should somebody buy fuel that is 5 times more expensive?
The specifications numbers in the rules are very similar to pump street fuel. For the F1 fuel you are paying to have every performance improving spec right at the legal limit at ALL times. These are very small production volumes requiring the best components. The is not a normal production run for the fuel manufactures.

Brian

strad

As far as I know F1 fuel is highly oxygenated.
In spite of what some think...Yes it is.
I have spoken with racing fuel suppliers and I see the results with my own eyes. It contains oxygenating compounds.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

Last edited by raymondu999 on 02 Apr 2012, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

Another good start would be looking at the technical regulations. They have two or three pages now how the fuel must be composed and what is not supposed to be in it.

The main point in the regulation is the "footprint" rule. The take gas chromatography shots of the fuel samples before the season and at each event. If the footprint of those shots do not agree the competitor gets disqualified. You cannot even run the fuel that is legal for another competitor if you have managed to loose your fuel in transit for instance. That is certainly not the case for road car fuel.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)