A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive

Re: A shameless thread for the enginephiles

Three home-made italian F1 engines, three generations so to speak!

1972 Tecno 3.0 flat 12

1985 Motori Moderni 1.5 V6 turbo

1990 Life Racing 3.5 W12

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wuzak

Jaguar XK

Ford Cosworth GAA

And somebody else's thread

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/ ... 239/page1/

wuzak

Jaguar XJ13 V12

wuzak

The engine chosen for the Jaguar CX75 prototype was a turbo 4 banger:

http://autosaddict.com/2013-jaguar-c-x7 ... ept-engine

Not quite as exciting as the concept car's twin turbines

tim|away

1966 Ferrari

1968 Matra

Ferrari 312 - 1969 Engine, referred to as "bundle of snakes". I guess you can imagine why.

flynfrog

From the flynfrog stable.

First up

A trx 250R engine. After market cylinder casting power valve off a snowmobile custom machining to fit the sleeve into the cases ends up with a 350CC engine 15:1 compression pushing 78hp considering stock was around 40 not a bad power gain. To make the rest of the engine take the power clutch is upgraded to an 8 plate. Second gear is custom heat treated, shift star shaved to make full power shifting easier.

Next up is a chevy lq4 6.0 L out of a van. Swapped the intake and cam adding a turbo should be pushing 550-600 hp on pump gas hoping for more out corn fuel garbage. Shoving into a BMW wagon

next in line is a 1963 430 MEL. Pretty innovative for its day. The heads are decked on and angle to allow for the combustion chamber to be built into the piston.
Last in line an L640 Dt rocket engine this was to propel my rocket over 20K ft. Scrubbed the flight this year due to electrical issues. But hope for better luck next year. Total rocket weight on pad is 9 pounds total at burnout is 2.5 you do the math.

bonus pic of my pipe collection

Last edited by flynfrog on 09 Nov 2013, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.

Lycoming

The (in)famous Western Washington V8

marcush.

and now some lesser knowns, I had the luck to actually get to know Mr.Fath in his later years ,still working on the boxer engine and on Kawasaki Superbike engines ..

marcush.

the 4 cylinder inline was actually direct injection.....oh boy...what a sound..from500cc!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32WCLqDuitU

Mr Fath had his engine dyno hidden deep in the forest for good reason...

wuzak

Rolls-Royce Crecy - sleeve valve 2 stroke V12

An illustration of the sleeve mechanism

Note that the ports in the sleeve are for intake only - the exhaust leaves from the upper cylinder ports when the top of the sleeve uncovers them.

The Crecy used the supercharger to scavenge exhaust gases as well as compress the combustion air. Fuel was direct injected into the cylinders.

The Crecy was said to be loud. When under test during the war it was said to have disturbed people in the next village.

xpensive

John Barnard's masterpiece, the ultra-compact TAG V6 turbo, note the short route from turbo compressor to the plenum with the "made by Porsche" tag. Such a shame that we won't see anything like this next year, just castrated economy motors.

Later on, after the 1984 MP4-2 above, they needed bigger turbos for more boost;

marcush.

amazingly -a distributer to be found at the end of the head ...Porsche is known for their rather conservative approach .. :roll: :roll:

xpensive

But how could Porsche go from the above to the monster below in just a few years marcush, John Barnard missing perhaps?

Steven
Owner

Ferrari typo 055 of 2005 (shot at Maranello)

marcush.

xpensive wrote:But how could Porsche go from the above to the monster below in just a few years marcush, John Barnard missing perhaps?
story goes:Mezger had no real budget to do the new engine and so he just put two of the old V6 together and voila -we have a V 12 ....some similarities are visible..apart from shared bank angles of the v...
I think it was a lack of funds (TAG bankrolled the first project,the V12 was a Footwork founded project as far as I know ,and those where already running into trouble...)

Somehow Mr.Mezger combined the V6 beauty with the middle power takeoff of the old flat 12s to create the Über Formula 1 engine...but Honda had moved the goal posts out of reach already when Porsche was leaving formula 1 last time...so it may well have been a matter of ignorance in terms of acknowledging the state of the art ...that chunky beast carried reportedly 50 kg fat and was impossibly long as well...
Last edited by marcush. on 10 Nov 2013, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.