A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
roon

Re: A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

Rare view there. That V4 is so short. The transmission casing is like five times longer than the engine. Still mounting the H at an angle above the intake manifold, it seems.

iichel

It's difficult to see whether the GU-H is in yaw or not. Suspect you're right.
The engine is indeed incredibly compact, but you only need two cylinders in a row. The clutch and everything is probably in the gear box casing and the alternator and pumps are probably at the front.

The layout with a hot V and at turbo allow for the great packaging at the top, and the intercoolers are probably located as close to the inlet manifold as they can get it.

I love watching it.

Did you notice the red signs "KEEP CALM and remove BEFORE FLIGHT" in the sidepods? :mrgreen:

AJI
AJI

iichel wrote:
14 May 2018, 10:57
The layout with a hot V and at turbo allow for the great packaging at the top, and the intercoolers are probably located as close to the inlet manifold as they can get it...
I don't think it's a hot V? It looks like the turbo is fed from the outside of the V and the GU-H is mounted in the V to keep it close to the waste gate..?

djos

Can someone please explain to me how the GU-H layout works?

I'm assuming the V4 has a normal turbo layout but all the waste heat from the turbo drives a second down stream turbine linked to an electric generator?
"In downforce we trust"

J.A.W.

(Pssst.. this thread is supposed to be about 'images', & there aint nonsuch, so far on this page.. 'just sayin'')
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

iichel

I stand corrected. It's not a hot V.
I guess the GU-H is almost the same as the F1 MGU-H except it doesn't power the compressor/turbine but only harvests.

roon

djos wrote:
14 May 2018, 12:42

I'm assuming the V4 has a normal turbo layout but all the waste heat from the turbo drives a second down stream turbine linked to an electric generator?
I believe so. Sequential turbo, in that sense, with only one attached to a compressor. Maybe it's tied in with the primary turbo's wastegate as well. That could be a workaround for any VGT bans. The primary turbo could be designed around a lot of wastegate bypass and actuation. Is VGT legal in LMP1?

AJI
AJI

roon wrote:
15 May 2018, 00:38
djos wrote:
14 May 2018, 12:42

I believe so. Sequential turbo, in that sense, with only one attached to a compressor. Maybe it's tied in with the primary turbo's wastegate as well. That could be a workaround for any VGT bans. The primary turbo could be designed around a lot of wastegate bypass and actuation. Is VGT legal in LMP1?
I think i read somewhere that they use VGT on the TC. Not sure about the GU-H turbine though. I'm pretty sure the car only has two exhaust pipes, but maybe 3 for full bypass if the H fails?

LM10

That's not a picture. But I wanted to share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ll-QLST3U

iichel

One more 919 image from the facebook group Mulsannes Corner

roon

Another 90* Mercedes racing V6 with a big pump hanging off the front, and an electrical machine between the cylinder banks. The 2.5L naturally aspirated M 106 from the mid-nineties, fielded in DTM.

The volutes even exit in same lower right quadrant.

J.A.W.

Now.. if you're really gonna strap on a turbine.. as Bruce Wayne sez.. 'Make it a doozy'..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

strad

J.A.W.;
What is that monster?
In keeping with the thread... I always thought the Areil square 4 was a pretty little engine.
Back when I was riding limeys a friend owned one and while it didn't handle particularly well it had gobs of power compared to the Triumphs and BSAs.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tommy Cookers

that is a unique private 1980s build by Peter Wakefield in the UK
(to have Ariel conventional swinging-arm rear suspension ie hydraulically damped)
there was never a factory mk 4
the conventional Ariel (singles and twins from 1955) was good - years later used to win the UK hillclimb championship

production Sq 4s ended with mk 2 (4-pipe all-alloy) after the now-called Mk1 (2-pipe all-alloy) and previous iron engine
postwar Squariels had Ariel's unique (Anstey ?) version of 'plunger' suspension
this had a link to give correct chain tension and as other plungers damping only from incidental friction
quite long travel but little damping - not a good system for speed merchants but good with sidecars
(for about 5 years after WW2 only doctors etc were allowed to buy new cars)

the mk 3 was a factory prototype only - yes the suspension was different
seemingly a few developed Squariels were later made in Canada - 1150 cc ohc ?
and Healey in the UK built about 50 with overhauled used mk 2 engines and the Egli frame
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 13 Jun 2018, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

strad

I just grabbed that picture to show one. I have no idea what year/mark my friends was. I just know it was faster than my Triumph and other friends BSAs etc.. Most of our limeys fell into the 58s or so years.
I always felt it was cool looking for a motorcycle engine of that era.
Thanks for the info though.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss