2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Does a single pipe V6 sound like a V12?

motobaleno

2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

WilliamsF1 wrote:Does a single pipe V6 sound like a V12?
no

aleks_ader

Sound? Definetly is not V6 Turbo...

But...

I see some carbon roof-hoof intakes like Maserrati GT1 c12 car on top of the roof and slight odd shaped sidepod itakes.

But is all relative because Ferrari put those zebras camouflage patterns.

Actually Ferrari could test some components for 2014, but all Twitter and other fame made those a bit "stinky" :? ...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

Ferrari really test something?

aleks_ader wrote:Sound? Definetly is not V6 Turbo...

But...

I see some carbon roof-hoof intakes like Maserrati GT1 c12 car on top of the roof and slight odd shaped sidepod itakes.

But is all relative because Ferrari put those zebras camouflage patterns.

Actually Ferrari could test some components for 2014, but all Twitter and other fame made those a bit "stinky" :? ...

I think this really is something differend...

This test mule is reall some modification of current La Ferrari...

Look how they differend are those mules?

....but if it is connected with F1 or just ordinary GT developmend? Who knows!
Last edited by Steven on 30 Nov 2013, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quotes
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

turbof1

Are they allowed to tracktest the 2014 engine? Obviously it's not a F1 car if they really put the engine inside it, but they can modify the internal packaging to be very similar to the 2014 car.
#AeroFrodo

CBeck113

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... eme-Dz_-OM
There are two Laferrari in this video, and there is a distinct difference in the sound.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

xpensive

turbof1 wrote:Are they allowed to tracktest the 2014 engine? Obviously it's not a F1 car if they really put the engine inside it, but they can modify the internal packaging to be very similar to the 2014 car.
How can anyone tell that it's a 2014 engine, when they are not yet homologated, I'm sure Honda will test endlessly in 2014?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

i70q7m7ghw

Re: Winter Testing 2013/14

Looks like Merc are testing at Silverstone today
https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 1909968896

markn93

Merc running a 2011 car at Silverstone today, (called a 'driver evaluation' but I've never heard of teams doing that in the offseason).

Perhaps a V6 in there? Would love some video/audio.

turbof1

xpensive wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Are they allowed to tracktest the 2014 engine? Obviously it's not a F1 car if they really put the engine inside it, but they can modify the internal packaging to be very similar to the 2014 car.
How can anyone tell that it's a 2014 engine, when they are not yet homologated, I'm sure Honda will test endlessly in 2014?
There are a number of ways a team can cheat undetected; that was not the point. I'm just asking if they are allowed to test the engine.
#AeroFrodo

Matt Somers

markn93 wrote:Merc running a 2011 car at Silverstone today, (called a 'driver evaluation' but I've never heard of teams doing that in the offseason).

Someone I know goes to Silverstone UTC and is remarking on the audio difference from a V8, however they are running the exhausts on top of the Sidepod not the W02's EBD positioning

Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

markn93

Matt Somers wrote:
markn93 wrote:Merc running a 2011 car at Silverstone today, (called a 'driver evaluation' but I've never heard of teams doing that in the offseason).

Someone I know goes to Silverstone UTC and is remarking on the audio difference from a V8, however they are running the exhausts on top of the Sidepod not the W02's EBD positioning

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaO387jCAAACOrE.jpg
Yeah I saw that pic and was wondering if the team would be able to have the single exhaust exit in one of those two shown. They wouldn't run it out of the engine cover as they'd be as good as admitting to running a new engine in there. The audio news is interesting, thanks for that.

turbof1

Re: 2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

No EBD or Coanda next year, so that seems logical.

Looking closely at the roll hope, they have outer air inlets installed. As far as I remember, the W02 didn't have that. Air intakes for the turbo?
Last edited by turbof1 on 29 Nov 2013, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

timbo

This is Ferrari V6 turbo from the old days. To me it sounds pretty close to that LaFerrari.

F1PuertoRico

they sound different indeed. i can hear some sort or pressure release off throttle (wastegate/by-pass/blow-off valve) and the pitch during acceleration is different.