2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Matt Somers

Re: 2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

turbof1 wrote:No EBD or Coanda next year, so that seems logical.

Looking closely at the roll hope, they have outer air inlets installed. As far as I remember, the W02 didn't have that. Air intakes for the turbo?
No I checked back the upper inlets weren't on the car at launch but did feature later, believe they were for the oil cooler mounted over the gearbox...
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

turbof1

Matt Somers wrote:

Looking closely at the roll hope, they have outer air inlets installed. As far as I remember, the W02 didn't have that. Air intakes for the turbo?
No I checked back the upper inlets weren't on the car at launch but did feature later, believe they were for the oil cooler mounted over the gearbox...
Yes, I've backchecked, a solution introduced at Monaco that year. There is always the possibility they repurposed them for the turbo. If that is the case, then very very cunning. Could also be installed in the sidepods of course.
Last edited by turbof1 on 29 Nov 2013, 17:08, edited 3 times in total.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

I think you can hear the turbo quite clearly in the video unless i´m hearing things.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Matt Somers

turbof1 wrote:
Matt Somers wrote:

Yes, I've backchecked, a solution introduced at Monaco that year. There is always the possibility they repurposed them for the turbo. If that is the case, then very very cunning. Could also be installed in the sidepods of course.
I'm really not convinced in anyway shape of form it's a V6 engine as you'd want the exhaust centreline to be representative.
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

turbof1

Perhaps. I think the most important thing is if the exhaust length is representative; next year the exhaust will be pretty aero neutral, and as this is an engine test, I believe it shouldn't matter where the exhaust is positioned now. It seems in any case a quick and easy fix.

The timing to run a F1 car now is anyhow very, very odd. No pirelli test has been announced, and you'd expect they wouldn't bother with small futilities to have a test in this period. Whatever they are doing, it has weight.
#AeroFrodo

Shrieker

It's definitely not a V twelve.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Ogami musashi

SectorOne wrote:I think you can hear the turbo quite clearly in the video unless i´m hearing things.
Yes i think too, you can hear that sound not only on braking but the whole time. plus it doesn't sound like the other videos of laferrari.

Clown

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Blanchimont wrote:The sound of the car at position 0:13 and 0:58 in the video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3H6Jxisfk ) sounds strange.
Sounds like compressor surge to me.

The MGU-H is overspooling the turbo at low RPM, which is feeding the engine more air than it can use. The only place the excess air can go is back out the turbo inlet, which causes the turbo RPM to rapidly fall and rise.

Compressor surge example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=nCj6Spwl1CU&t=46

FrukostScones

wuzak wrote:........

If it is the Ferrari V6T then I would have to say it sounds much better than the Renault or Mercedes engine sound preview.

And it would also mean they are ahead of the opposition, rather than behind and in trouble, as has so often been suggested.

Running in a car such as that would allow them to run things like the MGUK and MGUH without needing the final spec ES.
we never heard the other F1 2014 engine in a LaFerrari mule,

it only means Ferrari is testing its 2014 engine in a mule, it is a comfort but it does not say anything about the quality of the engine
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

agip

markn93 wrote:Someone I know goes to Silverstone UTC and is remarking on the audio difference from a V8, however they are running the exhausts on top of the Sidepod not the W02's EBD positioning
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z37nUczh5cA[/youtube]

That's a NA V8.

knabbel

On low RPM, this engine does not sound a V12 to me. I also think that I hear a straight cut gearbox. And the engine is way too loud for normal trackdays.

xpensive

Holy macro, Ferrari has a low-boost 1. 6 V6 that has the sound and grunt of a 6.0 V12, Alonso has the 2014 WDC in his pocket!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

knabbel

I was just thinking, there are some rumors that they are developing a LMP1 engine together with the F1 engine. LMP1 regulations allow a 2 liter turbo engine.....

gray41

Does seem strange for mercedes to do a driver evaluation, would there be a FIA official there?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

wuzak

knabbel wrote:I was just thinking, there are some rumors that they are developing a LMP1 engine together with the F1 engine. LMP1 regulations allow a 2 liter turbo engine.....
And this will be related closely to teh F1 engine.