2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
MOWOG

Re: 2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

Ahhhh, that is most interesting. Thank you both for illuminating me. But X, here is a question for you - do we really have ten fingers or 8 fingers and two thumbs? Is a thumb a finger or is it something else entirely?

Putting all that silliness aside, that is one Espace that I would dearly love to drive! \:D/
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

xpensive
xpensive

MOWOG wrote:Ahhhh, that is most interesting. Thank you both for illuminating me. But X, here is a question for you - do we really have ten fingers or 8 fingers and two thumbs? Is a thumb a finger or is it something else entirely?
You do know that I have lived in the Appalachians, don't you MOWOG?
Last edited by xpensive on 30 Nov 2013, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Ogami musashi wrote:
Holm86 wrote:This sounds way too low frequency to be a 1.6 turbo V6 that does 15.000 revs.

Either this is the LaFerrari V12 or it is a test mule with a V6 engine form an upcoming Ferrari California which is rumored to feature a V6 turbo engine in its next generation.
It sounds low frequency in the begining simply because they are going slow (if you listen to the subsequent main straight you'll hear the driver does not even shift) but the last pass the engine is quite high pitched (true not as mush as V10 or V8).
Exactly, ignore most of the video. It's the last few seconds on the last pass that I'm interested in. The rest of it just confirms it's a turbocharged engine. It's indeed pottering around mostly, then holds a gear for a short burst of WOT to higher revs. That frequency sounds like fairly high revs to me.

The regs say max 15,000rpm. No doubt they will all find ways of exploiting that.

Ferraripilot

That's it, it's just not being revved. 1:34 you hear the waste gate clear are day.

obradorista
obradorista

Ferraripilot wrote:That's it, it's just not being revved. 1:34 you hear the waste gate clear are day.
That is a Blow-Off valve, isn't it? Also, as discussed in the general 2014 engine thread, it is not clear that F1 engines would have a waste gate, I imagine, to make the most of the exhaust energy in the MGUH.

markn93

Interesting, no idea if they are credible or not.

http://mobile.f1today.nl/en/news/bexclu ... t-fiorano/

shelly
shelly

i found it an interesting communication strategy from ferrari, whatever the engine is. A couple of twitter images and an "unofficial" clip no one could have filmed without ferrari's permission.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

thats definately NOT a V12.

Can't make up if it's really the V6T but wouldn't surprise me at all, sounds exactly lika a engine under development
that is being tested first run. It's probably put in the LaFerrari mule which might very well just be a 'skin', hiding an
older Ferrari F1 underneath. They can just aswell have run a LaFerrari 'normal' mule and then spooned in the V6T to
make comparisons.
It might be a good platform to put the engine under some load. And to add loads of tech devices around which measure
various data, without possibly giving away some information that gets externally visible on an actual F1 car.

Are the teams allowed to hang a new V6T engine in a old-spec [2010 for example] F1 car? would that be any good?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dan.k
dan.k

On the first lap in video Sounds like they are reving it per 1000rpm at stages i think i can hear it rev at exacly same Tone and then it flipps Up an notch. definetly a turbo engine not some N/A crap ;) in the first corner u can hear the blowof/wastegate valve opening a couple of times

BTW.. Thats some sick BOOOST presure!! :) Forza Ferrari!!

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

LaFerrari would be a good testmule anyway, it also has Kers and even more power than is expected from the V6...

So "just" switch the Kers unit to F1 one, the other parts should handle the forces of the V6 then rather well I would guess.

jamsbong
jamsbong

I think it is difficult to make out if it is a V6 because turbo muffles the engine tone. The Pagani Huayra is a good example of a V12 that has lost its beautiful voice because blocked by turbo.

One thing is clear, it is a force induction engine with a HUGE wastegate. Also the deep tone indicates a large diameter exhaust.

Although not the same noise, I quite like it. Like the Audi Quattro in Group B rallies, the sound is unique. I think if this is the 2014 F1 engine, all fans will be happy... And Bernie will be happy too as long as he gets the $$$. LOL.

Kai
Kai

jamsbong wrote:I think it is difficult to make out if it is a V6 because turbo muffles the engine tone. The Pagani Huayra is a good example of a V12 that has lost its beautiful voice because blocked by turbo.

One thing is clear, it is a force induction engine with a HUGE wastegate. Also the deep tone indicates a large diameter exhaust.

Although not the same noise, I quite like it. Like the Audi Quattro in Group B rallies, the sound is unique. I think if this is the 2014 F1 engine, all fans will be happy... And Bernie will be happy too as long as he gets the $$$. LOL.
The new F1 engines don't run wastegates.

ecapox

We have suggested, and calculated, here that they will not run a wastegate. It has yet to be proven. It is possible that Ferrari will do something different than what you all have calculated.

In that video, there is a wastegate. But is that the Ferrari v6?? Who knows.

motobaleno

ecapox wrote:We have suggested, and calculated, here that they will not run a wastegate. It has yet to be proven. It is possible that Ferrari will do something different than what you all have calculated.

In that video, there is a wastegate. But is that the Ferrari v6?? Who knows.
are you sure that it is a wastegate? to me sounds more like a pop off

analisi tecnica.com reported that is known that Ferrari used to have one Laferrari modified to use as a test car

jamsbong
jamsbong

Kai wrote:The new F1 engines don't run wastegates.
Oh OK.
I tried using my earphone to hear the sound again.
The exhaust noise actually sound like a V8. Not too disimilar to the 458.
The high pitch spinning noise would be the electric motor. The motor has similar noise to the LeMans LMP1 Audi.

The turbocharge surge like noise could also be the noise from the motor.
What do you all think?