Bore x stroke

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Rafael de Oliveira
Rafael de Oliveira

Bore x stroke

Somebody have the bore and stroke dimensions of the new F1 V8 engines ?

yeah

manchild
manchild

Same as V10

Spencifer_Murphy

anybody know what the figures are though?! :shock:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

manchild
manchild

98/45 I think, not sure... something like that

Reca
Reca

New rules on engine limit bore to a maximum of 98 mm and very likely most of teams will tend to the maximum, consequently stroke has to be 39.7 mm

BTW, did you know that Cosworth collaborated with FIA to write the rules for the V8 ? I’ve never seen it reported in news, but the man who told it to me is usually a reliable source.
If it’s true it’s no surprise variable length intake are now banned considering that Cosworth was the only manufacturer not using them on the V10...

Scuderia_Russ

Reca wrote:New rules on engine limit bore to a maximum of 98 mm and very likely most of teams will tend to the maximum, consequently stroke has to be 39.7 mm

BTW, did you know that Cosworth collaborated with FIA to write the rules for the V8 ? I’ve never seen it reported in news, but the man who told it to me is usually a reliable source.
If it’s true it’s no surprise variable length intake are now banned considering that Cosworth was the only manufacturer not using them on the V10...
Can you imagine if Ferrari had collaborated with the F.I.A. on the V8...Christ, Manchild would have had a field day! :lol:

manchild
manchild

:roll:

you mean they didnt then?

manchild
manchild

Who, me?

Reca
Reca

I didn’t want to start a conspiracy theory... was just pointing out one of the possible reasons for the removal of the variable length intakes, after all isn’t a particularly complex or expensive technology so the ban was, IMO, curious.
Anyway, assuming that the info is true, I’m convinced that it was a good idea to ask help from an engine manufacturer, after all the rules needed to be pretty specific (particularly on materials) and certainly, in that light, Cosworth was probably the best choice.
Nevertheless it’s indubitable that if instead of Cosworth it was Ferrari, the reactions in the news (and by manchild ;-)) would have been very very different.