Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
stevesingo

Re: Honda Power Unit

Mattchu wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 19:29
stevesingo wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 18:57
The basis of the FiA claim that the PUs were within 0.3sec is a comparison of 2017 Ferrari, Merc and Renault only.
And is also absolute rubbish IMO...0.3 seconds where? Over a quarter mile, a mile, they just plucked this number from somewhere so no one looks to bad!

Anyway the Honda PU certainly seems to be a lot better now, maybe not top end grunt but driveability looks better and it`s certainly more reliable. I reckon a lot of that is through software/mapping, etc.
0.3sec at Barcelona. Do you even follow this sport?

makecry

Mattchu wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 19:29
stevesingo wrote:
The basis of the FiA claim that the PUs were within 0.3sec is a comparison of 2017 Ferrari, Merc and Renault only.
And is also absolute rubbish IMO...0.3 seconds where? Over a quarter mile, a mile, they just plucked this number from somewhere so no one looks to bad!

Anyway the Honda PU certainly seems to be a lot better now, maybe not top end grunt but driveability looks better and it`s certainly more reliable. I reckon a lot of that is through software/mapping, etc.
Around Barcelona.How is this even a question?

etusch

stevesingo wrote:
etusch wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 18:48
According to FIA all 3 PU performs in 0.3 sec. No body accepted this but they have knowledge about all teams. Maybe teams also have datas about rivals. We can only directly compare PUs, with their visible performance, if all engines are used in same chassis with same settings.
There are 4 PU suppliers (Ferrari, Merc, Renault and Honda) and 5 PUs (inc 2016 Ferrari PU used by Sauber).

Maybe I used wrong word. I wrote"except Honda" but deleted. Because I thought everyone knows that. I am a Honda fan. How could I have missed Honda :mrgreen:

PlatinumZealot

Yeah but Barcelona is downforce circuit. So it hides the PU contribution a lot.

According to Martin Brundle the Ferrari is 2% down on Mercedes, the Renault is 6% down and the Honda is 11% down. Didn't say where it is fuel efficiecny averages over the season, or raw power, or race trim.. so it is anyone's guess the context of it, but it is still very alarming.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NL_Fer

I find today’s 0,6s on Ferrari just as disturbing.

wuzak

Blaze1 wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 16:44
I'd be surprised if the Mercedes ICE is outputting 800bhp, because that would equate to around 54% thermal efficiency with the MGU-H contribution.
Just picked 800hp as a nice round number.

Mattchu

Sorry for not following every little bit of detail that comes out, nowhere in the previous posts is Barcelona mentioned, even another poster "hadn`t seen that".
So....it`s apparently 0.3 seconds around Barcelona, i still say no chance even if it`s just the Merc, Ferrari and Renault. Just from the times we see elsewhere [and i know Barcelona is a short track] it doesn`t seem feasible. Maybe i`m wrong, wouldn`t be the first or last time!

People ask a question when they don`t know something, save it with the snarky comments...
Last edited by Mattchu on 26 Nov 2017, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

McHonda

Mattchu wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 14:20
Sorry for not following every little bit of detail that comes out, nowhere in the previous posts is Barcelona mentioned, even another poster "hadn`t seen that".
So....it`s apparently 0.3 seconds around Barcelona, i still say no chance even if it`s just the Merc, Ferrari and Renault. Just from the times we see elsewhere [and i know Barcelona is a short track] it doesn`t seem feasible. Maybe i`m wrong, wouldn`t be the first of last time!

People ask a question when they don`t know something, save it with the snarky comments...
It was a little bit muddled tbf, they first denied there was even a time target set on it and it was more complicated than that but then Charlie came out and said 0.3. They also at no point before the results were announced said only 3 out of 4 Manufacturers needed to comply to meet the convergence target. Bit dodgy.

The comparison also threw out qualifying,in-out laps and any lap with a difference of over 0.500 which is what Red Bull were complaining about as it effectively ruled out every lap Mercedes and Ferrari used their highest modes which is where Renault lack so Renault easily made the 0.3 despite being no closer in the highest modes in qualifying and the race.

All a bit pointless tbh.

fellowhoodlums

I assume we have no info as to what Honda are bringing to the test? We know there are two cars, one for tyre test.

ArcticWolfie

I saw Alonso overtaking Massa today... on the straight :shock:

bauc

ArcticWolfie wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 18:35
I saw Alonso overtaking Massa today... on the straight :shock:
Warmed up tires + better exit from turn 7.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

JonoNic

Mr. Wazari. The season is over. We eagerly await your promised response from you.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

maguetox

JonoNic wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 19:25
Mr. Wazari. The season is over. We eagerly await your promised response from you.

Mr. Wasari... torch this forum with your comments.

etusch

JonoNic wrote:

I also looking forward to see it

MrPotatoHead

maguetox wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 19:50
JonoNic wrote:

Mr. Wasari... torch this forum with your comments.
If you meant to say "torch" that is hilarious :-)