Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
McMika98
McMika98

Re: Honda Power Unit

godlameroso wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 01:38

Catch this year's Renault.
Well i expect Renault and Ferrari to start the season with more or less same power as last years with improved reliability. Apart from Merc, all others were focused on reliability over the winter break as per reports. I was hoping Honda make a jump this season, we will see in Barcelona testing.

Again the engines may bunch up in race modes but in quali, i think Merc will extend the gap.

Big Mangalhit

Squid wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 06:23
GhostF1 wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 22:28
Big Mangalhit wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 18:03
Since they used something like 9 ICE's and TC's I don't think MGU-H is the only thing they need to improve. Also it's hard to predict what will happen in the tests- Last year by this time everybody was saying they needed to improve energy deployment and efficiency and nobody was saying they needed to improve the oil chamber and MGU-H bearings. And yet they really needed to take care of that and almost had no teste because of such. Hopefully this year they'll start with the right foot.
This has been discussed to death. The major Achilles heel was the MGU-H, it was literally the root cause of failure 99% of the time, I believe Canada was an actual ICE issue where Hasegawa was quoted as being shocked, as it was the first time they'd seen this issue before.

It was developed by McLaren and other outside companies. The issue was exacerbated by the oil blow by from the Honda PU. Hard to fine tune this when it isn't your own component.
Several occasions the MGU-H detonated and terminally damaged the entire PU due to its location.

Honda have since stated they intend to utilise their own design they have been working on, however they also said some of the "Hybrid componentry" will still need to be sourced from McLaren at the start, but it will eventually become an entirely Honda affair. When that will be, I'd probably think mid season. Either way, bring on the car reveals, testing and the Aus GP pls. This wait is killing me now
And even when the TC and ICE survived, might as well change them for new units since they will be starting at the back anyway. Good for implementing small upgrades and to get more mileage out of the parts.

The engine component usage chart made the other components look unreliable when they were actually fine.
No completely truth that the MGU-H was the only problem. It was also the oil tank and vibration... at least. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13086 ... 7-troubles

Also Honda used 8 and 9 MGU-K; and 7 ES/CE in their cars, which are quite separated from the MGU-H. This year they can only use 2!!

You can claim that they did it because they already had penalties but truth is that EVERY OTHER CAR used only 4 of each of these components with some of them only using 2 of the ES/CE!!
So even tho all 3 other manufacturers show great reliability on all parts (especially MERC/Ferrari which out of 12 cars only Vet and Ham got a single penalty) Honda is still a big question mark. I am all for wishful thinking but if you think that their problems were strictly coming from the MGU-H I think you are completely wrong.

Luckily it is possible that they solved their combustion principles and that operations run smoother this year, also maybe they'll have and easier time integrating in a more low pressure environment of STR. I mean who the hell would care if Brandon Hartley were saying he was on a GP2 engine...

HPD

McMika98 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 00:16
Sadly, it appears the new Honda unit will be trialling all 3 other manufacturers like it has done the last 3 years. :( The nightmare still continues in 2018 by the looks of things.

Straight from the horse's mouth, Dr Marko is quoted on amus that after having run RA618 equivalent (spec 4,5.0) on test benches, he thinks that Honda may catch Renault around midseason! So i guess all the pre season hype and speculation can go straight in the bin. Merc having proven reliability last year, will most definitely raise the power while the remainders try to get the reliability in place. Its going to be another Mercedes domination, yawn.
Just to clarify something, the official appointment of Marko is from the RACER article.

At no time speaks of the 4.5 engine or test in a bank.
He says that with the second update of the "new" engine can reach Renault.

The second Honda update we do not know for when it is. But I think it will be the gp of España.
Regards :)

RonDennis
RonDennis

Big Mangalhit wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 11:14
Squid wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 06:23
GhostF1 wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 22:28

This has been discussed to death. The major Achilles heel was the MGU-H, it was literally the root cause of failure 99% of the time, I believe Canada was an actual ICE issue where Hasegawa was quoted as being shocked, as it was the first time they'd seen this issue before.

It was developed by McLaren and other outside companies. The issue was exacerbated by the oil blow by from the Honda PU. Hard to fine tune this when it isn't your own component.
Several occasions the MGU-H detonated and terminally damaged the entire PU due to its location.

Honda have since stated they intend to utilise their own design they have been working on, however they also said some of the "Hybrid componentry" will still need to be sourced from McLaren at the start, but it will eventually become an entirely Honda affair. When that will be, I'd probably think mid season. Either way, bring on the car reveals, testing and the Aus GP pls. This wait is killing me now
And even when the TC and ICE survived, might as well change them for new units since they will be starting at the back anyway. Good for implementing small upgrades and to get more mileage out of the parts.

The engine component usage chart made the other components look unreliable when they were actually fine.
No completely truth that the MGU-H was the only problem. It was also the oil tank and vibration... at least. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13086 ... 7-troubles

Also Honda used 8 and 9 MGU-K; and 7 ES/CE in their cars, which are quite separated from the MGU-H. This year they can only use 2!!

You can claim that they did it because they already had penalties but truth is that EVERY OTHER CAR used only 4 of each of these components with some of them only using 2 of the ES/CE!!
So even tho all 3 other manufacturers show great reliability on all parts (especially MERC/Ferrari which out of 12 cars only Vet and Ham got a single penalty) Honda is still a big question mark. I am all for wishful thinking but if you think that their problems were strictly coming from the MGU-H I think you are completely wrong.

Luckily it is possible that they solved their combustion principles and that operations run smoother this year, also maybe they'll have and easier time integrating in a more low pressure environment of STR. I mean who the hell would care if Brandon Hartley were saying he was on a GP2 engine...
Correct, nobody expects anything from Toro Rosso. They were fighting with Sauber at the end of the last year. That's probably a good thing for Honda, less pressure. I really hope they will show some major improvements, but reading these stories about a big update in the second half of the year, sounds like a story that we've heard before.

McMika98
McMika98

HPD wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 12:23
Just to clarify something, the official appointment of Marko is from the RACER article.

The second Honda update we do not know for when it is. But I think it will be the gp of España.
You make the same point which is, Honda will start 2018 season behind every manufacturer. Spec4.0 was last years engine so the new engine will prolly be an update as mentioned here but alas it just does not appear to have the power to dream of. 😜

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Remember, best Renault powered car is Red Bull.

If you can catch Renault by mid season then expect a Red Bull team deal with Honda before the end of season.

Red Bull Honda winning races in 2019

restless
restless

McMika98 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 19:12
HPD wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 12:23

You make the same point which is, Honda will start 2018 season behind every manufacturer. Spec4.0 was last years engine so the new engine will prolly be an update as mentioned here but alas it just does not appear to have the power to dream of. 😜
Especially for winter testing I bet they will want reliability before power.

etusch

They were very good on development at the last part of last season. From every point of view Honda's PU at tests will be more powerfull than even spec 4.0, I believe. They have data, base to put on, time and very big margine to develop. :D

HPD

HPD

roon
roon

No wonder the RA615H didn't fit the chassis, they built it to completely the wrong scale.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

2015 and 2016 turbo was so high.. why even go to the trouble of sticking it in the vee?

Also wtf no wastegate in 2015 ?

wuzak
wuzak

Mudflap wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 00:59
2015 and 2016 turbo was so high.. why even go to the trouble of sticking it in the vee?

Also wtf no wastegate in 2015 ?
Didn't the turbo have an internal wastegate?

And separate wastegate pipes were not allowed.

The position of the turbo is pretty much set by the rules. It has to be with its axis parallel to the crankshaft axis and within 15mm of the crankshaft axis.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Could have been an internal WG, can't tell from that picture though.

Look how much the turbo has dropped in 2017. CG must have been all over the place.

wuzak
wuzak

sorry, double post.